"Old Knives"

I think that may be possible, if the person or organization would approach it through the proper channels. Historic preservation and documentation is important to what they have done. i will also ask about the list of knife and axe manufactors next time. I will ask the family member giving the tour the next time I get there.

Great idea!!!

The Steamboat Arabia Museum is a great place to visit. On my way out to Utah a couple months ago I made a stop there and it was awesome. The boat contained enough frontier supply to open a museum. very much worth the stop if you ever have the chance.
The cutlery is amazing and if someone with good cutlery credentials had the notion to study them there could be a lot learned of the time period. They have not sold a nail from the collection it is all there and saved as a complete time capsule of the 1850's.
The amount of Russell Green River Knives blew me away.
Here are a few pictures.
Burnt Stag
pKzsmJY.jpg

r2EVNxC.jpg

E2otC0V.jpg

nEka1uW.jpg

HDrFFQ3.jpg

bMpFkAm.jpg

Thanks for the additional pictures and the items look to be displayed quite nicely. As you said, it is all simply amazing.

Thanks Jfowler, Jake and Herder for the kind comments on the KK Congress I posted photos of! Thanks Jake for the catalog cut out of this KK Congress.

Nice NYKC Coke bottle Stuart! Love that vintage pattern:thumbsup:.

Thanks Burnt Stag for the fascinating photos of the knives from the Steamboat Arabia Museum! Very intriguing to say the least:thumbsup:

Here is another Congress folder a Robeson PocketEze I just recently acquired. Pattern no. 642431 (1922--1939). It is 3.75 inches closed. All sunken joints. It is in very good used condition. It has just wonderful glassy smooth W&T and none of the blades when opened have any lateral blade play.
IMG_1346.jpg IMG_1348.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Luger1932. A couple of folks like the old hunters.

Nice old knife, and who doesn't like a big old folding hunter? :)
Herder, your comment reminded me that I had a couple of hunters close to the NYKC Hammer Brand (which lambertiana informed me may be 1931 or earlier) in age and lineage. Here, left to right, a Schatt & Morgan (5.25" 1903-1932), Crown Cutlery Co. (5.25" 1916-1919), and the Hammer (5.5" 1931 or earlier).
ipsXoax.jpg

Plus the related Queen Steel Model 35 (5.25" 1932-1955) with a Case Pattern 35 (1940-1964).
rk1P2VM.jpg

- Stuart

Great examples Luger and Duckdog. Very cool "Pocket Eze" shield on the Robeson, and nice grouping of folding hunter models.
Wonderful pinched slant bolsters on the "CCC" which is an uncommon brand to find.

This Curtin & Clark double end jack (?) is from 1910-1920, I believe. From what I've learned from the forums, some (all) of their knives were made by Tidioute Cutlery in Pennsylvania. This is my only CCC knife and my knowledge is scant.
mU3PWc8.jpg

- Stuart

On the spear you can clearly see a good example of the old glazed finish that was so common back then. Glazed finish was used on less expensive knives, crocus (polished) on more expensive knives. According to BRL, it was common to find the mark side crocus polished and the pile side glazed.

Great examples Luger and Duckdog. Very cool "Pocket Eze" shield on the Robeson, and nice grouping of folding hunter models.
Wonderful pinched slant bolsters on the "CCC" which is an uncommon brand to find.
Thanks, herder. The CCC is a well-made knife (though I was worried when I saw the first pinch - I thought it was a dent, until I saw the matching 3 others). Fulsome swedges and nail marks on both blades. Still tight (clip is too tight) and wobble-free - I don't think that it has been used. I'm going to carry it, but may cut stuff with a regular EDC and keep it clean.

On the spear you can clearly see a good example of the old glazed finish that was so common back then. Glazed finish was used on less expensive knives, crocus (polished) on more expensive knives. According to BRL, it was common to find the mark side crocus polished and the pile side glazed.
Thank you for the follow-up, lambertiana. The time spent in these forums is well worth the education gained.

Great knife posted in the last few days while I was away, nice finds everyone!

Traded for this Baldwin Cutlery Co. New Orleans this weekend, probably 1900 to 1930, pretty sure they did not make knives but had knives made for them. Scarce smaller Washington Jack at 3 1/4", still has a blade etch, pretty sure it states I Cut Keen/I Cut Keen.
It also has flush and square joints which are not that common.

IMG_7181.jpg IMG_7180.jpg IMG_7185.jpg IMG_7186.jpg
IMG_7188.jpgIMG_7183.jpg

Traded for this Baldwin Cutlery Co. New Orleans this weekend, probably 1900 to 1930, pretty sure they did not make knives but had knives made for them. Scarce smaller Washington Jack at 3 1/4", still has a blade etch, pretty sure it states I Cut Keen/I Cut Keen.

View attachment 749864 View attachment 749865 View attachment 749866 View attachment 749867
View attachment 749869View attachment 749868
Augie, that is a fine knife and great pics. Thanks.
- Stuart

View attachment 749864 View attachment 749865 View attachment 749866 View attachment 749867
View attachment 749869View attachment 749868

nice find John, lots of life left on that actually!

Based on info gleaned from some "real Russell ?" threads, I'm not sure that the pin placements on this wood handled 3.75" specimen points to a real Russell. But it is old and it's a Barlow, and I like both of those criteria. It joined a modern Buck QuickFire in my pockets today.
JDyk5J8.jpg

18l1qHY.jpg

- Stuart

This is an amazing thread.
Now for a sincere question.

The condition of almost all of the knives here point toward a few possibilities (IMHO)
1) Many of these knives were sealed in air tight containers
2) They were well cared for, and basically unused their entire life
3) They may have had some minor "re-finishing" ie: sanding/polishing (to a very minor degree)
4) Almost everyone in this thread is luckier than the guy that won 34 lotteries

Given that most of these knives have carbon steel blades how did they survive? (that's my question)

Back