Opinions on the Victorinox Pioneer Swiss Army Knife.

Hello, i'm looking for opinions on the Victorinox Pioneer Swiss Army Knife. The reason that i am seeking opinions on this specific Model of Swiss Army Knife is because i am thinking about purchasing one but before i do i would like some opinions on it.

It's one of the best IMO. It has everything you need, nothing you don't: thicker blade than the plastic-scaled SAKs, can opener, bottle opener, big/small screwdrivers, and a nice awl. One of the most compact but still very useful models.

I think Hayes31 brought the thing on position. The only thing I could add - the Alox scales are great; extremely durable and really lightweight. The Pioneer is a real classic. It´s like one of the traditional Scout Knives (BSA) in the US.

You should just think about, if you really need the awl and the canopener... there are other Alox versions out there without those tools. Just to think twice for you. BUT - don´t misunderstand me - the Pioneer Alox is one of the very best every made SAK.

It's one of the best IMO. It has everything you need, nothing you don't: thicker blade than the plastic-scaled SAKs, can opener, bottle opener, big/small screwdrivers, and a nice awl. One of the most compact but still very useful models.

+100

I've carried a Pioneer for most of 15 years. I've EDC'ed some other SAKs for short periods, but always come back to the Pioneer. There is one in my pocket right now.

Its awesome. Buy 3.

Last edited:
It's a great knife, and it's been around for a long time (for a reason).

The Pioneer was the 2nd SAK that I ever bought, 1st being the Tinker. I have many more today than back then (1991).

It had just the cross, not the shield and cross of newer ones. I can't believe I lost it :mad:. I eventually got a Blue Alox Farmer just a couple of years ago, though.

Soooo, aside from it being one of the best built pocket knives in the world, and one of the most versatile pocket knives in the world, and will last you the rest of your life with a little care, what do you want to know?

:D:D

Carl.

Vic Alox Pioneer is my FAVORITE Swiss Army Knife. Love it to pieces, has all of the tools I want with me for an average day in my life, I do supplement it with a Vic Classic on the keys so I also have scissors tweezers and toothpick on me without having to pick a larger SAK that has those as well. Pioneer is awesome. As someone said before, buy 3.

IMG_8848.jpg

IMG_8846.jpg

IMG_9005.jpg

Here it is in a typical pocket dump for me:
IMG_8865.jpg

I like the Pioneer for its simplicity yet functional attributes. I especially like the formal awl.

Agreed, once you've used the in line awl on the Alox models trying to use the half stop ones on the cellidor models is like a joke.

No question, the alox in line awl is the berries, but we who struggle by day and curse the dark with that Tinker spawned T-shaped devil's compromise, soothe our tortured souls with the additional small blade, phillips driver, tweezer, toothpick, and if that isn't enough, we can change out the cellidor scales for a set that can also accommodate a pen and a pin.

That said, the alox models are also very nice, although they seem to need assistance from their cellidor siblings (Classic, Rambler) for fuller function. I like all Vic SAKs :) .

No question, the alox in line awl is the berries, but we who struggle by day and curse the dark with that Tinker spawned T-shaped devil's compromise, soothe our tortured souls with the additional small blade, phillips driver, tweezer, toothpick, and if that isn't enough, we can change out the cellidor scales for a set that can also accommodate a pen and a pin.

That said, the alox models are also very nice, although they seem to need assistance from their cellidor siblings (Classic, Rambler) for fuller function. I like all Vic SAKs :) .

I've got mad love for the Tinker too, I carried mine today. Had it long before my Pioneer and it's been through a lot with me, has a special place in my heart.

I carried an alox Soldier for a time, and it is a great knife. But I eventually went back to a Tourist (84mm Spartan) because I missed the pen blade, toothpick and tweezers, and the corkscrew/tiny screwdriver combination.

I carry a regular silver Alox Pioneer with me 90% of the time in my left hand pocket. A lot of people also like the farmer which is the same thing with a saw blade added iirc

The soldier/pioneer is indeed one of the best saks out there, and can start an addiction...
If you don't mind the lack of a lanyard and can still find it, get a soldier model.
I only carry now traditional knives, but can't help to think sometimes about the compact usefulness of the soldier and the good times when i carried it.
I do keep a Farmer in my outdoor bag though.

The Alox SAKs are all excellent. You just can't go wrong with any of them. I see the Pioneer as more of a city knife with a whole layer going for openers. For an outdoor SAK I prefer the Electrician with that great extra blade. That's also the Rancher with a different kind of extra blade. And with one more thin layer, you can get a saw with either the Farmer or Harvester. With so many good choices, it's really hard to pick just one.

Great knife, love it. Love the Rancher even more tho. I use the hawkbill blade every day, the can opener once a month at most. The mighty P38 can do that duty for me at least as well.

Back