"Old Knives"

Picked up this Schrade Cut Co curved jack with some type of synthetic handles. 3 5/8". Pretty much unused but suffered from corrosion.
Etch is Arnold,Hoffman&Co Inc which was a dye manufacturer that traced it's roots back to 1815 and was around until the early 1990's
I don't remember seeing this pattern all that often.

IMG_1064.jpg

Nice find, John!!:cool: It says "Compliments"!!:)
I wonder what the role of that knife was back then??o_O

I don't think I have posted this one before. If so, my apologies. A 3 1/4" Ulster jack with nice ebony
Vfrs03D.jpg

Please...... tell us more about that Dandy looking Knife

What I know isn't much...This is the second knife I've found in this pattern; it doesn't seem to big player. I know it looks a lot like a Doctors pattern when closed, but it's bigger than most of those, being 4" long when closed. Cattaragus shows the pattern as a "Slim Jack". I like slim main blades and pens on the "right" side, so this punches my buttons. This one has a little patina on the main (more noticeable in the pics below) but the pen looks factory clean. Lovely scales and even the shield works well (although it's slightly tilted off the centerline). Main blade is dead center, pen pulls in a little and has some rub marks from the center spacer. All in all a pattern I'd love to see somebody resurrect.

More pics from off the desktop tonight...

Y0umSb0.jpg

jolS4o0.jpg

icOZ6H8.jpg

TadEIvt.jpg

H703rL2.jpg

Eisman, beautiful “slim” Jack! Those handles are gorgeous with all the different colors jumping out especially the orangey brown highlights. Cattaraugus and Robeson really had the Indian Trail or Worm Groove jigging down to a fine art. Those jigging patterns along with the Schrade peach seed and NYKC pick bone jigging are probably some of the best jigging patterns of all time:eek::) imho

I agree with you Lloyd about the Bone. The very reason as to why I asked about the Knife - that Bone is Stunning, Thank you eisman Sir for coming back to satisfy my curiosity - most appreciated!
Those Blades are beautiful too! - just check out the Swedge work on them! Lovely Knife my friend!

My Great Grandpa passed on this little knife to me as a boy. He passed away some time ago now and I’m happy to have a special family token to carry on to remember him by. I don’t know much about it or how old it is, but it seems like a quality little antique. Anyways, I thought I’d reach out to some enthusiasts and see if anyone knows anything about this lil gem of a slipjoint and its history.
A6F338F3-2247-4F63-B169-DFA495B401DC_zps7yx1cpwj.jpeg
2A91AAFB-1AF0-4CC8-815C-12CC8052D3C5_zpseck9muk6.jpeg

A6F338F3-2247-4F63-B169-DFA495B401DC_zps7yx1cpwj.jpeg

A4EED540-DBB3-4479-9F59-4570B1651CDD_zps5p646mpe.jpeg

A86F83CB-C7D1-472B-9600-531FC372D67E_zps8xkrnmrm.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry if its bringing this thread down but I believe I found a colonial American pocket knife while metal detecting in Massachusetts along some old farm walls in the woods. Anyone else seeing it? Ideas how I might improve it to maybe definitely tell? I already smacked it on a tree while out thinking it was a hunk of ox shoe, o well. You can definitely see it has wood slab scales.
knifeold.jpg knifeold1.jpg knifeold3.jpg

Back