"Old Knives"

Here is another old Utica. It's punch is slightly curved on the back and flat on the front. The spine is also flat where as the previous one is slightly rounded on the spine.

YSsyktph.jpg

UeqzUbnh.jpg

aXnzqQh.jpg

L2lzR8B.jpg

wTEO5Ra.jpg

side by side

ojXsfpB.jpg

KWvzjP6.jpg

Steve...
I find these old knives so fascinating- and when I see them and you look at the designs of the punches - the questions for me flood in- so here is how I think to myself when looking at your last posted Urica....,
The Punch is obviously different again and it reminded me of the Punch design included in a discussion that we had with Challenge knives being assembled by Empire.

Page 791 - post # 15801 my posting in the Townsley.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-791

Page 791 - post # 15802 Charlie’s posts showing Empire made HJ’s and their Punch design.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-791

Page 792 - a follow up showing punches of the same design.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-792

So that punch on your last Utica looks very much like the Empire Punches shown quite clearly in the above quoted posts.
I am not saying that it definitely is Empire - just I am seeing the Punch to stand out in similarities that it deserves to be looked at twice.
What is so interesting is that there were so many contracts by everyone at times a certain knife stamp doesn’t mean it’s made by that Company- so years later I am finding out more about knives I have owned for quite some time!!!

Last edited:
Steve...
I find these old knives so fascinating- and when I see them and you look at the designs of the punches - the questions for me flood in- so here is how I think to myself when looking at your last posted Urica....,
The Punch is obviously different again and it reminded me of the Punch design included in a discussion that we had with Challenge knives being assembled by Empire.
Page 791 - post # 15801 my posting in the Townsley.

Page 791 - post # 15802 Charlie’s posts showing Empire made HJ’s and their Punch design.

Page 792 - a follow up showing punches of the same design.

So that punch on your last Utica looks very much like the Empire Punches shown quite clearly in the above quoted posts.
I am not saying that it definitely is Empire - just I am seeing the Punch to stand out in similarities that it deserves to be looked at twice.
What is so interesting is that there were so many contracts by everyone at times a certain knife stamp doesn’t mean it’s made by that Company- so years later I am finding out more about knives I have owned for quite some time!!!

Interesting stuff !

Nice Ward's, Augie! I wonder what that shield stands for??
I have seen one like it before ?!?!

Nice Ward's, Augie! I wonder what that shield stands for??
I have seen one like it before ?!?!

I don't know Charlie, maybe ST for Stockman, hasn't there been confusion over calling this pattern a cattle knife or a stockman?

Augie- Here is the brother to your gorgeous Knife, another Wards
UIEP4t0.jpg

o7Nw4iu.jpg

I remember being convinced some time back that Utica made this Knife - the bone is dead ringer of the Old Utica Bone used on the Winchester Black Box series.
I love that Knife of yours - and I love this one of mine!

Thanks Duncan, that knife of yours is a real stunner also, love the oak leaf shield.

Here are a few "old" knives I posted over in the "scout knife" thread. The top 2 are in incredible shape, I don't think the "kingston" knife has been used much? Is there any way it could be a fake? Just seems way too pristine to be real but I don't know how or why anybody would fake a Kingston. The bottom one has an issue, you can see the spring at one end is sunken and the main blade does not lock open or closed. Any way to fix that or is it permanently broken?

BtJFGop.jpg

rBatRLo.jpg

dQZvHBj.jpg

XqOfWzH.jpg

Very nice Wards model also, Campbellclanman, with a very cool shield.
Not sure if it is a leaf or a tree??? I think leaf. :)

Great old camper models, Kingston, and that Knigston camper looks original to me.

Augie and Herder - Well!!! For a knife with that shield to pop up that I hadn’t seen before - there’s now two!!!!

I figured that Utica had made my knife - even the styling of the blades when compared to other Utica knives helped me. Interesting Herders has the long pull and extremely interesting Bone.

I love the Stout Secondry Sheepsfoot on these with the nice Swage. Great knives.

Herder Sir- yeah I am thinking the Oak Leaf is the Shield.

Last edited:
Back