One essential piece of gear

I have to say that my essential tool is my watch. I could not survive without one on day to day life.

Ok, I probably should have been a little more specific. Guns, phones, and knives are not what I’m looking for. I’m looking items you carry that aren’t these.

Attachments

• 1746D303-ED0F-4D8E-84E4-25C2D23FD9BD.jpeg
    1746D303-ED0F-4D8E-84E4-25C2D23FD9BD.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2
My normal EDC loadout is: Springfield EMP w/extra mag, Shirogorov F95, Olight S1R Baton, Oris Aquis, Keys(Belroy Key holder) and Serman wallet with pen. This kit works for me and I've been carrying the same stuff for 5 years except the F95 as I just got that a couple of weeks ago....

Ooops, just saw the post above from BladeOwner72, so the ONE item outside of guns phones and knives is my watch.

Without a doubt my most essential item other than my knife is my flashlight. I usually have a microstream usb in pocket and a protac dual fuel in my edc organizer and a little Larry cob work light. At my work it’s a required hazlo dualie. My next essential item would be my LM Wave multi tool.

A flashlight is still #2 and definitely the most used of everything I carry.

Since December it has been this massdrop / lumintop AAA in brass.
20221004_105956.jpg
This has been my favorite of any flashlight I've had in my pocket to date.
I love the size, the flush steel tail switch, and the nitchia LED is great.
I just love the tone of light it puts out, it's plenty bright enough, and it's very fuel efficient if you will, I get about a month out of one AAA battery.

If there's one thing I'd change about it if I could, it would be to eliminate the medium mode.
I'd like it to just have low and high, with high as the default.

It's been in my pocket every single day for close to a year now and has just been great in that time.

20220128_171537.jpg
The light just has such a pleasant warm tone to it, like an old incandescent flashlight but not dim and full of artifacts.

Towel. And I see that I'm not the only stuck intergalactic hitchhiker here. But in reality, it's a light. Fenix E-05 on my keys, E-30R rides with my leatherman, I recently got a E-03R to go in my "in-flight" bag. have to leave everything behind and I'll probably keep a flashlight with me. There are a lot more bits of gear, but I can adapt or find, if I can see.

I seldom carry my cell phone. For me, Fenix E01, Fisher Space Pen, and a handkerchief are always in my pocket.

Ok so this is bothersome on so many levels. 1 piece of gear covers almost no situations for me. 1 piece would have to be a flashlight. Now the first problem is I carry 2.

I should back up a step. I'm a mechanic by trade and I live in Alaska. (Pick a region of the world and they will all have a set of conditions to overcome.) I commute 30 miles to work. I mainly work out of a shop but without notice my day may take me 40-150 miles away again without notice. This can be problematic at times. So we will skip the gear carried in my small duffel about the size of a gym bag.

20221008_122316.jpg

My required to leave the house items consist of:
- Matriarch 2 and either the Claymore or Osborne
(Recently changed from the Kershaw SO82BLk) - Mini tac or izula in a horizontal 10 o'clock
position.
- Pen, Benchmade longhand with rite in the rain
insert. (Won't fade when filling out DOT
inspection sticker)
- Sog powergrip multi tool.
- Buds + (I leave my phone on my toolbox when
working from a creeper)
In my coat I carry a pair of accessory loops that always contain:
- Small bottle of Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and Benadryl
- Whistle
- Lighter (no I don't smoke. You should always be
able to make fire.)
- Hair tie and 2 bobbypins may seem silly but it's
amazing how much they can improve a
situation if you find the women in need of such
an item. Strangers also for that matter. I have
saved more than one other persons day when
their child was having a hair in eyes meltdown.
- Deck of maxpedition playing cards. ( It keeps
the family off devices and together if we go out
to a meal or end up somewhere with time to kill

Other items added to loops as needed for the conditions or family members joining the outing.
- Sharpie
- Nail clippers (flush cut string, ties, ect)
- Micro Leatherman (scissors, nail file, ect)
- Flashlight
- Hand Sanitizer (I normally leave in my truck bag and grab if heading into places that need it.)

This may seem strange, overkill, or downright stupid to alot of people and frankly at times it is but it is also not uncommon to go for a drive on a pretty day and make coffee on the side of the road somewhere a couple hours from home. (Yes my truck bag makes coffee anywhere... I like coffee) the Lt Wright with fire steel leaves the house with me as well. I try and stay practiced up on fire making with it. I've made more than a few spur of the moment fires.

I feel I could really rabbit hole this into a gear dump and what sidearm do you take with you so I will stop here and apologize for going so far off topic. Day to day life can change so drastically between needs, environment, and comfort.

I find most situations in life do not start while you are at home with time to pack.

175925800.jpg

Whew - Just got through this thread!

Some good stuff in there.

Like many of you, I always have a knife, pistol, phone, flashlight, watch, and wallet on my body every day (among other things). Usually in that order of priority on the rare occasion I leave some of that at home (walking to the mailbox for instance I’ll just have a knife in my pocket).

I saw at least one mention of the Photon flashlight and it’s not very bright but it’s flat and tiny. I’ve worn one (Photon Freedom Covert) on a ball-chain around my neck for probably a decade now and it’s my most used piece of gear besides my phone and watch.
0CB3B33B-425B-4975-99D7-10E90A04CA09.jpeg
Also something I didn’t see mentioned above that I carry every day in my wallet is about 2’ of duct tape, folded up on itself. It can be used for emergency wound closure, tinder, to repair clothing, etc., and in theory it could even help with shelter building…

Last edited:
Whew - Just got through this thread!

Some good stuff in there.

Like many of you, I always have a knife, pistol, phone, flashlight, watch, and wallet on my body every day (among other things). Usually in that order of priority on the rare occasion I leave some of that at home (walking to the mailbox for instance I’ll just have a knife in my pocket).

I saw at least one mention of the Photon flashlight and it’s not very bright but it’s flat and tiny. I’ve worn one (Photon Freedom Covert) on a ball-chain around my neck for probably a decade now and it’s my most used piece of gear besides my phone and watch.
View attachment 1974325
Also something I didn’t see mentioned above that I carry every day in my wallet is about 2’ of duct tape, folded up on itself. It can be used for emergency wound closure, tinder, to repair clothing, etc., and in theory it could even help with shelter building…
I keep a flat section of duct tape in my out of the house bag. I think it's 3 or 5 yards, I'd have to go pull it out to be sure. Also carry a bicycle tire patch kit. Great for rubber boots and such.

At least one flashlight is part of my EDC. Has been for many years and has served me well. I also carry a spare battery.

Duct tape keychain. Gearward. Most handy EDC piece of gear I own.
I though you were joking , but no ...https://gearward.com/products/keychain-duct-tape

My keychain is maxed out , but maybe could wrap a 2XAAA or similar sized flashlight or even a pen or pencil etc . :cool:

Might get messy in hot weather carry ?

Last edited:
I've wrapped a bic lighter with electrical tape before. Easy way to keep some on have.

I also just buy the flat duct tape as needed it's a couple bucks for a 5 yard flat sealed piece

Back