Old school carry

I guess I’m kind of old fashioned. I’ve never really warmed up to pocket clips. I still carry my knife loose in my pocket with keys, change, etc. I’m always carrying too much other stuff to dedicate a whole pocket to just my knife. It always gives me a little stress, though to throw a new knife in my pocket with keys, change, etc., but once it gets some pocket wear, I seem to enjoy the knife more because I can quit worrying about it getting scratched and dinged up. Does anyone still carry loose in the pocket with other stuff these days, or am I one of the last of that breed?

Nah, there are plenty of folks that don't care for clips, even if they like modern folders. My dad won't use a pocket clip under any circumstances and I won't carry without one. It's one of the reasons that I like the fact that removable pocket clips have become so ubiquitous.

I'm sure your not alone,
I know I've added a small multi-tool, or small folder in deep pocket carry, but for me it would
be an addition item to my regular
clip carry.
There are options, ofcourse, that you can adopt like a 'slip cover' to
protect a nicer piece.
I've seen the 'suspension carry clips' for add-in small items,
but there's nothing wrong with your carry option...
Unless, of-course faster access
is a concern.
B.T.B.

No longer. It took me awhile to warm up to clips, but once I have I am not going back, except in certain circumstance where I don't want to show a clip. When I used to loose carry it was not that uncommon for me to have an escapee. I have mostly eliminated that with the clip(and the way I carry clipped). It did take some time to get used to the feel of the clip in the hand.
There are a lot of folks that still carry traditionals

I still carry down in my RFP, but that's the only thing I carry in that pocket. It's 100% dedicated to a pocketknife. Been that way for years. Wallet, keys, handkerchief, pocketknife. That's all I carry in my pockets.

I try, I try, I try... But I just cant stand clips, I end up removing it on all my knives.

I know they get dirty quicker that way, but I don't mind giving more frequent maintenance to keep it smooth.

A user will always be dinged and scratched anyway. It is more a matter of comfort carrying it.
Also I only carry the smaller ones in my pockets, larger one is in my knapsack.

Hate it when pocket change lodges iself between the blade and handle. Anything without a clip goes in the watch or back pocket.

I carry both clipped and loose, though I do prefer the pocket I carry my knives in(right front, always) to be empty. On occasion I’ll toss some change in or my keys, but I always sort it out once I’ve stopped somewhere, like getting back to the car/house/work. I do love watch pocket carry for my traditionals just for that reason. It’s big enough to carry the knife and not a whole helluva lot else.

I sew a seam up the side of my right rear pocket and carry a large traditional folder there.

Micra rides loose in my right front pocket.

I can't stand pocket clips or holsters.

Back pocket, vertical up against a handkerchief. Or in the thigh pocket of carpenter's jeans.

Zieg

Both for me.

Tonight at a band rehearsal I had a tiny Case Texas Toothpick in my front pocket as I don’t want a pocket clip to scratch the hell out of the back of my bass. I carry a Benchmark Bugout without a clip often like this as well. Often while wearing a suit.

Casual dress and on weekends is where I don’t mind clips sticking out of my pocket.

Mainly use clips - that said my EDC goes sans clip in a belt pouch.
A Delica can ride in a front pocket and be forgotten till used.

Around half of the time, my having a pocket clip visible would be like wearing a flag advertising for trouble in weapons-sensitive environments. I have to do discreet concealed carry a lot of the time, so I reserve one pocket for my knife only. Keys and change go in another pocket in order to minimize knife wear.

I always have a traditional in my pocket. I have however grown used to having a knife with a clip that I can grab and open if I need it while my other hand is holding something else.
Around here people don't pay any attention to a knife much. So a clip isn't a problem. But many days especially things like church ,Dr appointments I only loose carry . Pinnah sent a micra my way that I now carry in my back pocket

During the work week , I carry in the front right pocket alone, or left next to my wallet.
Today I have an old school Puma stiletto in stag, next to my wallet.

I usually carry both at the same time. Folder with a clip for heavy work, traditional in my watch pocket.

I can't stand carrying them loose to the point that they lay weird in my pocket. My dad carried a Buck 110 in such a way for decades until I started making leather sheaths for him. I remember as a kid, he would come home and put all his loose change on the counter with his 110 when he would go get a shower. All of his jeans had a white-worn line across the front of his right front pocket shaped like a 110. It would bug the heck out of me working all day with a heavy brass knife like the 110 smacking me in the thigh as i worked.

I never just carry "loose." For the most part I carry my folders either clipped or in-pocket in a clipped sheath. For the handful of folders I carry otherwise, it is by themselves in the watch pocket.

The only time I ever carry a folder that doesn’t have a pocket clip is if I am also carrying a fixed blade in a belt sheath.

Rarely if ever do I carry a knife with a clip. I carry three smaller traditional folders and a 4 1/2” channellock in my RFP. They ride pretty much upright. If there is a watch pocket, I don’t think about it because knives tend to jump out of it.

Back