On Strike

Camillus employees unanamously voted to go on strike today. That is NOT ONE VOTE to accept the offered contract. Thought you might be interested.

i feel for you guys-money is tight up this way -

hope it works out-it would be a shame to see camillus go the way of schrade-

hey knifemaker, what's the word on the line today? we're interested
in how it's progressing.
are there any schrade people out there who have some advice.

I hope you have not voted yourself out of a job. It now might be in the banks hands more than owners. I have heard for a long time that Camillus was in trouble. I would hate to see your fine company be out of business.

My uncle is on the line, and he said he really believes its all moot, the bank is going to take the plant, the hope is that the bank finds a buyer who wants to keep the plant open. Its tough as the works really needs to be severely upgraded, not much has been updated since the current family regime took over. Keep the workers and their families in your prayers, it looks like they're gonna need it...

This was similar to the situation at Schrade, the building was too expensive and it was probably in better condition than Camillus', when the bank takes over its all about the most they can get sale vs auction. The good news is Camillus was smart enough to get rid of one of the egos that kept Schrade from having more options.

The good news is Camillus was smart enough to get rid of one of the egos that kept Schrade from having more options.

TRUE! Actually there was more than one big ego to go out the door and all for the better of Camillus Cutlery. The bad news is too many still remain, IMHO.

The word on the line is we are ready to wait it out. Nobody ever wins or gets ahead because of a strike. Everybody loses. We know that. This situation is very complicated (as are all strikes, I'm sure). A lot of this can't be discussed at this time but may in the future. What I can say is everybody out here wants to go to work for a fair wage. That's it. Thank you all for your comments and support.

I do wish you the best of luck. I'll keep the people in my prayers and I sure hope a compromise exists and can be reached.

Do the workers have a plan to buy Camillus?I hope they do_Others would wait for fire sale only.Jobs will be lost here .

There are no plans for us to buyy the company. On the surface, not a bad idea. In reality, probably a bad investment. Mainly because of the debt we would have to incur. One deal has already fell through because of lack of funding (or so we're told).

Nothing else new at this point. I'll try to keep ya posted.

it's been since wed. with no new word. what's the scoop? ( if it won't tip your hand ) is management still going to work? thurs. fri.? is that info on some other thread?

Mgmt. is still working and we've heard talk that they plan on bringing in scabs (sorry, I meant replacement workers). Other than that, no change - sadly.

In this day and age, one strikes at their own risk [check out airlines, GM, etc. It seems that all unions do today is take your dues and walk away when the company dies]. I'd rather have any paycheck than none.

Unions are only as strong as their members and the voting public.

If voters support right-wing politicians who legislate away the power of the Unions......the people lose their jobs to desperate, unemployed scabs and the fat cat management bastards prosper.

THINK. Read "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. This stuff is not that hard to figure out.

Not hard at all.

Woof! I guess that unions are a point we will have to just agree to disagree on without being disagreeable.

I was hired into an auto manufacturing plant, and by virtue of my position, production engineer, and the fact that I was on a salery, I was considered management. But I assure you that i was neither a fat cat, nor a bastard. Of course, my ex wife would tell you differently, but then she lives in Florida where beaches are quite common. Many of the management positions were filled by people promoted from within. They had tenure and had earned their promotions by virtue of the knowledge, experience, and ability to adapt and innovate. They weren't bastards either. And most of them, as well as myself, took home less money than most of the hourly employees. If we had done the same work on an hourly wage basis, our pay would have been substantially better. My work weeks broached 80 hours on many occasions. By the way, the company closed that plant and several others, then moved the operations to China. It don't matter what name is on your newer car, it has chinese origin parts in it now.

Codger, it doesn't sound like you were management at all. You were what is called a professional worker in more enlightened locales.

If you worked 80-hour weeks.....and got less money than people on the assembly line.....sounds like YOU needed a Union.

Or, more precisely, what is usually called a Professional Association. But.....of course, the fat cat bastards would have fired you if you tried to start one.

No, you didn't have no fat cat bastard job. Just a higher kind of slave job.

Anyhow, the way things are going, Unions can't do what Unions are supposed to do......simply because management usually finds it more cost-effective to eliminate the long-time loyal workers or move the plant.

The point is not even moot anymore......at least as long as we continue to elect politicians that ARE the fat cat bastards or at least buddy-buddy with the fat cat bastards.

We really need (most of us) to change our voting habits.

Maybe in the fall.

Rocinante,

You have turned this thread into your vision of what might be going on, with no facts whatsoever. YOUR view of what is great about all unions, and/or how everything should be handled at Camillus, is pure speculation, and I can assure you, not all of us agree with you. That said, your views are better suited to the political forum, as your politics are showing (on display)...in a manufacturers forum. How about giving it a rest, unless YOU have concrete facts.

Bill

The thread is about a strike. I didn't start the thread, but I did respond to anti-Union statements.

Agreement? Not too many things here that we all agree on, but a forum is a place to put forth your views and respond to others' views.

Politics have been a part of strikes for a long, long time. It used to be that the Democrats fought for the workers and the Republicans tried to exploit and oppress the workers.

Nowadays......I'm not sure that the workers have more than a few real friends.....even in the Democratic Party.

I don't have the perfect answer. But I DO know who the enemy is.

And the enemy doesn't like the facts.

BTW.....telling me to stop writing is not appropriate and has never worked before......do you think it will work this time?

:)

As of this morning, there has still been no dispute resolution. The union workers continue on the picket line, and management continues to do the production.

Codger

Rocinante,
No one told you to stop writing. You certainly have the right to your opinion.
Rather, what I implied, was that your use of derogatory terms, especially towards any person who managed others for a living, was becoming way too one-sided in opinion for a manufacturer's forum discussion. It would be better placed in the Political forum under the Community section, where people can express opinion on anything and everything, and still be considered on topic.

I see from another post you are a long time Veteran...so I thank you for your service.

I was a long time manager of other people, and I found your blanket generalization of management offensive...but, I'll just agree to disagree, rather than enter an internet p****** contest.

Bill
P. S.
Hope you get an answer on your unusually marked knife.

Back