"Old Knives"

Kevin, I hear you on not cleaning, but MAN THAT'S NICE!!! I too have purchased a cleaned knife because the covers are to die for:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Plus you can carry and give it the patina/character it deserves.

What a BEAUTIFUL knife my friend:cool::cool::cool:

NOTE: had to edit because I think I have the same knife with original? patina. Believe I posted here before but will check when i get home.

I was wrong Kevin, similar but different shield and nail knicks.

kwtKwY.jpg

EKVVpJ.jpg

Wow Paul!!!!! :eek: Stunner...Just a Stunner my friend!

Lloyd - keep fighting the fight my friend - stay with us- as we need the injection that you bring in the World of Knife Bling!

2uzbekw.jpg
nfkya8.jpg

First truely old knife for me, Challenge cut co. Bridgeport conn. Faint blade etch read Challenge with REG U.S.PAT.O under it. Would you guys consider that much difference in the jigging from side to side normal for this knife/era, or have I picked up one with a replaced cover? If its replaced it was done long ago as wear and patina on the pins match. I love the coloration of the pile side especially. Blade has a good swedge, sunlight was killing me, and this was in a shaded area

Nice Harness Jack, Hillbilly!! The jigged bone can easily vary that much, side to side.
Sometimes it came from the factory that way, and sometimes it sat in the sun a lot!!
Real nice example of a Challenge!!!:thumbsup:

It's hard to see the details, but it may have been made by Empire Knife, Winsted CT, on contract. A close-up of the punch might confirm that!!

Last edited:
Thanks waynorth waynorth , I got t storms rolling thru and I do everything from my phone,so taking forever to upload pics to tinypic. But the punch says Challenge Cut Co. Bridgeport conn on the mark side, and U.S.Pat.833146 on the pile side.

Here you go Kevin the bottom of the Whittlers showing the springs with middle wedges. Same order as before with Remington on top. As you can see the wedge or spacer on the Remington is much wider and robust looking. The complexity of this split back design is the pinnacle of traditional folding knife construction!7DB1EC0F-E800-4C4B-B8F5-08CBD56B2111.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice one Hillbilly- great HJ. You should place that one in the “ Magnificent HH” Thread.
I figured out HH was a typo, I found the thread and posted accordingly;)
Luger1952 Luger1952 the splitback is pretty new to me, only having seen various posts on the porch. Very cool pattern, I like how they allow for the main to be of thicker stock. Seems that would lend itself to a more robust blade.

Thanks waynorth waynorth , I got t storms rolling thru and I do everything from my phone,so taking forever to upload pics to tinypic. But the punch says Challenge Cut Co. Bridgeport conn on the mark side, and U.S.Pat.833146 on the pile side.
Patented by Seymour Alvord, for Empire Knife in 1906!!
Empire was huge over the turn of the century, making knives for many companies.

Here you go Kevin the bottom of the Whittlers showing the springs with middle wedges. Same order as before with Remington on top. As you can see the wedge or spacer on the Remington is much wider and robust looking. The complexity of this split back design is the pinnacle of traditional folding knife construction!View attachment 950609
Man that Remington is remarkable Lloyd... thank you so much for posting those pics :):thumbsup:

Terriers are great, Glenn! Does yours have the doggy tang stamp?

Thanks! No dog head stamp, just says Made in USA on back of main. Kinda wasn't sure it was legit, but was assured it was.

Back