"Old Knives"

I took some new pictures of my two Valley Forge knives. The single blade in bone has a curved stamp and the VF on the reverse, so it's post 1916. The big jack knife has a straight line stamp, with no 'made in USA', and no VF, making it most likely pre 1916.
Valley Forges_1.jpgVF Valley Forge_1.jpg VF Valley Forge_2.jpg Valley Forges_2.jpg

Last edited:
I took some new pictures of my two Valley Forge knives. The single blade in bone has a curved stamp and the VF on the reverse, so it's post 1916. The big jack knife has a straight line stamp, with no 'made in USA', and no VF, making it most likely pre 1916.
View attachment 984589View attachment 984633 View attachment 984591 View attachment 984592
Wow really nice knives r8shell! The barehead is a borderline barlow ;) (say that 3 times fast) I can't quit looking at that one with the awesome wood and classy oval shield... just :thumbsup:

I couldn't resist this knife... totally got it because of the Shriners symbol on the pile side having some synthetic material mixed in, pretty cool. Oh and the fact it is a snappy Robeson doesn't hurt. Closed length is only 2-7/8"... my favorite part of saving old knives is when you add a little drop of oil and bring a dirty relic back to life. When I worked the blades back and forth a little bit and let the main snap loudly back into place, it sounded like a collective applause from the people on The Porch. I literally said "YES!" out loud. This one worried me cuz it was pretty unhealthy when I got it o_O

ROBGOLD-1A.JPG ROBGOLD-1B.JPG ROBGOLD-1C.JPG ROBGOLD-1D.JPG ROBGOLD-1E.JPG

Last edited:
A Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Co. (Titusville, PA) equal end jack in old Rogers bone, 3 5/8", from 1903-1932.

hBX2sqj.jpg

BUrFSG2.jpg

OCuqVrx.jpg

YXqNfad.jpg

IvvxXkc.jpg

0AOp2SC.jpg

Walks and talks like a teenager, sharp as an old hand.
- Stuart

I agree with Luger - Stuart Wow! That is one extremely nice knife, The Jig work is absolutely stunning - Rodgers Bone isn’t normally THAT nice ( as nice as it is ).
I remember reading Bernard saying something about there is no such thing as “ Rodgers Bone”, but there’s a lot of referral to it.

You're right Duncan, Queen used Rogers Mfg Co bone exclusively from the 1920's until after WWII when they started using Winterbottom Bone. Eventually the costs of Winterbottom became too high and was phased out in the 1960's. In the meantime, during the 1950s, Rogers Mfg started producing Delrin handles and in the late 60's Queen had Rogers make molds of actual Winterbottom bone and they started producing synthetic Winterbottom handles which we know as "imitation Winterbottom bone". So technically there is Rogers "Bone" and Rogers "Delrin" :D

Here is the article:

http://www.queencutlery.com/uploads/The_Winterbottom_Bone_Factory_in_Egg_Harbor.pdf

Last edited:
I couldn't resist this knife... totally got it because of the Shriners symbol on the pile side having some synthetic material mixed in, pretty cool. Oh and the fact it is a snappy Robeson doesn't hurt. Closed length is only 2-7/8"... my favorite part of saving old knives is when you add a little drop of oil and bring a dirty relic back to life. When I worked the blades back and forth a little bit and let the main snap loudly back into place, it sounded like a collective applause from the people on The Porch. I literally said "YES!" out loud. This one worried me cuz it was pretty unhealthy when I got it o_O
That is a nifty knife. I know what you mean about how satisfying it is to bring a knife back to life. :cool::thumbsup:
A Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Co. (Titusville, PA) equal end jack in old Rogers bone, 3 5/8", from 1903-1932.

hBX2sqj.jpg

BUrFSG2.jpg

OCuqVrx.jpg

YXqNfad.jpg

IvvxXkc.jpg

0AOp2SC.jpg

- Stuart
Wow, that bone is amazing!
I agree with Luger - Stuart Wow! That is one extremely nice knife, The Jig work is absolutely stunning - Rodgers Bone isn’t normally THAT nice ( as nice as it is ).
I remember reading Bernard saying something about there is no such thing as “ Rodgers Bone”, but there’s a lot of referral to it.
Interesting. "Rogers Bone" is one of those things that I think I know what it is, but if asked to define it, I'm not really sure. I suppose it's technically bone jigged by the Rogers Company, but often used to describe any really nice, deep, random jigging. :confused:
You're right Duncan, Queen used Rogers Mfg Co bone exclusively from the 1920's until after WWII when they started using Winterbottom Bone. Eventually the costs of Winterbottom became too high and was phased out in the 1960's. In the meantime, during the 1950s, Rogers Mfg started producing Delrin material and in the late 60's Queen had Rogers make molds of actual Winterbottom bone and they started producing synthetic Winterbottom handles which we know as "imitation Winterbottom bone". So technically there is Rogers "Bone" and Rogers "Delrin" :D

Here is the article:

http://www.queencutlery.com/uploads/The_Winterbottom_Bone_Factory_in_Egg_Harbor.pdf
Thanks for the article.

Love it Stuart! That is some gorgeous chiseled/gouged non standard jigging on that bone-WOW:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow, that bone is amazing!

Interesting. "Rogers Bone" is one of those things that I think I know what it is, but if asked to define it, I'm not really sure. I suppose it's technically bone jigged by the Rogers Company, but often used to describe any really nice, deep, random jigging. :confused:

Thanks, for the compliments and comments. I, too, am uncertain as to the attribution of Rogers and Winterbottom to Queen, despite some research. My previously posted QUEEN CITY toothpick is cataloged by Queen as old Rogers.

wh3NBAa.jpg

ILSCUbM.jpg

- Stuart

hBX2sqj.jpg

BUrFSG2.jpg

OCuqVrx.jpg

YXqNfad.jpg

IvvxXkc.jpg

0AOp2SC.jpg

- Stuart

I normally prefer wood over bone scales, but this one has some outstanding bone.

I see Rodgers Bone quoted an awful lot when there is a Vintage Tan Coloured jigged Bone- be it the Bone be relatively plain in Colour with nice Jigg Work- or deep Gouging etc, I dont think that any person could in fact produce a Knife and say- THIS is Rodgers Bone- and back it up with fact - not because the seller is calling it, or, can I say if the Manufacture calls it so, as we see in the earlier marketing of Jigged Bone was Stag Bone etc, when it wasnt Stag at all, and had nothing to do with Stag - but it was what the Manufacturer wanted to call it at the time for the most impact.
The term Bowie knife comes into the same category as this as well.

The Knives shown are simply gorgeous - I dont care what someone wants to call the Bone on these Knives, :eek: Stunning Knives everyone!

I dont think that any person could in fact produce a Knife and say- THIS is Rodgers Bone- and back it up with fact - not because the seller is calling it, or, can I say if the Manufacture calls it so, as we see in the earlier marketing of Jigged Bone was Stag Bone etc, when it wasnt Stag at all, and had nothing to do with Stag - but it was what the Manufacturer wanted to call it at the time for the most impact.
The term Bowie knife comes into the same category as this as well.

Case in point - Queen's conflation of Winterbottom, Frontier, and Stag bone after real Winterbottom was scarce and, then, no longer available. Even Rogers was irregularly listed. I've gone numb comparing pictures in their historical documents.
- Stuart

earlier marketing of Jigged Bone was Stag Bone etc, when it wasnt Stag at all, and had nothing to do with Stag - but it was what the Manufacturer wanted to call it at the time for the most impact.
This did confuse me when I first started gathering knives, it took me a while to figure out what the manufacturers say stag is and what stag should actually look like. Sad that the manufacturers use the buzz words to sell more knives but it just gives us knife folks another topic to discuss here on The Porch:):thumbsup:

This did confuse me when I first started gathering knives, it took me a while to figure out what the manufacturers say stag is and what stag should actually look like. Sad that the manufacturers use the buzz words to sell more knives but it just gives us knife folks another topic to discuss here on The Porch:):thumbsup:
I know what you mean. From reading more about old knives, my understanding is that in the olden days, stag was the preferred, or maybe standard material. If stag got too expensive or hard to find, they would jig bone in an attempt to mimic stag. Then when plastics came into the picture, they were often molded to imitate the imitation stag of jigged bone. :D

Everyone that has posted the last couple pages, WOW, great knives all>

I have a few to add once I can take pictures, the first is an unused Remington R703 hawkbill, how a knife stays unused for 80 to 90 years I have no idea. Its been very damp around here for the last several weeks.

IMG_9320.jpg IMG_9322.jpg IMG_9303.jpg IMG_9299.jpg

Back