"Old Knives"

Nice, beefy Holly, by golly, LongBlade. I have a congress that says "congress knife" on the blade. Not sure either are much in the way of marketing terms.

That is a nice one Augie! Such warm beautiful Bone my friend!

That Tang Stamp I was so pleased to grab with everything else on this Stunning HJ..

Hqtl9zj.jpg

cs2aNnr.jpg

WylEPY5.jpg

Just an awesome HJ Duncan :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... all the way around it is a beauty but that etch is just very cool and puts it over the top :cool: :cool: ....

Mike R., beautiful pearl IXL Senator, and I love those pinched bolsters.
LongBlade, Nice old Holley.
waynorth, Great Empires with classic Empire shields.
Augie, fine old Primble.
Campbellclanman, fantastic etch on that Primble H.J.
North Shore, nice group of Swiss Army knives, I have a few old ones myself.

I used to own one like that Herder my friend, I have NO idea what happened to it as I haven't seen it in a long time, sold-gifted? But I can tell you it wasn't in THAT condition! Beautiful Knife my friend!
What is that lovely Knife resting on- is it an antique Tile of sorts?

I used to own one like that Herder my friend, I have NO idea what happened to it as I haven't seen it in a long time, sold-gifted? But I can tell you it wasn't in THAT condition! Beautiful Knife my friend!
What is that lovely Knife resting on- is it an antique Tile of sorts?

Thanks, and that object is a fold open picture frame made from gutta percha in the late 1800s.

Camillus called this #72 folder a "Carpenter's and Whittler's Knife". While it wasn't a true whittler pattern, it was a great all around knife in nearly a perfect size.
These models are pretty common, but harder to find with genuine bone handles as this one has from the early 1950s.

View attachment 1319124

Beautiful Wadsworth in great condition, herder!:thumbsup:
Great congress, Augie!:thumbsup: Very interesting and unique (IMHO) jigging.
Lovely bone 72's herder and Beaver!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Beautiful Wadsworth in great condition, herder!:thumbsup:
Great congress, Augie!:thumbsup: Very interesting and unique (IMHO) jigging.
Lovely bone 72's herder and Beaver!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Dan, the bone is a very fine pick bone, just my observations but that style of bone jigging seems to be from the late 1800's to very early 1900's, that seems to be where most of the knives that I have seen with that jigging date from. Here is an 1800's Russell Jack with the same type although not as fine as the Providence.

IMG_0560.jpg

Thanks Dan, the bone is a very fine pick bone, just my observations but that style of bone jigging seems to be from the late 1800's to very early 1900's, that seems to be where most of the knives that I have seen with that jigging date from. Here is an 1800's Russell Jack with the same type although not as fine as the Providence.

View attachment 1319706

The style of picked bone on the Russell jack is more what I am used to calling pick bone. The "picks", or gouges? are just about as wide as they are long. On the Providence, the "picks" much narrower and longer (finer). I personally have seen very few examples of pick bone that finely jigged, but I do like it a lot.

Thanks for the nice comments Campbellclanman, Beaver, and danno50. And another nice #72 example from Beaver, I carried one also for a time a long time ago... :)

Great example comparing some jigged bone!!! Always fascinating to see the many variations from different cutlers.
And nice old stag on the model from Pt-Luso.

Nice knives Augie, Herder, Beaver, lambertiana, Pt-Luso and tongueriver :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... all nice editions.. but following up on the Camillus 72 -

Thanks, and that object is a fold open picture frame made from gutta percha in the late 1800s.

Camillus called this #72 folder a "Carpenter's and Whittler's Knife". While it wasn't a true whittler pattern, it was a great all around knife in nearly a perfect size.
These models are pretty common, but harder to find with genuine bone handles as this one has from the early 1950s.

View attachment 1319124

Here's a Camillus 72 but this one was made in 1946 which is the year the pattern was first made... Note the coping blade on the back end rather than next to master blade which is the major difference... This was the only year they did this and some refer to it as a First Generation "72"... Though as you say it is not a true whittler I still keep it with my other whittlers just given the name but probably more so because it probably made a fine whittler or carpenter's knife given the functionality and size :) ... This one is abit out of my focus in terms of my geocentric collecting in terms of makers o_O - but can't pass up a good knife when the occasion arises - so I consider it part of my special opportunity finds ;) ...

ybRK9fC.jpg

HlGxzfA.jpg

0zwKFlA.jpg

XKFskS1.jpg

W0E8FaM.jpg

Back