One and Done

I don't want to go on a rant here...

But I am done buying knives. I just don't have the time, finances, or energy to devote to cruising retailers and forums, looking for the next best thing, or filling that next slot in my collection. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying others shouldn't. If that's your thing, then keep on keepin' on. But it's just not me anymore.

What I'm looking for is my "last" knife, so to speak (for EDC use, anyway). I used to the the type of person who had one of something, and used the hell out of it. But somehow I got caught up in the "lifestyle", and found myself having a rotation of items - watches, lights, knives, wallets. And yet I was never really satisfied. I gotta' get back to my roots.

I want this next (and last?) knife to be a "buy it for life" purchase. What I'm thinking is a Para 3 in M390. It may be tricky to snag one, and I may pay a little more than I'd like, but I think it'll be worth it. It's arguably one of the best knives, in one of the best steels, from one of the best companies. The size, ergos, and quality are all what I want. Maybe not the fanciest boutique knife on the market, but I don't care about that anymore.

I've already made up my mind to a certain extent, so I guess I'm really just looking for a thumbs-up to reassure myself. But I'd be interested to hear what others have to say, either in support of the Para 3 or alternative options.

Yeah, whatever floats your boat.

But if your plan is to not buy any more knives I'd be sure to handle some before you make a final decision.

That said, the Para 3 is an excellent EDC knife with great ergos, action and overall design, and of course you can't go wrong with M390. Plan on changing out the factory clip as it's pretty bad IMO.

I think "looking for the one" is how many of us ended up with a collection :)

I once thought that the PM2 would be it. But although a very good folder, I rarely carried it because of some aspects of the design that also apply to the PM3.

If you've never carried and used a PM3, maybe get a used one first to try it. And if you like it then, hunt for that M390 variant.

But how many will you have to buy for that one :)
Thinking I would buy just one really good knife is how I got started in high end knives-now many thousands latter
but good luck-a valid idea just sometimes hard to convert to practice

Will you do the same with "watches, lights and wallets"?
What About multitools? Guns?
Will you sell your collection?

Please, let us know the details and decisions.

Spyderco Delica because it handles 99% of everything I come across on a daily basis from packages to duct work to cutting apples and zip ties.
It's lightweight enough that I can carry it in work pants, board shorts, or gym shorts without feeling weighed down and having one leg of my shorts flop all around from excess weight.

No body really notices it when I use it in public or in a customer's house while fixing their AC.
A few people that really only picture like a Case folder or Buck 110 as a pocket knife didn't quite recognize the Delica as an actual knife to begin with; I'm guessing because it has a funky color and shape that would be associated with some kind of safety cutter type of tool rather than an actual pocket knife.

Everybody's right though, the pursuit of that one is how a lot of folks here end up buying many knives. I've cut way down on knife purchases by limiting myself to certain times of year to buy a knife.
You could limit it to Birthday, Christmas, and one other special event of your choosing. That's three nice knives a year. Set a budget and don't go overboard, (3Xs $1000 a year might be excessive)
more like 3 ~$200 knives a year. Or just buy a new one every four months.

Another method might be to see if you could buy a PM2, PM3, or Delica and set a goal to use it just about all the way up. Use it so much during the day that you have to sharpen it just about everyday.
Use it till there is visibly like almost a fourth- a third of the actual blade gone before you buy another one. If you do this it will take a long time and you're more likely to lose your knife and need another one before you use it that much.

Last and most effective option: Get the heck off'a Blade Forums. It's a great place, but without self-control it can be hard not to buy more knives after scrolling through all the pages of reasons why a knife you don't have is so great. I hope you find a way to just buy yourself a few a year that aren't outta budget and that you truly cherish, use, and enjoy. That way you can join in on the conversation and report your findings. Those that purchase less and use a few good blades more can usually give a more accurate depiction of day-to-day carry and long term use. The more the merrier around here in a lot of ways I think. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Man, I am not sure I could stick to just one knife, and if I did, as politely as I can say it, it definitely wouldn't be a Para 3. That said, if that's the one for you then by all means get one of the runs in a higher end steel and enjoy!

Some might say they bought their last knife about 100 times. I won't ever say that or even think it.

As for you, why not just use one you already have rather than spending your limited financial resources?

I enjoy the quest. The search for the ultimate knife. To me a knives are more than just a tool like a hammer would be to a carpenter, they’re a hobby.

If I were looking for the one, I would buy the top three, or even top five contenders and judge them in hand. Otherwise I believe you’re just wasting your time. No disrespect intended.

Last edited:
1. Buy the Para.
2. Do a search for "twelve step program to stop buying stuff".

Back