Opinel number 8

I don't believe in having an empty mag pouch, unless it is one not attached to a holster. ;) I do use mag pouches (doubles with alice clips) for many things, an opinel 8 or 10 would be a nice addition. :thumbsup:

I don't believe in having an empty mag pouch, unless it is one not attached to a holster. ;) I do use mag pouches (doubles with alice clips) for many things, an opinel 8 or 10 would be a nice addition. :thumbsup:
I agree and thats where im at really, lemme explain: I've been using the neoprene belly band type holster lately and any number of mag pouches velcro on to it. It also has a pocket. It's so freaking comfy and cheap it's ridiculous. I usually wear it shoulder holster style and so far it fits everything from a j-22 to a hi-power. My other rigs are collecting dust now thanks to that thing.

I bought my wife an expensive #8 in ebony (IIRC) with her name engraved on the blade. She likes it; I don't. I realize that everybody else loves them...and that's fine.

I have a stainless #8 in my pocket as I type this. I fully convex mine to a zero edge when they're new, and then all that is ever necessary to maintain that edge is a strop (unless I let it get too dull).

A couple of days ago, I had stacks of 8 strops (per stack) that I was cutting to length. Each is two layers of 7+ ounce leather (That's about 2" of solid leather) and my Opinel just slid thru them with ease, silky smooth and no hesitation. I know of no other blade that has the combination of a convex edge and thin blade stock that would do that. All with a $12 knife....

Needless to say, I love my Opinels!

Side note to the poster who wants to use one for self defense: Most knife fights are won or lost at the moment of deployment - we're talking a half second or so. While you are fiddling around with an Opinel trying to open it up, your opponent is going to slice you up like a Thanksgiving turkey with a Karambit (not trying to offend you or hurt your feelings - just trying to help you stay alive)....

The #8 Garden version in Inox steel - it rides in my pocket as the knife I let folks use when I don't want to lend out the edc on my hip. Spear point is quit handy, for me at least.

I bought it thinking it would be a beater, but it really does perform well and now, I value it has a great cutting tool for a great price. Hard to beat what you get for $16.

The Inox sharpens well, even for me as I am not so proficient with sharpening. I had to freshen the edge out of the package, but since then, have readily maintained it on a green loaded strop, or occasionally, a fine ceramic stone.

Lately, I have thought about picking up a set of paring knives from them - the set with multi colored handles, to use in the field, around the home and kitchen, and to practice sharpening with. Inexpensive for 4 knives (no sheaths of course) and you can see them on DLT trading for about $33, but likely great performers and in a fixed blade configuration which I personally prefer.

Just got a #8 carbone in today with an alpine sheath in a wooden gift box for 25 bux or so. Fantastic little blade. I'm hooked. It has the new lock and it's solid.

I love my Opinel #8 and the other sizes I got!

I keep mine sharp with some 400 grit wet dry sandpaper!

I first encountered Opinel as a kid in the 70's when my friend's French mother was skinning rabbits in the yard. I really liked the knife but I never got one because they didn't have them at the local hardware store. This past year I recalled that scene from my childhood and decided to see if I could get one. Now I have a No. 08, No. 10 (both Carbone) and a No. 12 Inox.
I carry the No. 08 with me everywhere and put it through some fairly rough treatment. The blade freshens up to a bitter edge on my Arkansas stones with just a couple of swipes. I have carved mallets made of dried hickory with my 10 and 12 and they've held up admirably.
I have a habit of taking a seat in the evening and rubbing down whatever knife I've been carrying that day with oil. I just do that whether I've been carrying my expensive (to me) Dokka or my cheap-as-chips Opinels. I find this maintenance is vital for carbon steel blades. For the Opinels, I have been using Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner on the steel and the wood, with special attention paid to getting the stuff in the pivot. Haven't had any trouble with water getting in there and swelling the wood, causing the blade to bind or any rust on the blades.

I love mine, and I use a drop of oil on the blade tang, plus I melted wax into the pivot. Works great

s929Dp

Hi all, new member here.
I have 3 of the Opinel #8s. The Inox / olivewood is my go-to for slicing veggies, excellent for super thin cutting. The other 2 are basic carbon models that I got to play with, primarily for creating a one-of-a-kind design using the vinegar and mustard technique.
Google info is available.
In about 30 minutes you can get some cool results!
s929Dp

Last edited:
In 81, when I worked renovating a 12 century farmhouse in rural Brittany France, everybody had an Opinel; but the size was a #12
And this #12is what I was gifted when I finished the work I was doing
I personally prefer the #7 as a more useful size, as it is the same blade length on many slipjoints

That's interesting to know. I have a 12 (Inox) and it's a lotta knife! But it is a good size for woodworking and I use mine for carving large stuff. For those who are interested in a size comparison, here are a 12, 8 and 7 side by side. I think you'd need pretty big paws for that 12 to feel small. The only blade I have that is larger is my Tramontina 18" machete.
IMG-5320.jpg

Back