One and Done

For a very long time I was sure if I could only keep one it'd be the Para 3 in Maxamet. It was tough finding pocket time for anything else in my collection. Then Rick Hinderer released the 3" skinny sheepfoot liner lock in CPM 20CV. I put a deep carry pocket clip on it and haven't looked back. I'm sure if I was going to be a one knife guy (not much chance of that happening), the Hinderer would be the one knife I'd keep.

I was done with folders. I opened occasional ads, just to see; but I had no interest in purchasing. Then, in a spur of the moment late night click, I bought a knife. It wasn't even because I wanted it... it was because I'd previously waited so long for it. I regretted it as soon as I clicked to finalize the purchase. Even typed a cancellation request, but chose not to send it. I don't know if I'll use it, or even keep it; but I do plan on reducing the number of folding knives around here. I might even part with some fixed blades.
As far as the Para 3 - nice enough knife, but not for me. Kept it for maybe 2 weeks and sold it.
I'm supportive of anybody choosing to recognize that he (she) doesn't need any more knives...but why go for one more? You likely already have a knife that will satisfy your needs. Or do you just need "that one last fix"?

I have lots of knives that could easily be a great "one and only" knife, but I enjoy buying knives so I buy knives.

If I did cut my rotation down to an army of one, it definitely wouldn't be the Para 3 for me, though. I never could warm up to the PM2, and my one try of the 3 wasn't any different.

I was done with folders. I opened occasional ads, just to see; but I had no interest in purchasing. Then, in a spur of the moment late night click, I bought a knife. It wasn't even because I wanted it... it was because I'd previously waited so long for it. I regretted it as soon as I clicked to finalize the purchase. Even typed a cancellation request, but chose not to send it. I don't know if I'll use it, or even keep it; but I do plan on reducing the number of folding knives around here. I might even part with some fixed blades.
As far as the Para 3 - nice enough knife, but not for me. Kept it for maybe 2 weeks and sold it.
I'm supportive of anybody choosing to recognize that he (she) doesn't need any more knives...but why go for one more? You likely already have a knife that will satisfy your needs. Or do you just need "that one last fix"?

I love modern folders. Through everything I've owned, sold, traded, handled, etc, the one for me is the Spyderco Manix 2, specifically the CTS-XHP sprint run.

It's not the most fidget friendly, but it has a very strong, ambidextrous lock, a very utilitarian blade shape, and incredible ergonomics. I can open and close it even with heavy winter gloves on.

lBw5MTW.jpg

I was not a big fan of the PM2, so I doubt I'd like the 3. That said, it's really hard to go wrong with a Spyderco. Especially if you stick to their tried and true designs.

Last edited:
I recommend a SAK "Midnight Manager". It is more versatile than most of the knives already mentioned and it is relatively cheap.

Para 3 as your last knife?
your on death row and the jailer hands you a "final" meal menu and you scan down to the bottom of the sheet
and with a measure of pride ,using your index finger you point several times to the tater tots and beanie weinnies combo???? come on brother you can do better than that.

I don't want to go on a rant here...

But I am done buying knives. I just don't have the time, finances, or energy to devote to cruising retailers and forums, looking for the next best thing, or filling that next slot in my collection. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying others shouldn't. If that's your thing, then keep on keepin' on. But it's just not me anymore.

What I'm looking for is my "last" knife, so to speak (for EDC use, anyway). I used to the the type of person who had one of something, and used the hell out of it. But somehow I got caught up in the "lifestyle", and found myself having a rotation of items - watches, lights, knives, wallets. And yet I was never really satisfied. I gotta' get back to my roots.

I want this next (and last?) knife to be a "buy it for life" purchase. What I'm thinking is a Para 3 in M390. It may be tricky to snag one, and I may pay a little more than I'd like, but I think it'll be worth it. It's arguably one of the best knives, in one of the best steels, from one of the best companies. The size, ergos, and quality are all what I want. Maybe not the fanciest boutique knife on the market, but I don't care about that anymore.

I've already made up my mind to a certain extent, so I guess I'm really just looking for a thumbs-up to reassure myself. But I'd be interested to hear what others have to say, either in support of the Para 3 or alternative options.

If you’re demanding M390 when any of the PM3 blade steels would do the job, you’re still one of us... :)

For my own personal taste, I'd go Manix 2 all the way! Under this scenario it's a 1 and done EDC. Sure more expensive stuff might look nicer to some, but the ergos and size would do pretty much anything I need to do.

When I was a kid all I ever knew were the 1-3 blade jack knives. And a sheath knife for hunting. For a long time in my 20s-30s I carried either a SAK Tinker or Buck 110 on the belt. In the last 20 years I’ve tried a few other brands like Benchmade, CS, more Bucks, etc but no Spyderco. Recently tried a PM2 and PM3 and they are great all around knives (really like the S35VN) except they are not ambidextrous. So I am now going to try a couple of back locks and maybe a Manix. Can’t imagine having only one folder but I believe I could be fine with maybe 3 such as a SAK Camper, large ambi folder like Endura or Manix and a smaller ambi folder like a Delica or Salt. Most brands have a good sturdy all around knife in the 3”-3.5” that could handle most general cutting and carving tasks.

Beyond that it is just discovery and fun. But if necessary I could get by with one folder such as the Manix (just going by blade shape and size and ambi lock type).

I've had maybe 300 folders over the last ten yrs, but am pruning down to very few. But, what is the best? I don't have a grail, although my favorite folder has lately been a $170 knife, even though I have quite a few that cost more than double that price.
Take my word for it, sir. There is no "just one" that lasts more than a week.

Firstly; The vast majority of pocket knives out there will do the vast majority of things you need done. If you we were rational people, we'd all buy a knife like the Ontario Rat and then replace it every ten years. We aren't here to be practical. If we were we wouldn't have a massive forum like this.

Secondly; There is no best knife. While most knives will do most knifey things, a thin slicing knife is great when you're on a picnic with a girl, while a cold steel is great when you're batoning through the skulls of water buffalo.

Conclusion; You'll be back. That doesn't mean this hobby has to destroy all your time and money. Enjoy the knife as a tool, and enjoy it as hobby! Good luck on finding 'the one' though. My suggestion would be PM2 or a Cold Steel recon.

My one and done journey lead to a dozen or more knives before I found the right one for me. That last part is the most important. For me. It's a subjective thing. There is no right answer for everyone.

My one and done.
LhcrLNf.jpg

If the choice were mine, I think the knife that would best suit me 90% of the time would be the Sypderco Native 5 Salt. I would have to customize it with different scales though, which kind of defeats the point of this thread...

Having said that, IMO there is no 'perfect' knife for everything...too many different knife tasks out there for that.

I'm sorta in a similar place, maybe a little bit farther...I wouldn't say I'm done per se, but I've slowed waaayyy down...over the past few years I've gone through the 'Big 3' folders (CRK, Hinderer, Strider) and they were nice, but didn't feel like I'd pulled Excalibur from the stone...most have come and gone... In fact, there several I keep telling myself I need to purge...I don't think I've actually purchased a blade in 6+ months.

As it sits now, I've got a few in my main rotation depending on my needs/use for the day...mainly personal time vs. work. And none are in 'high end' range (CRK, XM18). But they entirely suit my needs.

So when something really slick comes along, or a really nice deal pops up, I might snag it...but otherwise, I'm pretty content.

To the OP, I'd likely concur with what some others said...if it were going to be my last blade, I'd likely go pretty high end...

Boss

The notion of "one and done" (sometimes they had 2 oer 3 MAXIMUM) was our grandfathers and fathers concept (who weren´t collectors, off course). Maybe it´s a nice idea to maintain the stuff uncomplicated.

Back