"Old Knives"

My Great Grandpa passed on this little knife to me as a boy. He passed away some time ago now and I’m happy to have a special family token to carry on to remember him by. I don’t know much about it or how old it is, but it seems like a quality little antique. Anyways, I thought I’d reach out to some enthusiasts and see if anyone knows anything about this lil gem of a slipjoint and its history.
A6F338F3-2247-4F63-B169-DFA495B401DC_zps7yx1cpwj.jpeg
2A91AAFB-1AF0-4CC8-815C-12CC8052D3C5_zpseck9muk6.jpeg

A4EED540-DBB3-4479-9F59-4570B1651CDD_zps5p646mpe.jpeg

A86F83CB-C7D1-472B-9600-531FC372D67E_zps8xkrnmrm.jpeg
It's a little hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks like the "clamshell" construction used when Imperial owned the Hammer Brand mark.
dMiCYQw.jpg

Whatever its rarity, having come from your Great Grandpa, it's priceless treasure.
Sorry if its bringing this thread down but I believe I found a colonial American pocket knife while metal detecting in Massachusetts along some old farm walls in the woods. Anyone else seeing it? Ideas how I might improve it to maybe definitely tell? I already smacked it on a tree while out thinking it was a hunk of ox shoe, o well. You can definitely see it has wood slab scales.
View attachment 1238978 View attachment 1238979 View attachment 1238980
Wow. I can't wait to see what's under the rust. You might want to read up on archeological preservation, etc. I'm afraid my first impulses of either a wire brush or as Charlie says, an ultrasonic, might damage it.

My Great Grandpa passed on this little knife to me as a boy. He passed away some time ago now and I’m happy to have a special family token to carry on to remember him by. I don’t know much about it or how old it is, but it seems like a quality little antique. Anyways, I thought I’d reach out to some enthusiasts and see if anyone knows anything about this lil gem of a slipjoint and its history.
2A91AAFB-1AF0-4CC8-815C-12CC8052D3C5_zpseck9muk6.jpeg

A4EED540-DBB3-4479-9F59-4570B1651CDD_zps5p646mpe.jpeg

A86F83CB-C7D1-472B-9600-531FC372D67E_zps8xkrnmrm.jpeg

I think 1930's-1940s would be correct. Priceless because it came from your great grandpa. Cool celluloid, I have never seen any like that before.

Sorry if its bringing this thread down but I believe I found a colonial American pocket knife while metal detecting in Massachusetts along some old farm walls in the woods. Anyone else seeing it? Ideas how I might improve it to maybe definitely tell? I already smacked it on a tree while out thinking it was a hunk of ox shoe, o well. You can definitely see it has wood slab scales.
View attachment 1238978 View attachment 1238979 View attachment 1238980

I don't think this is colonial. This is possibly conjecture because it is hard to see anything, but the general shape looks like a swayback jack with a sheepsfoot blade, which was popular from the mid-1800s on. Just because it was found by an old wall does not make it as old as the wall. It could have been dropped there 30 years ago. If you look at images of items retrieved from the steamship Arabia wreck (it sank in 1856) you will see some swayback jacks.

I dont see any reason as to why you wouldnt soften that with Water- Nothing it hasn't seen in the Ground getting wet for the last????? years, Water will soften the Dirt so you can work it off, if you soak it sensibly- as in at short intervals at a time, you will soak the outside FAR more than the inside, and if a bit of Water gets into the metal? so what? as I said before- nothing compared to what this knife has had over the past probably 1, 2 or 3 decades- more?

The Knife hasn't been dry- otherwise it wouldn't be solidly caked around the Knife- its been wet - then dry - the wet.... and so on - a bit of water wont hurt whatsoever, then once you get to close layers that may still cocoon the Knife- water again by dipping in then out will help soften the cakes of Dirt / Mud, once you finish you can rinse with warm water- then treat with WD40.

Sounds like you've done this before, eisman!!?

I like the ultrasonic cleaner; but I've been surprised at what it can do at times. I won't put wood or any of the old plastic or rubber (or pretty much any pre-1950 synthetic) in the tank. Some just get dull, some lose color as the dyes and oils come out, and some end up as little bitty particles in just a few minutes. And the sad part is it's hard to guess which will happen.

Whoa! Sounds too risky!! Thanks eisman!!

Last edited:
Would it be redundant to start a thread just for very obscure cutlery brands? I wouldn't want to be a "splitter" :oops:

Here is a knife marked "Jones & Son Germany" (seller's pics) I've never heard of them, and can't find anything besides a listing in Goins with no dates or info. The lack of swedging makes me think it's post WWII, but that's just a wild guess. It's all steel construction, no brass, and seeing what looks like a pinned shield on ebony, I went for it.
Judging from the rust pattern, I think it was stored closed on something damp.

7kQJzDo.jpg

AJ9HFPx.jpg

I'll knock the rust off it with some fine steel wool and give it a good oiling.

So I've been pretty good lately but this 861 showed up on the bay and I couldn't help but send an offer. Got it for a great price.

Somewhere along the line it had a bad sharpening job, even touched a grinder, but I got that straightened out and will now carry it occasionally. Thankfully they didn't scratch up the blades terribly. Really snappy and smooth as butter, just so well made. It's a nice supplement to the one I have that is in perfect condition.

IMG_6009.jpg
IMG_6006.JPG

Back