"Old Knives"

Here's an interesting one I just got: a W.Saynor Ltd. grafting knife with "Depend" on the obverse. I believe the Depend mark was used between the mid 1800s to the mid 1900s. I don't know if the handle is horn, or Bakelite, or something else. I can't see much of a grain in it.
Saynor depend_1.jpg
Saynor depend_2.jpg
Saynor depend_3.jpg Saynor depend_4.jpg
I figure it used to be a sheepfoot blade, but it's sharpened down to a short lambsfoot. What do the Sheffield experts think? Have you seen any like this @Jack Black ? As usual, I want to get an idea of age and rarity before I do something silly like sharpen it and try to tighten the pivot and use it. :p

Last edited:
R8shell
That Blade is correct and just about full.
That’s a Budding Knife you have and they did not have the full length blade to fill the Liner - so it’s better than you think :)

The Taper in the Handle is for the use in prizing the bark for grafting if I remember correctly.

Here's an interesting one I just got: a W.Saynor Ltd. grafting knife with "Depend" on the obverse. I believe the Depend mark was used between the mid 1800s to the mid 1900s. I don't know if the handle is horn, or Bakelite, or something else. I can't see much of a grain in it.
View attachment 949077
View attachment 949078
View attachment 949075 View attachment 949076
I figure it used to be a sheepfoot blade, but it's sharpened down to a short lambsfoot. What do the Sheffield experts think? Have you seen any like this @Jack Black ? As usual, I want to get an idea of age and rarity before I do something silly like sharpen it and try to tighten the pivot and use it. :p
That's really cool r8shell :cool: Especially with Duncan's explanation and Charlie's similar example... looks like you found a gem :):thumbsup:

R8shell
That Blade is correct and just about full.
That’s a Budding Knife you have and they did not have the full length blade to fill the Liner - so it’s better than you think :)

The Taper in the Handle is for the use in prizing the bark for grafting if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the info. I've seen pictures of bark lifters that were made of brass. Maybe there's some reason you don't want to use steel for that.
Hey Rachel! I don't recall seeing one of those in "black" before. Can't tell what the handles are from here.
They were often Ivory or Bone.
View attachment 949177 View attachment 949178
Those are very cool! Maybe tomorrow I can get a better look at mine in daylight and figure out what it's made of.

I really wish the previous owner would have left the patina... but the bone on this one was too nice to pass up! :eek:

View attachment 949221 View attachment 949222 View attachment 949223 View attachment 949224
Kevin, I hear you on not cleaning, but MAN THAT'S NICE!!! I too have purchased a cleaned knife because the covers are to die for:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Plus you can carry and give it the patina/character it deserves.

What a BEAUTIFUL knife my friend:cool::cool::cool:

NOTE: had to edit because I think I have the same knife with original? patina. Believe I posted here before but will check when i get home.

I was wrong Kevin, similar but different shield and nail knicks.

kwtKwY.jpg

EKVVpJ.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin, I hear you on not cleaning, but MAN THAT'S NICE!!! I too have purchased a cleaned knife because the covers are to die for:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Plus you can carry and give it the patina/character it deserves.

What a BEAUTIFUL knife my friend:cool::cool::cool:

NOTE: had to edit because I think I have the same knife with original? patina. Believe I posted here before but will check when i get home.

I was wrong Kevin, similar but different shield and nail knicks.

kwtKwY.jpg

EKVVpJ.jpg
Thanks Paul :) Beauty peachseed you got there yourself! ;):thumbsup: Is that 3-5/8" long? The only one I see in the Schrade Cut Co catalog with the prop shield and long pull is 3-5/8" which they made in a stainless version too in 1926. Nicer looking spear blade on yours too... mine is pretty boring :rolleyes:

Mine is the C2153EO:

SCC-Cat.JPG

Last edited:
Great knives and photos my vintage knife collecting friends! Love the Schrades:thumbsup: Can’t get enough of those:)

Here are three vintage split back Whittlers or split back Whittler pattern folders.

Top one is a Remington—Remington/UMC inside circle circa 1923-1933 (Goins)
Pattern no. 7293

Next or middle one is an Empire (circa 1856-1930- Goins) marked Empire/Winsted/CT with pick bone handles. I would think fairly early in the 20th century.

Bottom one is a Camillus 4 line address marked on tang Camillus/Cutlery CO./Camillus NY./U.S.A. Circa 1941-1946 (Goins)

Thanks for looking
5DBDF49C-9375-4275-B31C-5652573C9267.jpeg 00B7DC67-082C-476E-A58B-F444CC8380D8.jpeg 1229255D-CE4D-48DD-9B17-53B66748C39D.jpeg 73CE7477-9396-4588-89BF-D0EE220D9441.jpeg 95105245-0BFA-4C71-8061-14DB4CAB2CB2.jpeg 01753CD8-2A33-45E2-85A9-8BC05EB92318.jpeg

Last edited:
Great knives and photos my vintage knife collecting friends! Love the Schrades:thumbsup: Can’t get enough of those:)

Here are three vintage split back Whittlers or split back Whittler pattern folders.

Top one is a Remington—Rmimgton/UMC inside circle circa 1923-1933 (Goins)

Next or middle one is an Empire (circa 1856-1930- Goins) marked Empire/Winsted/CT with pick bone handles. I would think fairly early in the 20th century.

Bottom one is a Camillus 4 line address marked on tang Camillus/Cutlery CO./Camillus NY./U.S.A. Circa 1941-1946 (Goins)

Thanks for looking
View attachment 949794 View attachment 949795 View attachment 949796 View attachment 949784 View attachment 949780 View attachment 949777
Wow Lloyd... beauties! No offense to the Empire or Camillus, but that Remington is special :eek::thumbsup: The double long pull and offset tang stamp is crazy! Can you get us pics of the bottom side (springs)? I always like to see that setup on the split whittlers ;)

Nice Schrades, Kevin and Paul!!

Killer trio of Whittlers, Lloyd!!
(hope you are doing OK??)

Nice Schrade Veitsi! Gorgeous Covers my friend- in fact gorgeous Knife, Like Paul says- just use it kindly for a while and a Patina will come back to visit.

Lloyd - Beauties, Man that Remington is something else my friend! - What a Main Blade!:cool:

Back