"Old Knives"

Takes some work to find that Prince Albert trio - Nice!!
But that NYK!! That is one of the finer examples of that Serpentine Jack/Trapper pattern!!

yzOC9zS.jpg

Wonderful knives you gentlemen have shared with us! I find my visits to BF are mainly spent viewing this thread and admiring the many great vintage knives you own and the great insights and history you provide. My collection is primarily composed of pre WWII folders with a few GEC examples included for good measure. Anyway, many thanks for making this “Old Knives” thread such a treasure trove of outstanding vintage folders!! I have been having some nagging health issues that have prevented me from being as active here lately as I would like to be. Hopefully, that is changing and I am getting back to better health and spirits!

Anyway, here are a couple of small jacks that I have been meaning to post for a few months now. The top one is an EC Simmons St. Louis marked sleeveboard Jack. IT is 3 & 3/8 inches closed. It has nice pick bone handles with very full blades that have been sharpened but otherwise shows little use. Nice action with half stops. Question who made this folder for EC Simmons Hardware Co?

Next one is a HSB & Co Chicago marked regular jack. It is 3 & 1/4 inches closed. This one also has nice pick bone handles with some blade loss on primary blade and the pen blade looks full. This one has great action, solid lock up and crisp half stops. This one looks NYK Company made to me by the looks of the pick bone and the shield.

Thanks for looking and for your input and comments!!View attachment 1033526 View attachment 1033527 View attachment 1033529 View attachment 1033530 View attachment 1033528

@Luger1952
My friend...
Two outstanding Knives, They would have to come from the same Cutlery Firm - surely, you just don't see Bone like that much- it's a more "chunked out" version of actual Pic Bone..... But just beautiful!
I hope you are well, and thank you for sharing your wonderful Knives with us all Lloyd!

Cool old Utica (curved stamp), SteveC!
I am having a hard time seeing into that punch; is there a "pull" stamped inside that curved punch surface?
Thanks!

Charlie I too was trying to read into that Punch - thought maybe Schrade - but they dont end with such a Triangular “V” on the Tang?

Hey Steve and Duncan!
That "conical" punch is more difficult to make than "flat-forged" ones like those below. Nice and sculptural as well as functional!! The flat one easier to make, so probably later.
Both still have curved tang stamps indicating age. I suspect yours is closer to WWI than mine.
At a left field guess, 1920s for yours and 1930s for mine. You see why I asked about the pull!!??
Utility HJ 1.jpg Utility HJ 1 tang.jpg Uticomp.jpg

Hey Steve and Duncan!
That "conical" punch is more difficult to make than "flat-forged" ones like those below. Nice and sculptural as well as functional!! The flat one easier to make, so probably later.
Both still have curved tang stamps indicating age. I suspect yours is closer to WWI than mine.
At a left field guess, 1920s for yours and 1930s for mine. You see why I asked about the pull!!??
View attachment 1036199 View attachment 1036200 View attachment 1036201
Wow that harness, bean & beer jack is awesome :thumbsup:

Hey there SteveC and Charlie, do you mind if I go back to that nice old Curved Stamped Utica?
Charlie, a question on that Knife, so I cant find anything on the Curved Punch that comes from Utica - would this be a Contract Knife? - closest I can compare to is the Early Schrade Punch which is near exact- down to the Choil by the Tang Kick, pictures is a early Schrade HJ of mine.....

Steves Punch..

P0PWfxG.jpg

Schrade Punch:
0Be7e1h.jpg

0Be7e1h.jpg

I don't think it's a Schrade, Duncan. Details vary between your example and Steve's, and the internal radius is much larger in the Schrade.
Utica was more likely to be the contracting/manufacturing cutlery back in those days. They even made knives for Case.

Thanks for that Charlie, Its extremely interesting but darned difficult - Utica then have at least three different Punch styles that I have seen, this is the first I have seen like this from Utica.

SteveC my friend, if you dont mind may I keep an image of your knife and its Punch? Im just tying to build a file on Punches and their variations.

Thanks for that Charlie, Its extremely interesting but darned difficult - Utica then have at least three different Punch styles that I have seen, this is the first I have seen like this from Utica.

SteveC my friend, if you dont mind may I keep an image of your knife and its Punch? Im just tying to build a file on Punches and their variations.

Not at all Duncan, feel free to keep or use any of my pictures :thumbsup:

Back