"Old Knives"

Henry Sears Harness Jack
C5hc1o9.jpg

Added an interesting Schrade Cut Co etched barlow to the pile, etch is Wm. P. Walter's Sons, not and Sons. Found information that they were a tool supplier on Market St in Philadelhia that started in 1831 and supposedly went out of business around 1900. That does not jive with Schrade Cut history as they started 1904. My opinion is the plain bolster Schrade Cut barlow is an early knife, later had either a S or Schrade spelled out. You would expect this barlow to have an arched tang stamp but this one has the stamp that started around 1917 according to what I can find. Wonder if the tang stamp was used earlier than 1917 or Wm Walter's was in business much later than 1904 or so. Anyway's kind of shows how an etch can make things interesting history wise. Picture I found shows facade of building taken 1900.

Added an interesting Schrade Cut Co etched barlow to the pile, etch is Wm. P. Walter's Sons, not and Sons. Found information that they were a tool supplier on Market St in Philadelhia that started in 1831 and supposedly went out of business around 1900. That does not jive with Schrade Cut history as they started 1904. My opinion is the plain bolster Schrade Cut barlow is an early knife, later had either a S or Schrade spelled out. You would expect this barlow to have an arched tang stamp but this one has the stamp that started around 1917 according to what I can find. Wonder if the tang stamp was used earlier than 1917 or Wm Walter's was in business much later than 1904 or so. Anyway's kind of shows how an etch can make things interesting history wise. Picture I found shows facade of building taken 1900.

Interesting etched Barlow, John!! Just shows that some history records may not be accurate; or, someone switched a blade??? :rolleyes:
Nice knife, and enigma, regardless😁

Augie I had the same challenge with a knife- that looked very good - as in unmolested and like you there was a few years window of uncertainty.

Now for the life of me I cannot remember - so it will keep popping up in my head - I think it was a Punch Patent Date. :confused:

Interesting etched Barlow, John!! Just shows that some history records may not be accurate; or, someone switched a blade??? :rolleyes:
Nice knife, and enigma, regardless😁

Augie I had the same challenge with a knife- that looked very good - as in unmolested and like you there was a few years window of uncertainty.

Now for the life of me I cannot remember - so it will keep popping up in my head - I think it was a Punch Patent Date. :confused:

Thanks guys, I think the most likely scenario is the date the company went out of business is not correct, I could only find one reference that had 1900 with a question mark, most likely it lasted until 1910 to 1917 or so. There is a reprint catalog out there with Wm. P. Walter's Sons dated 1888.

Oh my!!!!

What a Treasure!

Rob that is just gorgeous!, Didn't Schrade know just how the place a Swage on a Blade!!! Just one thing though my friend ..................................................... you need to stop scribbling on your Blades 🤣 🤣

Back