Opinions on SILKY Saws?

A coworker told me Silky made the BEST saws around. Would you consider this to be true? I plan to do bushcraft and I purchased the Silky Saw Bigboy Folding Saw Medium Tooth 14.2 inch.

It seems okay, although I haven't yet used it. I'm a little concerned with the overall sturdiness of the blade itself. I'd like to have a saw that will NOT fail me for a very long time, one that cuts through wood like a laser. Do you think the Silky I purchased will leave me feeling mighty satisfied? Or should I consider purchasing something better? (is that possible?) Again, from what I gathered, Silky makes the best saws, is that still true? Or has another brand usurped this company from the throne?

I also consider them to be the best folding saw available. However, you've got to keep something in mind - they are a Japanese saw. This means that they cut on the pull stroke, not the push stroke. As long as you are not shoving them forward with a lot of force, you should be fine - just use a light amount of pressure on the pull and none on the push - do that and it's going to do a fine job for you. (And regardless of who makes the saw, I always have a spare blade or two just in case).

Agreed with everyone above. Like everything else - if you want it to cut like a laser you have to expect it to be more fragile because it’ll be thinner if nothing else. I’ve bent one too but love the brand. F-180 is the cheapest, lightest, and my favorite.

Silkys are the bomb, but there is a learning curve to using them. Sven saws are the bomb and do not require a learning curve to use them. I have both and not sure which one I like the best. I like the foldability of the Silky, but like the durability of the Sven.

Silkys are the bomb, but there is a learning curve to using them. Sven saws are the bomb and do not require a learning curve to use them. I have both and not sure which one I like the best. I like the foldability of the Silky, but like the durability of the Sven.
I considered investing in a couple of Silky saws, but for my occasional use, I get by with a couple of Corona saws, (14" and 18").

My only folding saws are the old Bahco Laplander and a small Opinel.

I considered investing in a couple of Silky saws, but for my occasional use, I get by with a couple of Corona saws, (14" and 18").

My only folding saws are the old Bahco Laplander and a small Opinel.

Silky is a step above any other folding saw I've ever used. I've used the Corona and Fiskars and to me, the Silky is a step above those.

Silky is a step above any other folding saw I've ever used. I've used the Corona and Fiskars and to me, the Silky is a step above those.
Oh, no question about that. I'd take a Silky any day over those. I just couldn't justify the expense for my occasional use. (Though I'm always on the cusp.)

Oh, no question about that. I'd take a Silky any day over those. I just couldn't justify the expense for my occasional use. (Though I'm always on the cusp.)

I can send you my Big Boy to try out if ya like. I did a review comparing the Silky Big Boy to the Sven a long time ago. I'll see if I can't find those pics somewhere in my archives.

I was seriously considering the Silky Katanaboy 500. LOL.

No need, Jonny. I've got my 80v Greenworks 18" Chainsaw for jobs requiring more oomph than I feel like giving by hand. I don't do a ton of sawing.

Closed
P1080432_zps82e22554.jpg

Open
P1080433_zps34c32632.jpg

Undercut notch setting
P1080431_zpsc4eb5e12.jpg

Sven vs Silky
P1080420_zps86b6e2a8.jpg

Silky blade has more TPI than the Sven blade
P1080422_zps0bd3361f.jpg

Siky blade is also very flexible
P1080430_zpsb75a8bc9.jpg

Saws through hardwood like butter
P1080428_zpsef24acc6.jpg

Very fine saw dust
P1080429_zps18979340.jpg

Sven cuts just as fast, in both the pull AND the push stroke.
P1080425_zpsd58a022a.jpg

I think the body of evidence supports the fact that Silky saws are one of if not the fastest cutting saws on the market. The same collective experience suggests that proper technique is essential for a positive experience, so all without experience should heed the comments that they cut only on the pull stroke/don't apply downward force when pushing forward.

I have a cheap made in China saw that also cuts on the pull and it's a very fast cutter. I've also come close to breaking it by not being careful on the push/recovery, so I think my practice with it will serve well when I eventually upgrade to Silky.

I like Silky saws and for that type of saw I think they are great, but for my uses I prefer the Agawa Canyon Boreal Saws. They are a folding bow saw and cut on push and pull strokes. They now come in 3 sizes 15, 21, and 24.

I like Silky saws and for that type of saw I think they are great, but for my uses I prefer the Agawa Canyon Boreal Saws. They are a folding bow saw and cut on push and pull strokes. They now come in 3 sizes 15, 21, and 24.

I kinda feel that way towards my Sven. You don't have to be careful with it at all and it will hold up. The folding action of the Silky is nice, but the breakdown of the Sven ain't bad.

FYI - the F-180 (my favorite) goes for around $35…

FYI - the F-180 (my favorite) goes for around $35…
Thanks.

My interest in Silky saws is limited to the large sizes that can do chainsaw type work on downed trees on my property. I've got all I need for limbing and such.

I like manual tools and it's nice to have some backup to the powered tools for those instances when the charger won't be available. (I'm not much on gas powered gear.)

BEST saws around
I have only one . A Hayate telescoping pole saw . :cool:

Expensive but well made in Japan . Worth it for my use .

Best ? That all depends on what you need and how you use it .

As others have said above , these are thin blades and used only to pull cut .

You have to learn to use them properly , for best results and to avoid damage to the tool .

Will they beat a chainsaw ? Nope !

But for a lightweight , human powered saw , they cut with impressive ease and speed . :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks.

My interest in Silky saws is limited to the large sizes that can do chainsaw type work on downed trees on my property. I've got all I need for limbing and such.

I like manual tools and it's nice to have some backup to the powered tools for those instances when the charger won't be available. (I'm not much on gas powered gear.)
Ah - fair enough.

I waited for years before buying a Katana Boy but when I saw it for $200 shipped from Jeff Bezoar I grabbed it. Has gone through some pretty big downed trees. Not chainsaw fast but certainly chainsaw capable if you have some time. Plus no gas/oil/chaps/helmet/noise. :)

Back