"Old Knives"

Galvanic, I suspect that metal handled knife is for use with grain sacks and the like. You can use the pointed implement to stitch up a sack, and the knife blade to open one, of course.

Are these Ulster knives Schrade products?
View attachment 1032279
Nice Ulsters NS! It looks like the swell end has the "Ulster Knife Co" tang stamp, that was pre-Schrade and they used that stamp (not exclusively) from around 1876 to 1941. Albert Baer bought Ulster in 1941 from the Divine family and after that the stamps were changed to "Ulster USA" until 1972. The Ulster name pretty much stopped then. Baer bought Schrade in 1946 and at that time was producing Ulster, Kingston, Imperial and Schrade knives:eek:;) Prior to Baer taking over, Ulster knives were handmade by Sheffield trained cutlers and were very high quality knives. When Baer took over Ulster he gutted their main facility and brought in all new machinery, materials and methods. In many ways Baer helped build and preserve the knife making industry here through tough times, but he killed the high quality Ulster knives that I now love :(

Last edited:
I will add a few more pictures later but I recently vacant interested in WW2 era knives and have managed to but 4 different ones. The of them are Camillus.

This is what I have in my pocket today, no marking at all other than the "made in the USA" so I have no idea who made it but it's in very good shape for being 50+ years old.

Any ideas about it?

Attachments

• 562298E3-C563-4D58-9DB8-62EEE2737629.jpeg
    562298E3-C563-4D58-9DB8-62EEE2737629.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DAFC5D79-B5BB-4F82-8E2D-16631FB73234.jpeg
    DAFC5D79-B5BB-4F82-8E2D-16631FB73234.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 17
Nice examples from wlfryjr, waynorth, eisman, North Shore, onekerf, galvanic, and Kingston. What a great thread!!!
Very interesting all metal folder, galvanic. I'll see if I can find anything on that one.

Wonderful knives you gentlemen have shared with us! I find my visits to BF are mainly spent viewing this thread and admiring the many great vintage knives you own and the great insights and history you provide. My collection is primarily composed of pre WWII folders with a few GEC examples included for good measure. Anyway, many thanks for making this “Old Knives” thread such a treasure trove of outstanding vintage folders!! I have been having some nagging health issues that have prevented me from being as active here lately as I would like to be. Hopefully, that is changing and I am getting back to better health and spirits!

Anyway, here are a couple of small jacks that I have been meaning to post for a few months now. The top one is an EC Simmons St. Louis marked sleeveboard Jack. IT is 3 & 3/8 inches closed. It has nice pick bone handles with very full blades that have been sharpened but otherwise shows little use. Nice action with half stops. Question who made this folder for EC Simmons Hardware Co?

Next one is a HSB & Co Chicago marked regular jack. It is 3 & 1/4 inches closed. This one also has nice pick bone handles with some blade loss on primary blade and the pen blade looks full. This one has great action, solid lock up and crisp half stops. This one looks NYK Company made to me by the looks of the pick bone and the shield.

Thanks for looking and for your input and comments!!200F437C-4907-4149-A8BE-713E49416B17.jpeg C24982A3-6088-4375-91CC-490BF5520826.jpeg 334A3EB2-0934-490C-B8A0-FB2959D12EF4.jpeg 7A4BC8E3-37A2-459E-BA92-AA204D268596.jpeg 359F5629-95FE-498A-9103-76633909D79D.jpeg

Wonderful knives you gentlemen have shared with us! I find my visits to BF are mainly spent viewing this thread and admiring the many great vintage knives you own and the great insights and history you provide. My collection is primarily composed of pre WWII folders with a few GEC examples included for good measure. Anyway, many thanks for making this “Old Knives” thread such a treasure trove of outstanding vintage folders!! I have been having some nagging health issues that have prevented me from being as active here lately as I would like to be. Hopefully, that is changing and I am getting back to better health and spirits!

Anyway, here are a couple of small jacks that I have been meaning to post for a few months now. The top one is an EC Simmons St. Louis marked sleeveboard Jack. IT is 3 & 3/8 inches closed. It has nice pick bone handles with very full blades that have been sharpened but otherwise shows little use. Nice action with half stops. Question who made this folder for EC Simmons Hardware Co?

Next one is a HSB & Co Chicago marked regular jack. It is 3 & 1/4 inches closed. This one also has nice pick bone handles with some blade loss on primary blade and the pen blade looks full. This one has great action, solid lock up and crisp half stops. This one looks NYK Company made to me by the looks of the pick bone and the shield.

Thanks for looking and for your input and comments!!View attachment 1033526 View attachment 1033527 View attachment 1033529 View attachment 1033530 View attachment 1033528
Nice ones Lloyd! The picked bone looks so similar on them makes me think they are related in some form or fashion... o_O

I will add a few more pictures later but I recently vacant interested in WW2 era knives and have managed to but 4 different ones. The of them are Camillus.

This is what I have in my pocket today, no marking at all other than the "made in the USA" so I have no idea who made it but it's in very good shape for being 50+ years old.

Any ideas about it?
Looks like Buzz answered your question over in the Scout thread...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-see-your-scout-camp-knives.1463060/page-55#post-18606299

Building off of my earlier post, Kingston was formed by Albert Baer during WWII to contract knives specifically for the government and the war effort. In the mid to late 1940s Baer combined all of his companies to form the Imperial Knife Associated Companies manufacturing knives under the Imperial, Ulster and Schrade-Walden names... Kingston was not used by Baer after 1947.

Thanks for looking and for your input and comments!!View attachment 1033526 View attachment 1033527 View attachment 1033529 View attachment 1033530 View attachment 1033528
Those are just amazing!!:eek: I keep staring at the bone covers, like one of those images you have to go cross-eyed to see!

Btw, your avitar, Army Intelligence?
After the Gulf War, changed my mos, and was sent to Orlands, to join Mil. Intel. Low Intensity.
After being a grunt, and the Gulf, it was a vacation!
20181207_165549-1149x1638.jpg

Last edited:
Lloyd, Kevin...WOW!!! at work till 4:00 and this was a nice break to lay my eye's on:cool: Lloyd, happy to hear your on the mend my friend and look forward to you hopefully being around more:thumbsup:

Back