One-Of-A-Kind knives!

Comeuppance

Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary
I don't mean "rare" knives, I mean truly unique and one of a kind. There isn't a single one out there like it! It could be a custom knife, a knife with unique characteristics, or even just a modified production knife! I only have this one that I customized, but it is definitely very much my own, and definitely unique!

vNUQO78.jpg

01XWCni.jpg

ZYEye72.jpg

^^^ That's a beauty, my friend!

Here's one of mine - a Clyde Fisher "Fish Knife" prototype. My Great Uncle, Dale Edwards, was a knifemaker and proprietor of Indian Ridge Traders Knife Co (IRT). We found the knife after he died and my father contacted Mr. Fisher about it. It turns out that Dale contacted several makers and had each one make a one-off using this pattern. This was the only one he kept apparently:

Sorry about the crappy pics - they're from years ago and it's all I have:

Last edited:
^^^ I should add that my Great Uncle Dale also made a prototype of the same pattern - and only one that we are aware of:

But he eventually had a third party - J. Nowill & Sons of Sheffield, England - produce the blades for his IRT brand:

He also sold blanks for guys to finish themselves. And I still have some of the blanks. Maybe it's time for a one-off project?

Last edited:
^^ That is ridiculously cool. I love legacy projects that are just waiting to be picked up and completed by the next in line. Thank you so much for sharing that!

^^ You're welcome, brother! Let's see if anyone else has one-of-a-kind blades... They always tend to have a story, it seems.

Before:
NKcVqgu.jpg

After (no writing!)
SUMhiB1.jpg

The custom version won most innovative design in 2012 Blade Show, and when I first saw that, I could see why. This has been the only knife that was a must-have at all costs.
Got the knife (Semi-custom version, since I like the flat polished sides over fluted), gawked at it like an idiot for a clean 30 minutes, and proceeded on with my day. Of course, having 2 blades, I had to learn how to open both at the same time with one hand, and 2 week later with a nice, bruised pinky, it worked. Too fun to play with.

The writing on the blades was slightly annoying though, so I got it mirror polished to make it more unique and to check my teeth every morning. When putting the blades back, the tiny ball bearings fell out, so I used hair gel to keep them in place (ended up losing 4, 1 per side). Overall, to this day, I have never seen any knife that I would rather have. It is no safe queen though (threw away the display box as soon as it arrived), I use it for general cutting of mainly plastic packages.

I enjoy carrying around this silver and blue oversized Batarang, too fun to use and show people. Everyone I've shown it to always gawks at it, or looks at it questioningly, before opening it and tentatively handing it back and stating they don't know how to close it.

Last edited:
I love one-of-a-kinds. Currently, the best I can afford are customized production knives. I am fully planning on moving into full customs as soon as the budget allows. I'll upload whatever I have on my computer.

This is a Spydie Endura HAP40 with rag micarta scales:

IMG_20170925_164900.jpg

ZT0055 with a major regrind and an aftermarket clip:

IMG_20180702_192028.jpg

I also have another customized Spydie I'll post later.

This one's likely unique as it's an older and somewhat rare Shirogorov--the Tabargan--in a more modern steel--M390. It's funny seeing this revitalized older thread that includes a post from BluegrassBrian BluegrassBrian as I bought the knife from him a couple years ago. Brian had these beautiful marbled CF scales and backspacer made for the knife by SheperdCC (likely during one of his non-meltdown periods). I enjoyed having this one and the fact that it was one-of-a-kind, but ultimately that meant that I didn't want to risk scuffing it up. I fondled and admired it for a couple years, sold it last spring, and put the money toward a Shiro 3 Bears F95R that I carry and use.

iuMamTu.jpg

Keyha8I.jpg

UlyT9hA.jpg

Back