"Old Knives"

Lovely old fixed blade, Duncan! The seminal feature of that blade seems to me to be the huge blood groove (fuller), so maybe TROQUAIR has something to do with that. A big stretch, but a TROCHAR is a surgical instrument used to pierce the body and remove fluid (blood, etc.) from the tissues. Just brainstorming, no idea if it's any help at all. :confused:

Duncan;

That Scout is interesting. Brass liners used to keep it thin compared to the others? And I can't tell from the photo but it looks like the punch is thinner stock than the main blade? What is that little gold square we can see in the picture of the underside? Did they machine the center liner to act as a spacer for the thinner punch?

Wow Duncan, both amazing and unique in their own right. I saw video's the other day when we spoke but it's nice to see and study the actual pictures:thumbsup:

Very different and unique, like their owner...;):)

I am not too sure if this will take your Fancy, but it does me, I snagged this Fixed Blade the other day as it too has something I havent found before on a Wade and Butcher, and that is the Etching inside the Fuller in Fancy Script " TROQUAIR " I have to be honest and dont know what this means, TRAQUAIR is a Scottish era / town, but the etching is spelt with a O and not an A?
can anybody help me with this?, usually there is an etch of a Famous Person, Battle etc, but each time I google the Troquair spelling it switches it to the known spelling with an A?
This fixed blade is the more decent sized Knife nearly 13 inches long and I was surprised when I received this knife as the condition is just great, mostly a 100% full blade with Patina - but I personally think it's a great Knife- and the bonus is that it is as tight as the day it was made!!

x3WXqES.jpg

8MQOhYn.jpg

VwTnlsl.jpg

duPrOWZ.jpg

1OjuKRW.jpg

tm1yWBe.jpg
I love your fixed blade! I wonder if the etch is maybe a joke, perhaps a political joke? Here is something to read. Growing up on a ranch, Dad and I would sometimes have to relieve the pressure of a heifer with the bloat. It was not a pretty thing, and we just did it with a pocket knife, but I have seen these instruments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trocar

I am not too sure if this will take your Fancy, but it does me, I snagged this Fixed Blade the other day as it too has something I havent found before on a Wade and Butcher, and that is the Etching inside the Fuller in Fancy Script " TROQUAIR " I have to be honest and dont know what this means, TRAQUAIR is a Scottish era / town, but the etching is spelt with a O and not an A?
can anybody help me with this?, usually there is an etch of a Famous Person, Battle etc, but each time I google the Troquair spelling it switches it to the known spelling with an A?
This fixed blade is the more decent sized Knife nearly 13 inches long and I was surprised when I received this knife as the condition is just great, mostly a 100% full blade with Patina - but I personally think it's a great Knife- and the bonus is that it is as tight as the day it was made!!

x3WXqES.jpg

8MQOhYn.jpg

VwTnlsl.jpg

duPrOWZ.jpg

1OjuKRW.jpg

tm1yWBe.jpg

Good find, Duncan!

Duncan;

That Scout is interesting. Brass liners used to keep it thin compared to the others? And I can't tell from the photo but it looks like the punch is thinner stock than the main blade? What is that little gold square we can see in the picture of the underside? Did they machine the center liner to act as a spacer for the thinner punch?

Hi everyone and thank you for the kind Comments, I am not sure of the suggestions with the Stamping- but who Knows, I remember the trio set from Wade and Butcher of 3 smaller Hunting Knives each that had, Boone, Pioneer and Teddy, but there was also Wallaby etched on another Knife as well, so this is a Reference- and I think? a serious one - but to more likely a person - but who?

eisman Sir- you are on right on the dot, the Punches Spine is thinner and the Brass is an extra Spacer to counter for the thinner Punch compared to the Wider Main blade!

x3WXqES.jpg

8MQOhYn.jpg

VwTnlsl.jpg

duPrOWZ.jpg

1OjuKRW.jpg

tm1yWBe.jpg

Wow Duncan, stunning W&B fixie! Love everything about it!

Having had a forty-one year career in surgery, "trochar" jumped out at me immediately.

Cannot explain the spelling, other than it's something other than English.

Google provides zero matches for "troquair".

Here is a interesting Scout from Camillus, well- you may be forgiven to think- "Ahhh well yes...like all the other Hundreds Ive seen..."
And rightly so- but if all the other Hundreds were in good shape- you've seen a lot of very nicely put together and attractive Knives!

But this fellow here has a few points of interest, and I am glad this Knife has these, as something like this makes a different knife to put away with my other Scouts!

So I put up a smaller line up of Camillus WW2 era Scouts / Utility Knives - the five are in good shape and are all very sturdy Knives, but the one you see open on the right hand size has Rear Spring that is Massive when compared to all of my Camillus Scouts /Utility Knives, it also has a faded Etch that in large lettering says " BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA " Another interesting point is that each and every Blade, tool of this Knife is stamped the earlier 3 line Camillus Stamp- I haven't any other Scouts that have them all Stamped!

The Punch also you don't see often on a Camillus- sure Camillus use a few different Punches, from their lovely and famous Spiral Punch, another is a very plain and thin Punch that is fairly unremarkable, and now this one Patented Aug 11th 1908, No. 895778, the Moritz Mayer Punch, although this Punch has been used and worn but not abused, the Punch sports not only all the above Patent information, but on the other side the 3 line CAMILLUS. CUTLERY CO. CAMILLUS NY. as do all the other Blades / Tools.

ZVnKXUu.jpg

Bone is outstanding, and the pins are all Hammered, where as the WW2 era'd Knives- the Spring Pin is Spun on all.

vQYd4Cl.jpg

jw3lF8k.jpg

Ffs4ZKZ.jpg

LcUX7US.jpg

K9HwQGF.jpg

4YUGZxF.jpg

On the left you see the much larger Spring for the main compared to the others- you may have to look a little close as the Liners and Springs a a little hard to differentiate in these poor cell phone photo's..

8OxmJZU.jpg

So I suspect that this would be one of the much earlier Scouts that has these different points compared to most others I have seen, in fact I have not seen another like this - but would like to if you have one please?

That is a rare old knife my friend. Here is a sales ad from 1927 to go along with that fine example.

View attachment 1248054

x3WXqES.jpg

8MQOhYn.jpg

VwTnlsl.jpg

duPrOWZ.jpg

1OjuKRW.jpg

tm1yWBe.jpg

Another great find with an uncommon marking. "Troquair" is another spelling for "Traquair" (As listed in "Blaeu's Map of Tweedale") which is a famous centuries old mansion in Scotland.
Wade & Butcher were fond of naming their knives as you mentioned. While I haven't seen a "Troquair" before, it is very similar to the "Pioneer" model except with a stag pommel instead of aluminum.
Here are a few pictures showing the "Teddy", "Boone", and "Pioneer".

View attachment 1248063

View attachment 1248064

Found a few cool old knives today at a flea market. Can anyone tell me about them?

One is a Remington R1477
The second is an advertising knife for Poll Parrot shoes for boys and girls.

Once I figure out uploading I will post pictures

x3WXqES.jpg

8MQOhYn.jpg

VwTnlsl.jpg

duPrOWZ.jpg

1OjuKRW.jpg

tm1yWBe.jpg

Troquair was a castle in Scotland from the times of Robert the Bruce.

For reference

https://books.google.com/books?id=G...ECA0QAQ#v=onepage&q=troquair scotland&f=false

Latest reference I can find for someone being "from Troquair" with that spelling is 1696, Thomas Edgar

I love research, especially when it comes to Scottish and celtic history.

Last edited:
Herder- thank you so much my friend for your kind comments and supplied Catalog Advertisement - that’s very much appreciated.
I actually thought it may have been slightly earlier - but now you have placed me back on track. I do think as well that perhaps this knife isn’t in abundance- it could very very easily be passed on by others as the more common Scouts of the slightly later period if they didn’t pick up on the variances this knife has, so it is a pleasing addition to my Scouts. :):thumbsup:

Dragonhaus
Many thanks for this - obviously the Scottish area Troquair was the closest but that one letter / aaaggggh! But thanks to you this maybe the answer!
Again my friend thank you.

Last edited:
Back