"Old Knives"

North Shore
I am sure my friend that I have a Enderes Jack or Cattle Knife somewhere.
I will have a look for you Sir.

I don’t think at all that these are German- ( from memory of viewing the Manufacture of my Knife ) I will will be back with some photos when I find the Knife.
I store most of my Knives away from Home these days so it takes a bit to get to them.

Getting back to the Enderes - now if I remember correctly- my Knife has the Utica Bone - near exact as to what the 80’s Winchester Black Box series Knives had as Handles, which could give strong leads as to whom manufactured the Knife.

Per Goins.
Founded in 1908 by Earnest Enderes in Littleport Iowa,1916 moved to Albert Lea, Minn. where he had 3 factories. Sold manufacturing in 1926 . Moved back to Iowa and jobbed out "original Enderes" trademark knives to other manufacturers,but made tools.

Enderes          Albert Lea, Minnesota.jpg Enderes          Albert Lea, Minnesota (2).jpg Enderes180.jpg Enderes Albert Lea Minn (2).jpg

Last edited:
Lyle, very nice Farmer’s/Gardner’s Jack:thumbsup::thumbsup:. The bone has a very pleasing coloration to it! Browns, hints of black, cinnamon, yellow mellow, brown sugar, a touch of brown mustard and honey—an amalgamation of sorts:) The bone handle jigging ain’t bad either:D

Thanks guys.

Mike the FJ shown also has the appearance of being Utica made, even though Enderes had a manufacturing facilities.

I think companies had interdependencies and farmed out orders occasionally for various reasons.

Not sure, I'd like to know more about my knife

Wow, those two are in outstanding condition! :eek: Where do you guys find these old Barlows?! :cool:

Check out the link I posted a couple of pages back for info and discussion on Furness Barlows in Charlie's Barlow thread. Edward Furness (1837-1907) was the younger brother of Enos, sons (along with Matthew Junior, Ralph, George Brown, and Charles) of Matthew (1808-1875) and Eliza. Here's their advert from the 1879 Sheffield Directory.

Furness.JPG

The other Barlow bears the mark of Samuel Barlow, and also the 'Barlow' mark originally registered by John Barlow (no relation to Samuel, but grandson of Obadiah Barlow) in 1745, and taken over by Samuel Barlow subsequent to John Barlow's death. Confusingly, John Barlow had a son called Samuel, but he emigrated to America, spending most of his life in Chicago, while Samuel Barlow's grandson was called John Barlow Mills. His father Henry Mills inherited the Barlow marks, having married Samuel's daughter - Yes, my head is spinning too! As with the Furness link, there's plenty more in Charlie's Barlow thread if you search for it. I think I've even posted a copy of the relevant section of Samuel Barlow's will. Plenty to get your teeth into there :)

Henry Mills.JPG

Great Post Jack :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Mike the FJ shown also has the appearance of being Utica made, even though Enderes had a manufacturing facilities.

I think companies had interdependencies and farmed out orders occasionally for various reasons.
What a great Farmers Jack once again Lyle.
It’s interesting that you say your Farmers Jack has indications of being Utica made- I am only going by memory of what the Enderes knife of mine having the darker and finer jigged Utica Bone - as I said yesterday like the Black Box series Knives which I believe used old Stock Utica Bone.
I must have a good Look for that Knife.

Jack would you know approximate dates on either of those two old Barlows? I've seen similar Ed Furness knives but not with the long pull and the scratted bone is always worn down on other ones I've seen.

No one knows more about Furness and Barlow than you, Jack! I wish I had the brain for the story in hiSTORY!!:rolleyes: (I was good in math though:p). I am waiting for your book!!!:)

An Enderes Cattle knife - probably a later one.
View attachment 831039 View attachment 831040

That's a very kind thing to say Charlie :) I know a fair bit about the history, but am yet to even handle one of those old knives, and my brain is going rapidly downhill! :D Wading through all the rubbish written about the history of both family and knives over the years is a chore in itself! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Smashing knife there my friend :thumbsup:

Jack would you know approximate dates on either of those two old Barlows? I've seen similar Ed Furness knives but not with the long pull and the scratted bone is always worn down on other ones I've seen.

Despite his modesty, I'm sure that Charlie is better qualified to answer that question than me :) However, Samuel Barlow and Ernest Mills produced Barlow knives with that stamp over a relatively short period of time, and by looking at their history, it's possible to put down markers.
Samuel Barlow acquired the Barlow trademark in 1799 (the year John Barlow died). He died himself, in 1850, having willed his property and effects to Henry Mills the previous year. Mills employed fifteen men in 1851, but in 1864 his workshops and tannery were badly damaged by The Great Sheffield Flood (still the biggest man-made disaster in British history), to the extent that work was suspended for many weeks. He was awarded £1700 in compensation, about half of what he had claimed. He claimed £400 for the loss of business in relation to the manufacture of "Barlow pen and pocket knives." Most of Mill's Barlow trade had been with America, where he sold his knives through merchants such as Sheffielder Benjamin James Eyre (1812-1878). By the 1870's, trade directories no longer listed Mill's business, and a decade later, the 1881 census records that Mills, then aged 71, employed only four workmen. He died that year. It's late here, so please let me get back to you about Edward Furness if I may (since the knife was almost certainly made for export to the US, the inclusion of 'England' on the tang-stamp is more significant than it might be on another knife) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yes, plastic of some kind.

Thanks Charlie

Now you have me scared.

I do remember keeping my Enderes with a couple of other UticaBone Cattle Knives - one from memory has a Buster Brown Shield- I’m thinking now that I may have my memory crossed over with the other Cattle Knives as such because- your amazing example is very similar to mine- I think I will have to source out the Knife once I finish work as this is interesting.

The colourful Edward Furness (see my posts in the Barlow thread) died in 1907, so assuming that the presence of 'England' on the tang-stamp of that Barlow relates to the McKinley tariff, it would appear to have been produced at the end of the 19th century (the last trade directory entry is 1889), or the very beginning of the 20th century. Certainly a cracking knife :thumbsup:

Edit - May I ask if the Barlow Barlow has integral bolsters?

Last edited:
The colourful Edward Furness (see my posts in the Barlow thread) died in 1907, so assuming that the presence of 'England' on the tang-stamp of that Barlow relates to the McKinley tariff, it would appear to have been produced at the end of the 19th century (the last trade directory entry is 1889), or the very beginning of the 20th century.
It is quite a puzzle. Levine would be way off in stating that knives with one piece bolsters and liners stopped being produced in 1860 or 1870 (he states both in different places) if the Furness knives with bolster-liners were still being produced after the McKinley Tariff was passed in October of 1890. Unless, perhaps, the Furness knives were already being marked England before 1890?

Great knife Lyle, in the catalog cut the lockback is a dead ringer for a Utica that I have. View attachment 830828 View attachment 830829

That looks like a Utica that I picked up in an antique store last year for $10. A previous owner seems to have disliked the swing guard.
kNVheoV.jpg

Back