"Old Knives"

Great score there Kevin. Here is the issue of HTT that the ad appeared in and the ad that was in the magazine. I bought the magazine off of Bernard Levine a short time after I bought a Bulldog HTT. I have seen a few others over the years. Somewhere I have a scan of Bernard's Knife World article on this pattern, but I haven't found it so far.

0Bj1xX9.jpg

w1j9DRx.jpg

Last edited:
Great find Kevin and John.

Beautiful Schrades and others shown since I checked out this thread.
Paul T, Mark had the best collection of Peachseeds on earth, I am sure!! His knives have gone to a good friend and knife collector!
I miss Mark! He was a good person first, and a knife collector second!!
RIP!!
He was the first I saw to photograph knives as art.

This is one of those vintage knives you wish you could find in mint condition, rare Robeson pre WW2 Washington Jack with a Hickory Whittler etch.

View attachment 1116948 View attachment 1116949 View attachment 1116950 View attachment 1116951 View attachment 1116952

Great score, John!! Washington bolster, sunk joint, nice bone and general gorgeousness.
What's not to love!!:)

I picked this one up the other day... seller didn't have the best pics of it and the description said "see pictures for description" LoL. So I took a chance on it knowing that it looked like a nice old Remington. I thought based on the old "Remington UMC" circle stamp that it was c.1921-1924 but it turns out it is likely from 1936. I say 1936 specifically because it turns out that this was a one time offer from "Hunter Trader Trapper" magazine as a gift for getting a subscription. This was offered in the October issue of 1936. Mike Robuck has a write-up about these knives in his book and I'm searching for an article that Bernard Levine wrote regarding these in the Knife World magazine as well. I had no idea when I bought the knife that it was particularly rare ;) You will see it is in pretty nice vintage shape... snap is very good and there is no play at all. It's very unique in that it was built on the Remington R3933 frame which was originally for their jumbo sleeveboard whittler, so you will see in the last picture that it actually has two springs for the single blade. The Hunter Trader Trapper catalog called this the Remington "Bulldog" model which I think is aptly named because the sleeveboard frame itself is shaped like a bulldog body; skinny rump and broad shoulders.:D It's 3-5/8" long closed... for scale, I took a pic of it with a Case peanut that I got from one of @r redden 's GAWs :)

View attachment 1116984 View attachment 1116985 View attachment 1116986 View attachment 1116987 View attachment 1116988 View attachment 1116989 View attachment 1116990

Bully for you, Kevin!!:D Nice harvest!!:thumbsup:

p8avvuy.jpg
3fU9pr7.jpg
axTnQVJ.jpg

Picked this up today. Check out that homemade bail! Cleaned the edge up and got it scary sharp. If I got my research right that's a 1932-1955 stamp? Solid old pruner, just a bit of side to side play, think I bit of a squeeze will fix that.

David, that's a nice old Queen and I love the homemade bail, I've got a Case pruner with a bail like that.

Went to a small local knife show today and picked up a 1/2 dozen or so interesting knives. First is a Wards stag handled cattle knife, most early Wards were made by Winchester. Knife is well worn but still has great snap and no play, the stag is very well done, bolster to bolster, sure wish they fitted stag like this today. Early American made stag knives are not common so I was a little surprised to stumble upon this one.

IMG_0173.jpg IMG_0171.jpg IMG_0174.jpg IMG_0177.jpg

Hillbilly matey- LOVGE Old Pruners, and that old Queen is exactly that - a Queen! Like our friend Augie says - thta home made Bail adds to it- hope you leave it on the Ol' girl!

Augie, I always loved those Wards Cattle's ( some may call that a Stockman - but Im thinking size etc = Cattle? ), you have got yourself a good one my friend! The Stag is gorgeous - like you say the older Knives were done extremely well!

Well done friends! Thank you for sharing!

David, that's a nice old Queen and I love the homemade bail, I've got a Case pruner with a bail like that.

Hillbilly matey- LOVGE Old Pruners, and that old Queen is exactly that - a Queen! Like our friend Augie says - thta home made Bail adds to it- hope you leave it on the Ol' girl!

Augie, I always loved those Wards Cattle's ( some may call that a Stockman - but Im thinking size etc = Cattle? ), you have got yourself a good one my friend! The Stag is gorgeous - like you say the older Knives were done extremely well!

Well done friends! Thank you for sharing!

David, a heck of a Queen Pruner, like mentioned, I like that added bail:thumbsup:

John, my friend, you have a hound dog sense, that's a compliment:p:thumbsup: What-a-Wards:cool::cool::cool: Those covers are vintage excellence right there:)

Thanks guys! For sure the bail stays! I love copper anyways, and it looks good with black.Only things I've done is sharpen it and tighten it up a little bit. Peened the pin, going to use 1500 grit to clean up my hammer marks. But think I'll leave the pin a bit proud and domed. Oh and of course a good flush and oil:thumbsup:

Back