"Old Knives"

Luger, Neat example with a great "Red Devil" stamp that I hadn't seen before.
Fodderwing, Beautiful lobster model and with a wonderful etch.
waynorth, Two great examples and a good reference for the "Red Devil".
Old Engineer, Three good old knives from three good old companies.
Gevonovich, Two fine knives in a beautiful setting.

Just rescued from an Antique Store today . Had mistakenly posted these in another thread .
Cattaraugus 22219 with a broken blade but otherwise is in pretty good shape for $4.50

JA HENCKELS with a tang stamp of JA HENCKELS over Germany . Have been unable to determine approx. age . I suspect that it Ebony covers . Steel Liners , tight pins and covers . Heck of a deal at $7.20

C LUTTERS with a tang stamp that I can not fully read yet . Suspect the tight covers are Cocobolo , steel liners , tight steel pins , rat tailed bolsters , pretty full blade except for the nick , pretty good snap , and has a great stamping on the blade .Very happy to finally get this brand and this handle pattern at $7.20.

Half/Stop Half/Stop Ron I finally found another Hame and I have another broken handle .
Harry
Harry it looks like you had a pretty good visit to the antique shop. Great looking knives and a beautiful old Hame! :thumbsup: :)

Harry it looks like you had a pretty good visit to the antique shop. Great looking knives and a beautiful old Hame! :thumbsup: :)
Yes it was my friend and thank you . Left an old Gunstock Jack Ulster there that had some really great jigged bone covers , but somebody had used it for a screwdriver and broken both blades . I mighta shoulda brought it home anyhow . I have been looking for more hames since last summer and this is the first one with the brass that I wanted . Will have to get started on the next Project sometime after Christmas .

Harry

Harry - isn’t it exciting finding something in an antique store!
I remember going through an Antique store one day and they had a old Cane labeled “Chinese”.
I was studying Japanese Swords at the time and immediately knew I was holding a very old Japanese walking stick with amazing high relief carvings and extremely well executed Kanji.

I had a well know Japanese Art Sword fellow have a look at it and was tol that it certainly was Old and no tourist trinket - in fact some of the finest work he has seen on Wood!

Herder my friend- that’s a great old beast - something you don’t see often come up!

Harry - isn’t it exciting finding something in an antique store!
It certainly is my friend !!!! We thoroughly enjoy finding things older than me . Nancy and I usually use Antique Stores to take a pause from driving in , especially from 2002 until now . I only regret that I passed over MANY old knives until 2014 .
Did you find out How Old the walking stick was ???

Harry

Last edited:
It certainly is my friend !!!! We thoroughly enjoy finding things older than me . Nancy and I usually use Antique Stores to take a pause from driving in , especially from 2002 until now . I only regret that I passed over MANY old knives until 2014 .
Did you find out How Old the walking stick was ???

Harry
Great finds Harry, I liked what you said about the old Ulster HJ, even though it had been abused you almost brought it home:thumbsup: now Harry, the next time your browsing through an Antique store and can find something older the Duncan, buy it my friend because that has to be OLD!!!:eek::p Merry Christmas to you and Nanc my friend:thumbsup:

Great finds Harry, I liked what you said about the old Ulster HJ, even though it had been abused you almost brought it home:thumbsup: now Harry, the next time your browsing through an Antique store and can find something older the Duncan, buy it my friend because that has to be OLD!!!:eek::p Merry Christmas to you and Nanc my friend:thumbsup:
Thanks Paul . Duncan may be Really Old to you , but to me he is still a Young Man.
Merry Christmas to you and your Nanc too my friend .

Harry

Thanks Paul . Duncan may be Really Old to you , but to me he is still a Young Strong and Amazing Man, in fact a Beautiful specimen of a man if I may say so!
Merry Christmas to you and your Nanc too my friend .

Harry

Thank you Harry- that's extremely nice of you to say, I take my good looks in my stride.

Harry I am not too sure- the Cane is made out of Bamboo- one thing that I saw when I first picked it up was the Colouring of the Bamboo- it was old! when you see old Saya ( the Scabbard for the Katana / Wakizashi ) that has not been laquered at all- originally it looks very white and clean - over the years Centuries it gets a deep mellow look- somewhat like Stag, This Cane is a very old colour even for Cane - and this was noted by the chap whom looked at it.

Ok, enough of the Cane or I fear I will receive a few lashes from the mods, so I will add some old Knife content....
A very nice Older Primble, love the Bolsters and Bone, nice details everywhere- nice Swage work too on this Knife - a real little beauty...

qxHkvpG.jpg

XNcRnRF.jpg

7Av9g7s.jpg

zECifZq.jpg

Last edited:
Quite a variety of vintage knives spit out by the mailbox this week. A close to unused HSB Grand Daddy Barlow, A nice Schrade Cut Co 3 5/8" bare end jack and I Maher&Grosh Pecan grafting knife.

View attachment 1041878
View attachment 1041881 View attachment 1041882 View attachment 1041883 View attachment 1041884 View attachment 1041885 View attachment 1041886 View attachment 1041887
I've never seen a knife like that M&G, but I've never grafted a pecan, either. Amazing!

Back