Old school carry

Clips have always annoyed me. I carry a medium stockman in my RF pocket normally. For years on and off I have carried a Buck 112 on my belt. That said, back when I was a working cop still in uniform I carried a Spyderco Workman in thw "slapper" pocket on my right thigh. Our uniform pants had western cut pockets. Ever try and get your hands in your front pockets while wearing a Sam Browne?

Loos in my pocket with my keys, in my backpocket next to my wallet, clipped to my pocket, or occasionally in a 'ruler' pocket (or whatever they're called) if my jeans have them.

Every once in a while I I use what Horsewright refers to as a 'buckaroo pouch'. http://www.horsewrightclothing.com/Folding-Knife-Pouch-_p_339.html

I sewed one up myself, looks terrible, works fine. I'll should just buy a 'real' one. I've also thought about making a clip on pouch sized for my SAKs so I can wear them clipped inside my pocket without having to add a clip to my knife.

I've been moving away from pocket clips ever since my wife got a car with a leather steering wheel. Come to think of it, I miss the original molded plastic pocket clip from my first Spyderco.

I do carry clipless knives loose, or in a slip, but the majority are clipped. I do hate the way my RFP is the first worn part of all pants I own.

I guess I’m kind of old fashioned. I’ve never really warmed up to pocket clips. I still carry my knife loose in my pocket with keys, change, etc. I’m always carrying too much other stuff to dedicate a whole pocket to just my knife. It always gives me a little stress, though to throw a new knife in my pocket with keys, change, etc., but once it gets some pocket wear, I seem to enjoy the knife more because I can quit worrying about it getting scratched and dinged up. Does anyone still carry loose in the pocket with other stuff these days, or am I one of the last of that breed?
My knives (except for a couple I carry on belt sheaths) go in my left front pants pockets, whether I have anything else in them or not. That's the knife pocket. For me, anyway.

I can't tell you how many times I hit things with a pocket clip: ding my car when I get in, clip a counter walking by, scratch a leather chair, etc... or have the knife pulled out of my pocket when the pocket clip gets caught in something, like the corner of a jacket or seatbelt.

All of my knives have clips but I just started carrying a CQC-7 without a clip a few weeks ago to try it out. It floats around a bit, G10 is getting scratched up, and is not as quick to get open in my hand, but all things considered I'm loving it so far.

Almost always have a Buck Canoe or a stockman (Case or CS) in my pocket. I also usually have a clip knife on the other side but I too dislike the clips. I would rather carry a Buck 110 or a small fixed blade but that isn't always practical.

It took me a long time, but I’ve moved away from clips.

I used to only carry folders with clips, and couldn’t imagine liking anything else. Then I started carrying traditional folders and small neckers in my pocket, and didn’t go through clip withdrawal. Now I just take the clips off of most of my more modern knives.

I just prefer the symmetry and comfortable grip of not having a clip, plus it’s been nice not snagging and bending one. Keeps everything low key. To each their own :cool::thumbsup:

my (almost here) bladeforum 2018 knife will be carried this way, of course ;) but I might make a good old style leather pouch for it

whatsapp-image-2018-10-15-at-2-31-39-pm-jpeg.1004517

pic shamelessly borrowed from skblades

Last edited:
I always carry a small two blade thin sak with aluminum panels in my pocket and a sak huntsman in a cloth belt scabbard with a Velcro closing flap. It keeps the belt knife really close to the body unlike some of the leather cases I always snagged on something.

I use a combination of things. Sometimes straight in pocket like you. Sometimes in a slip, such as the ones that Mike Latham at Collectorknives sells. And sometimes in a dangling pouch, Dave Ferry at Horsewright usually stocks them. Both of them are contributing dealer to the forum, so you can't go wrong ordering from them.

Here are some examples:
jrPpcsS.jpg

I put things (keys, change, etc) in my right front pocket with my knife; and, because I prefer "larger" modern folders (not ridiculously large, but 3.5 - 4" blade), I carry them clipped. I carry a traditional loose in my left front pocket - generally by itself.

Last edited:
I had a special traditional "work-knife" with some custom grinding/shaping on several blades for my work. Loved that knife. Lost that thing when crawling around on the floor (at work)...not drunk. Used a pocket-clip from then on...

Once you lose an expensive knife because the clip let go of your pocket you'll never do that again. I only use a pocket slip or a belt sheath now. Reaching into a pocket with a knife clipped in it is a pain in the ass too.

For about the last 20 years, my edc pocket knife has been carried in my jeans watch pocket. My favorites have been the Buck 303 cadet, Boker 240 penknife, Victorinox recruit, Victorinox cadet. This keeps the front right hand pocket clear for small handgun. Keys, change is in left front pocket. The small watch pocket knives have been enough to see my through my day in the wilds of suburban America. When I go fishing or woods walking with he better half, a fixed blade is on my belt. I tried a pocket clip knife once.

Last edited:
Victorinox SAK or some variant of Case/Buck/Queen/Canal Street/GEC slipjoint loose in right front pants or jeans pocket is my primary way of carrying a pocket knife. I don't carry keys or change in that pocket, usually earbuds and comb, so they don't get scratched up much.

When I carry a modern folder (ZT, Spyderco, Benchmade) I use the pocket clip. But that is much less often and usually when I have a specific task in mind. They are not what I normally carry on a daily basis.

I always carry a SAK Executive in my RF pocket, and usually a clip folder (a Spyderco or CRK) clipped to the same pocket. The two knives don't really come in contact with each other, and I have no trouble extracting my SAK with the knife clipped there. In my L cargo pocket, I carry either my SAK Spartan or Pioneer along with my wallet.

I'm very picky about what knives I will clip carry. Many clip knives will tear the hell out of pocket material due to extremely rough handle texture and/or crappy pocket clips. Loosening the clip won't always solve the problem.

If I'm going someplace where a visible pocket clip is a problem, I'll just drop a Delica down into my pocket, clip and all, next to my SAK. I keep the clip on it, because it gives the fingers a leverage point when one-hand opening. I don't care if the two knives contact each other or not; I've been carrying that same Executive SAK for 20 years, and the handle scales have been scratched and dinged up since forever, it seems.

Jim

Last edited:
I wear shorts all the time, and clips don't work well for such attire so they ride loose with other stuff.

I don't remove the clips on smaller knives, they work good for a money clip that way.

If I have one knife with me, it will likely be a large 111mm SAK loose in my pocket with keys. I often have two knives and the second knife is usually clipped to my back pocket. Lately it has been a Boker Urban Trapper. The second knife varies from time to time. Sometimes if I have a watch pocket, I'll also have a peanut slip joint in there which I really don't notice.

Been wanting to change my routine somewhat, but I have carried a SAK for 20 years. They will probably bury me with a SAK.

Could I get by with one? Sure. I have no problem with clips but they are not a priority.

I don't like rattle, can't stand junk, change and a knife rattling around in my pocket. Clip for me.

As of the last few years I have moved on to traditional knives or a vic cadet. Always have one in the small watch pocket.

Back