One essential piece of gear

You know, this thread really got me thinking; what is the one thing that I never, ever , EVER leave the house without. What is the one piece of truly essential gear that ALWAYS finds its way into my pocket before any adventure. I thought and I thought. I went back and looked at old pictures of my daily carry over the years and the one item that is always in the picture is my wallet. I realized that the one thing I am never without, regardless of whatever else I'm carrying that day is my wallet. I don't carry a lot in it; drivers license, local concealed weapons license (I refuse to call it a "permit" - the government does not permit me the right to exercise what the Constitution has made lawful), my debit card, a credit card, and some cash - I try to carry at least $25 in smaller bills for emergencies only (check out this video - I may be rethinking how much I carry
). My wallet is nothing flashy, a simple bifold that my wife bought it for me about ten years ago (I think she felt bad because she had just spent a TON on purses) at a Coach Outlet store. It has been the toughest wallet I've ever carried and it gets carried every day. all day. If Im wearing clothes my wallet is with me. My knives, tools, flashlights and guns may change daily, but the one constant is, was, and probably forever be, my wallet.
KHXq09r.jpg

For me, a small flashlight as well. I used to carry Streamlites, then switched over to a Fenix E01, but upgraded it slightly to a Fenix 3T EOS.

I would say a flashlight, but if you have a phone then you already have a flashlight by default. We all have phones and we all take them everywhere with us, so we all already have a flashlight.

Aside from that, I mean it really depends on where you're at... but I would have to say that a pair of pliers is essential no matter what. I always have at least either a cobra XS, Leatherman Squirt, or a Leatherman Style PS with me.

If you're not in an urban environment then I would strongly urge you to carry some type of fire starting capability. Starting a fire is not as easy as you'd think! It can actually be quite difficult, and the things that a fire provides you with are absolutely essential. A fire is a means to stay warm, sterilize water, keep you safe from wild animals, and help you accomplish other minor tasks such as hardening spear tips, sterilizing other tools, or just washing your hands. Did you know that ashes from a fire can be used as an effective rudimentary hand soap? Yes, it's actually true! It really works.

At the very least you should be carrying a Bic lighter with you at all times. You can also wrap the Bic with duct tape. Duct tape has a million uses and it can also be used as tinder because the glue burns well.

I would say a flashlight, but if you have a phone then you already have a flashlight by default. We all have phones and we all take them everywhere with us, so we all already have a flashlight.
That arguement has already been raised and answered in this post.

Flashlight without question. Which is a question of time and place. At home is a little peak eiger. At work its a Malkoff 16650 E2S. In the woods Malkoff wildcat. Out and about with the wife Malkoff Bodyguard.

My wallet. Leather. None of that newfangled minimalist nonsense. Mine's made by Sonnenleder.

I cant leave my home without my wallet, my driving licence is in there!

Always have a knife and flashlight, okluma and normally crk knife… feel naked without them

Always carry a knife. Use it every day. Don’t always carry my wallet around unless I am leaving the home place. I Live in the sticks. Prefer a standard flashlight over the cellphone one and use one daily, usually multiple times a day. Living out where predators are plentiful and having a small dog, I light the dark when taking it him to do his business. Never carry a lighter unless I am hiking in a place where the weather could be or could change to put me in jeopardy. Now, before you start, this is something that many of you would not leave the house without and that’s for you to decide, not me, but I’m in my mid 60’s and have NEVER found myself in a situation where lighting a fire was anything but for fun or for cooking in a camp situation so carrying a lighter would be an imaginary need for me. If I were carrying any of my packs, they have a fire kit in them but that would be when I was “going for a hike” be it intentional or due to unforeseen circumstances that most certainly over a lifetime have occurred where I find myself afoot but never yet happened where I would NEED a fire.

Back