"Old Knives"

Thanks to those who commented on my stockman. I like that knife a lot. :)

It would be the "Star" of many collections!!:)

Paul, I hate that knife . . . . it keeps me up at night! ;)
First thing on opening my computer, I went back and looked at it again!!
Good morning Paul and Jeff!!
I hope you get some sleep, Jeff!!:D

Thought I would repost this knife in a few places to get other opinions. I find the master blade a Sheffield peculiarity.I thought at first ,someone might have altered a pruning blade, but upon inspection the kick doesn't appear to be altered. This would have to be done to allow the blade seated inside the framework.

Normal farmers jacks with this blade edge would peek out above the frame. Opinions, insights.Thanks

Thomas Turner069.jpg Thomas Turner072.jpg Thomas Turner077.jpg

The kick does not look "cut down" from here!!?? Looks cleaned though!!??

Not exactly. It almost looks reshaped. A sheepfoot is usually straighter on the spine of the blade! If it was previously a pruning blade, maybe it had a shallow "hook"?

Thought I would repost this knife in a few places to get other opinions. I find the master blade a Sheffield peculiarity.I thought at first ,someone might have altered a pruning blade, but upon inspection the kick doesn't appear to be altered. This would have to be done to allow the blade seated inside the framework.

Normal farmers jacks with this blade edge would peek out above the frame. Opinions, insights.Thanks

View attachment 1244131 View attachment 1244132 View attachment 1244133

The kick looks good. And the blade has a nice even full flat grind with a thin edge bevel all the way to the tip, with swedges intact. If an amateur had reground a pruner blade it would be thicker behind the edge at the tip. So it either came that way from the factory or someone with good skills reground the blade.

Nice well-cut stag, btw.

Just got this one in today

Schrade Walden 879

MviG2Rb.jpg

mtXsiXR.jpg

mfABAmx.jpg

Clements family Farmers whittlers787.jpg Clements pearl farmers whittler782.jpg
The kick looks good. And the blade has a nice even full flat grind with a thin edge bevel all the way to the tip, with swedges intact. If an amateur had reground a pruner blade it would be thicker behind the edge at the tip. So it either came that way from the factory or someone with good skills reground the blade.

Nice well-cut stag, btw.
I don’t think it was reground either.
It’s the same people that made the above pattern knives , so we have some high class gardening being made by Thomas Turner.

Thomas Turner gardeners 3 bld.jpg

It was probably the Mills (Ernest or William) while working at TT or in private the Clement gardeners;

Last edited:

View attachment 1244131 View attachment 1244132 View attachment 1244133

Just got this one in today

Schrade Walden 879

MviG2Rb.jpg

mtXsiXR.jpg

mfABAmx.jpg

Primble ISW arrived this week. 3 3/8" it's a gentlemanly little knife. Top quality craftsmanship on these old ISW knives. View attachment 1245115 View attachment 1245116 View attachment 1245117

View attachment 1245387 View attachment 1245388
I don’t think it was reground either.
It’s the same people that put the above pattern knives , so we have some high class gardening being made by Thomas Turner.

View attachment 1245324

And probably the Mills while working at TT or in private the Clement gardeners;
What a page of eye popping knives fella's, all beauties:eek::cool::thumbsup:

Back