"Old Knives"

Rob, North Shore, some very fine knives, beauties to look at.

Found a nice very little use 3" Challenge half Congress. Challenge had some very nice bone.

View attachment 1361773 View attachment 1361774

Love the bone on this Challenge, very nice one Augie :thumbsup:

Hibbard Spencer and Bartlett pen @ 3.25 inches. Who made it? By the bone I would say pre-1930. Another question: Does anyone know what kind of lovely little hand machine was used to mill liners back in the day? I have heard that a lady did it in her home for Schrade in the 1950s.View attachment 1362350 View attachment 1362351 View attachment 1362352 View attachment 1362353

Great old bone on this OVB and it has the perfect shield Cal:thumbsup:

Received good info from Kai76 that the HSB OVB was made by NYK and he even included a catalog cut of the exact knife. Pre-1920 for sure. Thank you Kai!

Wow - There’s SO MUCH to these old Knives. Catalogs are indeed THE way to go for answers. Thanks for helping us Cal and thank you to Kai! :cool: :thumbsup:

halfwit-1-jpg.1361980

Is this a half-congress??^;)
it's a cool pattern, IMO!

Love that knife, Charlie! I've not seen that before!

I recently was able to acquire a small collection of Schrade Cut arched tang stamp folders. The seller was consolidating his collection and readjusting his antique knife collecting focus and so I fortunately happened to be in the right place at the right time;) There are five knives composed of two jacks, an easy open jack, an opposite end single spring jack and a cattle knife. The clip jack has cocobolo handles, the other Ebony and the other three have classic pick bone handles. None of the pick bone has any cracks or splits. The clip blade jack has definitely seen some sharpening and thus some blade loss however the others have seen very little sharpening if any in some cases. The Ebony jack still has a lot of the crocus finish on the mark side blade and the other blade surfaces glazed.

FA1BD791-52D7-44AA-BEAD-2E227335BF33.jpeg F40AB126-84F6-43D0-9CE8-A1DCFFAB0100.jpeg 30604D12-560D-4B71-878D-EFAF198A50AD.jpeg B138F9E8-B867-4BF5-85EF-3B3A14F43052.jpeg 9D09D309-2510-4729-94CB-0A3C26937B31.jpeg 9798BDBF-C7B0-463D-9BD7-D670A128C27B.jpeg 83E382E1-8851-46AB-B4AE-3F30DC6A6DC9.jpeg 1108CE47-E153-4EE9-87CD-C2A2CC529A23.jpeg

I recently was able to acquire a small collection of Schrade Cut arched tang stamp folders. The seller was consolidating his collection and readjusting his antique knife collecting focus and so I fortunately happened to be in the right place at the right time;) There are five knives composed of two jacks, an easy open jack, an opposite end single spring jack and a cattle knife. The clip jack has cocobolo handles, the other Ebony and the other three have classic pick bone handles. None of the pick bone has any cracks or splits. The clip blade jack has definitely seen some sharpening and thus some blade loss however the others have seen very little sharpening if any in some cases. The Ebony jack still has a lot of the crocus finish on the mark side blade and the other blade surfaces glazed.

View attachment 1366050 View attachment 1366051 View attachment 1366044 View attachment 1366046 View attachment 1366045 View attachment 1366047 View attachment 1366048 View attachment 1366049
Luckeeee!!:mad: I musta been sleeping!!:eek: JK! JK!:D
Nice score Lloyd!!:thumbsup: The older the better!! The most fun to collect!!;)Beautiful!! Prime Vintage!!:)

My goodness; that is one of the most amazing posts regarding the early Schrades in quite some time (excluding Charlie's posts, of course). This is special in regard to study of early bone jigging, among other things, from that company. Thanx so much for this post.

Jeff thanks for the nice comment! Charlie may be better able to answer your question, however it is my understanding that the arched tang stamp is pre circa 1917. There is some question about that but that is the best I know presently.

Outstanding examples Lloyd my friend. I personally think any loss off that Jack from sharpening is ultra minimal and regard that as an extremely nice example.

That Pic Bone should be illegal with how good it looks. Like Cal said - Thank you for sharing.
After discussing these a wee while ago Lloyd - did you pick up that other one ?

Thanks again Charlie for the dating input! Thanks Mike and Duncan for the nice comments!!

Duncan, no I could not come to any sort of terms for that HJ. Did not feel like taking on the project. Finding a donor
for the pick bone would have been daunting and a repair without replacing the handle(s) just would not look
right imo.

I just got this Challenge Cutlery Barehead Jack. Not a lot of info out there about them but I believe they went out of business in the 1920's

YR9NPQd.jpg

lr20B82.jpg

hzGBhis.jpg

Nice Challenge Steve! Challenge knives are some of the highest quality vintage knives in my opinion. If I remember my Challenge history correctly they started out in Sheffield England and were imported into a New York distributer, the distributer eventually set up a factory in Bridgeport Connecticut and many of the cutlers employed were from England.
The one on the right in the picture is a Challenge and may be the same as your knife.

IMG_9447.jpeg

Back