"Old Knives"

Somehow I knew you would find something on that one Herder ;) Thank you once again :thumbsup:

Schlieper made some really good quality knives, but they aren't commonly found here in the U.S. even though there was a post WWII rep for them for a few decades.
Pre WWII knives and any paperwork on them are mighty scarce.
Here is a large (4-3/4 inch) 50 year old three blade stockman model with jigged bone handles and nickel silver trim.

View attachment 979983

Nice post Herder Sir, and nice Knife!
I usd to own some great Fixed Blades by Schlieper.
Early Carl Schlieper are extremely good knives.

Wonderful folders North Shore! Who are the makers left to right? Can’t make that out on most. Guess my eyes are going out:eek: Thanks

Wonderful folders North Shore! Who are the makers left to right? Can’t make that out on most. Guess my eyes are going out:eek: Thanks
Thanks,
Challenge, Union Cutlery Co, Simmons Keen Kutter, Schrade Walden, Clark Bros KC, Utica, Keen Kutter by Schrade Cut Co, Miller Bros, Hibbard Spencer Bartlett not sure who made that one, Union Cutlery Co

Nice ones NS. I think I’ve seen that Utica elsewhere. Did the snap ever come back?

Miller Bros (Meriden USA) barehead jack, 1872-1926. Looks like a prior owner polished the blades, but spared the tangs.

KfssjRp.jpg

TfCHzc7.jpg

m2D37Jw.jpg

yF8iSl4.jpg

JWjR71r.jpg

- Stuart

Thanks, y'all. It's 3 3/4". There's a slight reddish tint to the dark wood, so I'm thinking cocobolo, but I haven't looked for a catalog description, yet.
- Stuart

Last edited:
Stuart, the Mike's:D, Kevin,Lloyd, Herder, you guys are setting the bar very high, don't know if I can keep up but I'll give it a shot.

Picked up this Schrade Cut Co jack this week and it is an interesting knife, first it's a big one at 3 3/4", second the clip main has a great swedge on it. But what is real interesting is the mark side has Schrade pick bone and the pile side has Schrade peach seed.
Pins match, color matches, knife does not look like it has been apart. Any ideas, repair job, salesman sample, bad day at the bench? Whatever it is a beautiful knife and the 3 3/4" size is about my ideal jack.

IMG_9260.jpg IMG_9263.jpg IMG_9265.jpg IMG_9271.jpg IMG_9269.jpg

Last edited:
Any one of your reasons for the scales being different are possibilities Augie but none of them make it less desirable. Nice Jack sir!

View attachment 980182

I got a new phone and the camera is way better so I felt like pulling out my favorites and getting a group shot.

Wonderful collection, North Shore! And your phone takes decent pictures!!

Miller Bros (Meriden USA) barehead jack, 1872-1926. Looks like a prior owner polished the blades, but spared the tangs.

KfssjRp.jpg

TfCHzc7.jpg

m2D37Jw.jpg

yF8iSl4.jpg

JWjR71r.jpg

- Stuart

Polished or not, that's a nice Jack, Stuart!!

Stuart, the Mike's:D, Kevin, you guys are setting the bar very high, don't know if I can keep up but I'll give it a shot.

Picked up this Schrade Cut Co jack this week and it is an interesting knife, first it's a big one at 3 3/4", second the clip main has a great swedge on it. But what is real interesting is the mark side has Schrade pick bone and the pile side has Schrade peach seed.
Pins match, color matches, knife does not look like it has been apart. Any ideas, repair job, salesman sample, bad day at the bench? Whatever it is a beautiful knife and the 3 3/4" size is about my ideal jack.

View attachment 981198 View attachment 981199 View attachment 981200 View attachment 981201 View attachment 981202

Nice Schrade, Augie. It could have gone back to the factory for a warranty handle, that might put it in the transition time of the different Jigging styles!! The technicians would make it look like a factory installation, IMO. Cool Schrade Cut specimen to have in any case.

Schlieper made some really good quality knives, but they aren't commonly found here in the U.S. even though there was a post WWII rep for them for a few decades.
Pre WWII knives and any paperwork on them are mighty scarce.
Here is a large (4-3/4 inch) 50 year old three blade stockman model with jigged bone handles and nickel silver trim.

View attachment 979983

Nice large stockman, Herder!! Quintessential German etch!! Nice!!

Last edited:

Two jiggings for the price of one!! Sign me up! I understand the quibble, but, damn, that's a nice knife. I mean "darn".

Polished or not, that's a nice Jack, Stuart!!

Thanks, as you know - it is what it is.

- Stuart

Back