"Old Knives"

VP - I laughed when I saw Dave’s response to that neat Waterville Pearl. He is so right - great Colouration to the Pearl.
When Jack Black,Sue and I were lucky enough to have a long meeting with Stan Shaw he was telling us that in fact in those days Pearl was THE most expensive and difficult ( because of the nature of Pearl tending to crack when pinning) material to use.

So in the day that Waterville was a real cracker in its day - still is today. Long Pulls, typical amazing Swedge work on the Blades and also a Sunken Joint Knife! :eek:

Herder my friend - thank you :thumbsup:
In return that Ahlstrom looks to be everything you say plus more. Often these Swedish Knives such as this go slightly unnoticed- but as yours is - quite stunning Knives.
That is a beautiful example. :thumbsup:

Duck dog - man that Catt is a strikingly handsome Knife.
Robeson Jack, that Knife has Robeson’s typical amazing almost unbeatable jigged Bone that they are so well known for. A great pair.

[QUOTE

Here is an early post-war pearl handled gentleman's knife.
It's marked "Ahlstrom Eskilstuna Sweden" and has an unusual corkscrew which pivots sideways and then folds out.
With nickel silver liners, bolsters, and pins, it is very well made knife.

View attachment 831976

Beautiful knife, it appears to be an example of the Gottleib Hammesfahr 1897 patent. Made in Germany and Sweden. Stainless blades perhaps from the 1920s-30s.[/QUOTE]

Great information, thanks!!!
Here is a similar example from a Gottlieb Hammesfahr catalog c. 1908.

View attachment 832141

VP - I laughed when I saw Dave’s response to that neat Waterville Pearl. He is so right - great Colouration to the Pearl.
When Jack Black,Sue and I were lucky enough to have a long meeting with Stan Shaw he was telling us that in fact in those days Pearl was THE most expensive and difficult ( because of the nature of Pearl tending to crack when pinning) material to use.

So in the day that Waterville was a real cracker in its day - still is today. Long Pulls, typical amazing Swedge work on the Blades and also a Sunken Joint Knife! :eek:

Herder my friend - thank you :thumbsup:
In return that Ahlstrom looks to be everything you say plus more. Often these Swedish Knives such as this go slightly unnoticed- but as yours is - quite stunning Knives.
That is a beautiful example. :thumbsup:

Duck dog - man that Catt is a strikingly handsome Knife.
Robeson Jack, that Knife has Robeson’s typical amazing almost unbeatable jigged Bone that they are so well known for. A great pair.
Thanks Campbellclanman Campbellclanman @knowtracks D Duckdog

I learned some new terminology with your posts... "There's fire in that there pearl" ;) Pretty cool history with Waterville being one of the first major producers of knives here in the states. I also read that disgruntled workers from Waterville broke off and formed New York Knife Company... and the rest is history :D

- Kevin

Duck Dog, you can narrow the dates on that Robeson 056 jack to 1940 - 1948. After 48, such a knife would have had Strawberry Bone handles until about 1959 or 60 and strawberry Delrin after that.

That is a beautiful knife.

Duck Dog, you can narrow the dates on that Robeson 056 jack to 1940 - 1948. After 48, such a knife would have had Strawberry Bone handles until about 1959 or 60 and strawberry Delrin after that.

That is a beautiful knife.
Thanks, Charlie. for the information and generous comment. I was aware of the strawberry bone coming in (I thought it was in 1945 and I showed a Robeson barehead jack with strawberry earlier that I dated as 1945-1964), but did not realize that it would be the only bone that they offered. Makes sense, though. I'll go with 1940-1948 for this knife and 1948-1964 for the other. This is a good example of the benefits of this forum/thread and its contributors.
- Stuart

Imperial cattle knife. Could be Army Air Corp or USN BuAer. Imperial made 540,000 of these for the Army and an undetermined (at least by me) amount for the Navy.

Pile side has best cover. Wish I knew what happened to the main blade.

Imperial%2520AAC%2520Cattleknike%2520Closed.JPG

Imperial%2520AAC%2520Cattleknife%2520Tang.JPG

Imperial%2520Cattleknife.JPG

The only one that I handled did, it was marked on the bolster EF&S with a dot between E and F. The blade was stamped ENOS NESS over EN (it had been heavily worn by hitting the liner), but the stamp was similar to the Ed Furness one pictured on post #13901. The ones I have seen on Google images all seemed to have integral bolster liners as well. The one I have handled belongs to a friend who is a more serious collector than I, but I think I might be able to get another look at it. Were Furness Barlows also made with separate bolsters and liners as well?

I was talking about that particular Edward Furness Barlow Bart, which looks to be less old than some of the others here. If we can confirm either way, it might help about the discussion when integral bolsters stopped being used (though since other practices, like hand forging, use of water-power, hand-cutting of files, etc all ended at different times in the same city, depending on the manufacturer, I'm not sure how definitive dates can be given). Other Furness Barlows certainly do have integral bolsters :thumbsup:

A great day Duncan :) Pearl was of course also the most dangerous material to work, though I'm not sure anyone cared about that o_O :thumbsup:

Hey Jack
Can you please enlighten us more- as in Pearl being dangerous?
I’m not too sure if Stan mentioned this? Or perhaps you know something about this.
Thank you my friend.

Hey Jack
Can you please enlighten us more- as in Pearl being dangerous?
I’m not too sure if Stan mentioned this? Or perhaps you know something about this.
Thank you my friend.

Pearl dust is notoriously toxic Duncan. I asked Stan if he had ever been affected, he reckoned not, but for a man in his 90's, who spent most of his childhood in hospital, he has a surprisingly strong constitution! I doubt any pearl cutters and polishers, who worked with it day in day out, in unventilated workshops, lived to his ripe old age :(

I was talking about that particular Edward Furness Barlow Bart, which looks to be less old than some of the others here. If we can confirm either way, it might help about the discussion when integral bolsters stopped being used
Agreed my friend! It sure would be of great historical interest to place them in a chronological context (if it is not already too late to do so). My assumption that the English ones had integral bolsters was based on the one example belonging to my buddy. I think that one may be a fairly early example, based on the angular form of the ampersand symbol on the bolster mark when I looked at it after I posted earlier.

o78RdFt.jpg

gIeIw3m.jpg

8QPHdIe.jpg

Recent acquisitions. Left to right: Case, Case, Robeson, Remington.

I really like this small case boy's knife. It looks really similar to GEC's 15 and 14, though it is akin in size to the 14. I don't have a 14 to compare it with though.

Also the Remington is my first Hawkbill/Pruner knife, been wanting one for a while and I like this one a lot. I really like all four of these but my favorites are the Case Boy's Knife because of it's striking resemblance to the beloved 15 and 14 patterns (I think that's what it is, not sure what y'all would call it.) and the Hawkbill. The Robeson and Remington are my first knives in their respective brands. They sure are awesome!

Those Remington Pruners are simply fantastic- I picked up an extremely nice example like yours some time ago- it now resides at the North Dakota Pruner collection.
Beautiful Bone on the Case Barehead Jack. Not a lot of difference between That and a NY Knife Jig work - both perfect examples of amazing\Quality Bone Jigging.

Back