"Old Knives"

Thank you everyone for the Eye Candy, Great Info Herder Sir on Charlie's amazing latest edition to his already wonderful collection, I was speaking to Charlie behind the scenes and Charlie asked if I could place up my electric Cut Co that I mentioned I own, this is one of my top 10 Jacks, Love it - it oooozes qulaity as these New York Knives do......

wWVWhfG.jpg

Thank you everyone for the Eye Candy, Great Info Herder Sir on Charlie's amazing latest edition to his already wonderful collection, I was speaking to Charlie behind the scenes and Charlie asked if I could place up my electric Cut Co that I mentioned I own, this is one of my top 10 Jacks, Love it - it oooozes qulaity as these New York Knives do......

wWVWhfG.jpg
I can't "resist" ;)

ECC2.jpg ECC1.jpg ECCJ-1B.jpg ECCJ-1C.jpg ECC3.jpg ECC5.jpg

Just back from first vacation and getting ready for the next to Titusvalle. Great Electric's everyone, Charlie that one with box is amazing, you just don't get to see vintage packaging from that era very often.

I only have one Electric, shows little use with some light corrosion stains.

IMG_9025.jpg IMG_9024.jpg IMG_9030.jpg IMG_9029.jpg

wWVWhfG.jpg
Real nice Jack, Duncan!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the quick response!! Didn't I just hang up the phone??:D

Thanks for posting yours also Kevin and Augie!!:)

I've just been "Electrified" by several great examples from Campbellclanman, V.P., and Augie, beautiful knives guys!!!
"Electric" was said to have been the second line to "New York Knife Co." after they purchased Electric.
But I would agree with Campbellclanman that the fit and finish on Electric models are as good as any other top quality American knife from that era.

Minty Electric, probably after purchase by NYK. Box and paper came with it. The box is marked "253". I don't have a book that shows the model numbers.
A little over 3 1/4", single spring. A little hefty for a pen knife, I'll call it a double-end Jack.
View attachment 954033 View attachment 954034

Thought I would bring this one over - it deserves another look!

The owners of Electric Cutlery actually bought New York Knife Co and continued to operate under their name. So they basically added their own line to the NYK as secondary to the Hammer Brand... however I don't think the quality of the Electric knives were that far behind ;) Below is an excerpt from one of Primble's great historical contributions to the traditional forum:

In 1903 Tom Bradley Jr. sold the New York Knife Company to the Fuller brothers the owners of the Electric Cutlery Company. The factory continued to prosper under the new management. The New York Knife Company in 1911, in order to shore up its market share, began producing the only official Boy Scout knife, a monopoly the company held until 1922. By 1913 the number of people employed by the company dropped to 327 individuals, which is a decrease of 63 people from 1905. The workforce was composed of 275 adult males, 41 adult females, 8 children between the ages of 14 and 16, and 3 office employees.
After it lost the monopoly on the production of the Boy Scout knives, the New York Knife Company could no longer compete successfully with the more modern knife producing factories. A notation on the 1924 Sanborn Insurance Map states the factory was not in operation, and the only employees were two night watchmen, indicating the factory may have had to shut down for short periods of time and had to temporarily lay off its workers. The condition of the company continued to worsen, especially after the 1929 stock market crash. The New York Knife Company factory continued to operate for parts of two more years before it was finally forced to shut down its operation for good in 1931.
The size of the factory and its yearly production totals made the New York Knife Company one of the largest knife companies in New York State, if not the United States, during this time period. The company also had one of the largest workforces and one of the better wage scales in the manufacturing industry. The company's workforce throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries included women and children under the age of 16. Although there were different pay rates for adult males, adult females, and children, the wage scales for each category was above the wages paid in other industries.
The wage scale from 1860 to 1875 for adult males averaged $36 a month; adult females, $18 a month; males under 18, $15 a month; and females under 18, $12 a month. By 1880 the wages were $ 2.25 a day, or $60.75 a month, for skilled jobs, and $1.50 a day, or $40.50 per month, for ordinary work. The work week during this period consisted of 6 10-hour days, and unlike many factories during this period, the New York Knife Company operated year-round. To put these wages in perspective, the average wage for manufacturing skilled workers in 1900 was $435 a year, or $33.50 a month; and for unskilled labor was only $22 a month; and even as late as 1974, a minimum-wage job would only pay only $16 a day. Both of these figures indicate that the New York Knife Company workers were being paid well above the average manufacturing salary as early as 1860.
The historical documentation revealed that the factory was expanded at least five times between 1856 and 1931. The expansions of the factory occurred between 1875 and 1880, 1885 and 1887, 1887 and 1894, 1894 and 1900, and 1900 and 1905. The excavation of 14 units revealed soil levels and features that represent four different periods of production at the New York Knife Company factory. The four periods are 1856 to 1880, 1880 to 1887, 1900 to 1905, and 1905 to 1931. Seventy-two percent of the site assemblage or 1,028 of the artifacts recovered from the site are either knife parts or artifacts associated with the knife manufacturing process,
These artifacts were further subdivided into five categories: raw materials, production scrap, knife parts, assembled parts, and tools and machinery, which reflect the entire process of knife manufacturing. Twenty-one percent, or 295, of the artifacts are architectural items. The architectural artifacts include cut and wire nails, screws, bolts and washers, window glass, electrical parts, plumbing parts, brick, and concrete. Seventy-nine, or 7%, of the artifacts recovered from the excavations are domestic artifacts. They include faunal items, ceramics, tin cans, bottle glass, oil or kerosene lamp chimney glass, kaolin pipes, and buttons.

Last edited:
The owners of Electric Cutlery actually bought New York Knife Co and continued to operate under their name. So they basically added their own line to the NYK as secondary to the Hammer Brand... however I don't think the quality of the Electric knives were that far behind ;) Below is an excerpt from one of Primble's great historical contributions to the traditional forum:

Good information, and a bit more to add...
After the New York Knife Company went out of business in 1931, Imperial acquired the rights to the "Hammer Brand" and "Electric" names in 1936. The Hammer Brand name was used extensively on various Imperial made knives, but it's not widely known that they also used the "Electric" brand for some time. The quality of those "new" Electric knives was certainly a far cry from the original models offered circa 1910 to 1930. Enclosed is a catalog illustration from 1939 showing a display card full of the new Electric knives.
"Electrically Tempered The Sure And Modern Way" :)

View attachment 955783

Good information, and a bit more to add...
After the New York Knife Company went out of business in 1931, Imperial acquired the rights to the "Hammer Brand" and "Electric" names in 1936. The Hammer Brand name was used extensively on various Imperial made knives, but it's not widely known that they also used the "Electric" brand for some time. The quality of those "new" Electric knives was certainly a far cry from the original models offered circa 1910 to 1930. Enclosed is a catalog illustration from 1939 showing a display card full of the new Electric knives.
"Electrically Tempered The Sure And Modern Way" :)

View attachment 955783
Wow I did not know they used the Electric name, cool! Thanks for the info herder, I will have to keep my open for one of those :thumbsup:

Back