Old school carry

Lately I have been carrying a clip knife in my LFP, that is my knife pocket and usually a few smaller things in it. My pocket material gets worn, so I like a clip that is not too tight without rough edges. I like a knife that's is not too big so it is easy to access, my Manly Wasp lately. This has only been in the last year or so, most of the time it is my Alox SA or something similar like my Opinel #6 in a nylon pouch with Velcro flap, sort of my version of a slip. That way it keeps coins from getting into the knife, and keeps the scratches down. It gets worn with lint or strings so it does not always stay closed tightly.

The buc a roo pocket pouch looks interesting as do the leather slips shown above. I have also tried KSF pocket pouches. I like a small fixed blade with a folder together. Can be a bit heavy but slips nicely in and out of the pocket.

What about this idea? Maybe a designated pocket like on painters pants or cargo pants with side access just below the front pocket, keeping the front pockets clear. A designated spot, sort of like what they did years ago with a pocket in the boot when every young boy was expected to have a small knife, (no offense meant to ladies who also like knives, just a reference to a bygone era).

Last edited:
Only use the clip if im carrying at work or in the woods. Other than that it's mostly situated in my jacketpocket.

But this is more due to legality than personal preference.

I just check the manual.
I'm right handed, so in the right rear pocket is the wallet
left rear pocket is loose bills and paper
rigth front pocket is a clip folder and other objects that you don't need regular access too (eg, remote key fob for push button start vehicle)
left front is everything else (including old school carry (loose) knife, if you must.)

in all seriousness - if you loose carry a framelock or liner lock, I've had a few issues with foreign matter wedgeing in the lock mechanism and causing issues. its not real common, but I have noticed and that is what initially caused me to start using my clips. I have grown to like my clips, and the above is how I do it.

Both - Northwoods or GEC jack knife in a slip cover in the front left pocket and any one of a myriad folders clipped to the right front.

D84EF187-3B25-426F-828F-A6CF013BB80D.jpeg DFC18BAB-C825-41B7-99E8-7DC20644F5D7.jpeg 99817685-442F-4623-9DBE-12CB939E8968.jpeg I carry an EDC in the placket of my shirt. It only weighs 55gm. The knife has been anodized green since the placket picture was taken. I can get at the knife with either hand even while sitting.

Even If I use a sheath or clip I always have my shirt untucked to conceal them. If I couldn't untuck my shirt I would just pocket carry. I don't like to advertise that I carry a knife on me. Certain mechanisms are bad for me based where I live and activities I do. If I tried to EDC a auto or OTF the mechanism would get clogged with sand carrying them loose in a pocket. I want a OTF but ultimately for me is more for novelty then utilitarian purpose.

No pocket clips for this old thing, thank you very much.
I prefer loose in the bottom of my rf pocket.

Back