"Old Knives"

Wow! There's a couple of beautiful Camullis Knives Charlie!
R8shell, yep...those Banner Shields are pretty cool eh! Man- That Ol' Knife ! seen some work for sure! good to see these old workhorses!

That old banner shield is a big part of my decision, Rachel!!
I have a couple around here!
Wow! There's a couple of beautiful Camullis Knives Charlie!
R8shell, yep...those Banner Shields are pretty cool eh! Man- That Ol' Knife ! seen some work for sure! good to see these old workhorses!
Those are some fine old Jacks, Charlie! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I didn't have any knives with banner shields in my collection, so yeah, I went for it even though the blades are pretty used up. Fortunately, I can still get my nail into the nick on the broken pen, so it'll work for a coping blade and I can put a straight edge on the main. "Rachel's Home for Old and Worn Knives" rehabilitates another old worker. :D

Yep...banner shields. Of all my antique knives, this one is among my favorites
3eITIfz.jpg

My wife went through a phase where she was buying a lot of knives... of course she was going for mainly pretty ones like Tiffany SAK's and MOPs. Last night she was digging thru some boxes, handed me this one and asked me to tell her about it. Well without opening it I first noticed the groovy bone and rat tail bolsters and told her right away it was not a cheaply made knife. Of course next I noticed an empty well where once a majestic blade had been so someone likely did some prying with it at some point so it was now a 3/4 congress ;) Of course at that point I was going to ask her how much she paid for it but decided it didn't matter much LoL. I was honestly expecting to see Cattaraugus or HSB when I opened it up; low and behold it said "Tom Ray Cutlery Co". I told my wife... "well you stumped me on this one!". So I got the Goins book out and found that Tom Ray Cutlery was a wholesale store out of Kansas City, MO and that the knives were likely manufactured c.1905-1910 by John Chattilon out of Fulton, NY. I told her other than the broken blade, it is a very cool and collectible knife so she told me "Happy New Year, it's yours" :D It's about 3-5/16" long and very nice action on the blades, great snap (unusual for an old congress) and very sharp!

TR-1A.JPG TR-1B.JPG TR-1C.JPG TR-1D.JPG
TR-1E.JPG

My wife went through a phase where she was buying a lot of knives... of course she was going for mainly pretty ones like Tiffany SAK's and MOPs. Last night she was digging thru some boxes, handed me this one and asked me to tell her about it. Well without opening it I first noticed the groovy bone and rat tail bolsters and told her right away it was not a cheaply made knife. Of course next I noticed an empty well where once a majestic blade had been so someone likely did some prying with it at some point so it was now a 3/4 congress ;) Of course at that point I was going to ask her how much she paid for it but decided it didn't matter much LoL. I was honestly expecting to see Cattaraugus or HSB when I opened it up; low and behold it said "Tom Ray Cutlery Co". I told my wife... "well you stumped me on this one!". So I got the Goins book out and found that Tom Ray Cutlery was a wholesale store out of Kansas City, MO and that the knives were likely manufactured c.1905-1910 by John Chattilon out of Fulton, NY. I told her other than the broken blade, it is a very cool and collectible knife so she told me "Happy New Year, it's yours" :D It's about 3-5/16" long and very nice action on the blades, great snap (unusual for an old congress) and very sharp!

View attachment 1258332 View attachment 1258333 View attachment 1258334 View attachment 1258335
View attachment 1258337
Very cool find. :cool::thumbsup:

That works for me too. You guys are killing me!

View attachment 1258332 View attachment 1258333 View attachment 1258334 View attachment 1258335
View attachment 1258337

Nice find. I have never seen a Tom Ray in person.

Back