"Old Knives"

Those used to be my kinda knives Herder and Harry. I like jigged bone patina Herder.

I agree Duncan, Camillus bone is very nice and so is Ulster Kevin.

One of my favorite knives is an 1. Ulster with "patinaed" bone. I have found similar early style bone and jigging on 2. Holley, Southington and others. The 3.saddlehorn I didn't label,don't know for sure the stamp. They seem an early form of Schrade's Cut Co. jigging.

Lastly a Cut Co, Ulster and Southington comparison.
1.Ulster unused  (1).jpg2. Holley old281.jpg
3.a.jpg
Schrade Cut,Ulster,Southington bone comparison573.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting jigging samples, Lyle. I like the Schrade group. The Saddlehorn looks like a Napanoch-made knife, maybe a Wilbert??

The Schrade group consists of:
left to right Scrade Cut Co, Ulster and lastly Southington.

I don't collect a lot of knives with what could be celluloid scales. They can break your heart...But here's a couple I couldn't resist.

First a John Primble large Congress, which also has the less common clip point secondary blades vs. the usual pens.

L76eXRx.jpg

And then there's this much less common Platts Bros in another uncommon pattern:

vnhD8xY.jpg

coDzaSj.jpg

Yes, the Ulster is unused and the Southington is pretty full. The Schrade is at least 1/8” longer frame, which allows the pivot pin to be out of the rat tail in the big end.

Nice Ulster Kevin. Gorgeous Bone!

As had been stated- Lyle fantastic Knives with amazing old Bone.
That Ulster- whew!!!! What a treasure. :cool:

Charlie those Wilberts!!! I am in a state of shock right now! :eek:

Eisman- both Congresses in great shape- usually cannot go wrong with Primble and the Cutler companies who made their Knives.
Haven’t seen too much of the Platt Bros. Stamp before!

Last edited:
wlfryjr wlfryjr and waynorth waynorth : Those old Saddlehorns just get me going !! To me , the jigging does not look like Cattaraugus , but because of the worm tracks , did Catt have any relationship that you know of ? Thank Lyle and Charlie for posting those old Saddlehorns . :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad you like the Saddlehorns, Duncan and Old Engineer!
Nice Cell, eisman - you are a brave man!!
North Shore, in a sense, yes!! Schrade absorbed Ulster, including their style and patterns.

My picture is a Wilbert saddle horn I’ve found out, but it looks more like the Ulster and Southington bone to me.

Here's an old one. The knife is 3 - 1/16 " closed.The main blade's tang is stamped (less the quotation symbols, naturally) "UNION RAZOR", on one side, and "TIDIOUTE" on the other side. The smaller blades' tangs are stamped "TIDIOUTE", on one side only. All of the blades are swedged, albeit unevenly. Very nice "walk & talk", and with half stops on all of the blades. The brass liners are coined on one side (blade opening side). The bone scales are notched out to access the smaller blades' nail nicks.
20181205_161415.jpg 20181205_161621.jpg 20181205_161705.jpg

Last edited:
Back