One steel for the rest of your life. Which one and why?

One can't really narrow it down to just one.

Folders and small to Med Fixed Blades (To 6") - CPM S35VN - Nice Middle of the road steel, good all around performer.

For the rest likely CPM 4V.

I'd be fine with 420HC or 1075, really. Both can be used to make small knives with acceptable hardness but can also be used in larger knives and choppers.

I've had really good results with M390. I'd be as happy as a clam if all my folding knives came with it. I can touch up the edge without too much trouble and it definitely beats S30V in just about every way.

For a carbon steel I'd go with 5160. It's a great "beater" steel. 5160 would be used as my large fixed blade/machete/sword/axe steel.

For me, M390 for folders, and probably 3V in fixed, or hell, just decently done 1095, really.

Either VG-10 or S30V......
Probably VG-10.
Sharpens fast and holds it for a respectable time.

Stuff that's actually available? 3V for PM steel and and W2 for cast steel. If I had my own steel plant, perhap 1.2442 and possibly CFV because they work well for anything from fine slicers to choppers. I say possibly for CFV only because i haven't made a kitchen knife from it.....yet. The one that I tried cracked in the quench. W2 and 1.2442 are probably the closest to "one steel that does everything" that I have worked with only because I have also never attempted to make a kitchen knife from 3V. ;)

I want to say 3V because my Guardian 3 is small enough to be a folder but I have used it for tasks of a 6" blade.

So 3V for me

s110v for folders. s90v is very close. Frankly can't usually tell the difference between s110v and some m390 - just different manufacturer/models.
For fixed - loving the A11 class - k390 and 10v - for my uses.

Elmax. it's very versatile, tough for a stainless, and won't rust in a hurry no matter what environment you use it in. The edge holding is very good, while retaining the toughness and sharpen-ability that I value. Its useful for EDC, outdoors, fishing, wherever.

I can't believe how many different types of steel are favorites! This is why I'm broke lol. Seriously though what a great time to get into knives like I have. I'm a fan of a lot of different types and my favorite changes around every six months

M4

I could care less about extreme stainless properties and my attempts to patina it by letting fresh tomato juice from slicing them and beef juice from eating sit on the blade for an hour or more has hardly changed the finish of the blade at all so . . . thasssss stainless enough for me (I love this tool steel stuff).

Why ? It freekin' holds an edge the way I envision a knife should hold an edge.
When sharpening it hardly shows a bur and the bur is easy to hone off.
I like the slight "stain" that the blade gets from use. ( I live in the high desert of Colorado (7000 ft El.) so for the most part it is mighty dry here).
I like M4 because it was used to win world cutting competitions; kind of like owning a Ferrari; can get off on the pedigree.

It may sound mad but I like the way the steel feels when sharp and cutting and I like the way the steel feels while sharpening it. All in my head some may say; how could anyone feel the difference between steel just by cutting stuff ? ? ? I swear . . . I like the way it feels . . . feels similar to paperwhite plain high carbon only . . . ooohhhlala . . . maybe a little more "robust" (of the paperwhite that I have) who knows maybe a masterfully forged and ground paperwhite could be EVEN BETTER.

M4 . . . better than this kid deserves. :eek:

Too hard to sharpen ?
I don't need easy to sharpen and I seem to do fine with it so :thumbup:

Back