Opinions on the Victorinox Pioneer Swiss Army Knife.

you simply cannot do wrong with a pioneer as everyone else says here. eventually, my friend you will find that carrying a small pen knife or better yet -- a medium stockman will certainly give you even more utility. personally, i edc a '08 alox soldier along with a case yellow handled medium stockman and am amazed how much utility i get out of this combo. fwiw, the pioneer is a great deal ! when you get it, please tell us what you think of it.

with best regards,

brian

Vic Alox Pioneer is my FAVORITE Swiss Army Knife. Love it to pieces, has all of the tools I want with me for an average day in my life, I do supplement it with a Vic Classic on the keys so I also have scissors tweezers and toothpick on me without having to pick a larger SAK that has those as well. Pioneer is awesome. As someone said before, buy 3.

Here it is in a typical pocket dump for me:
IMG_8865.jpg

I recognise so many things there, I have a Streamlight Microstream and a Rat 1 here in front of me while typing this.
I have a Cadet and a Farmer, but now you guys are making me want a Pioneer too.
Got . . . too . . . many . . . SAKs . . . must . . . resist . . . temptation . . .

Pioneer = victorinox soldiers knife (alox)/wenger soldat

Soldiers knife/soldat = awesome!

The Vic Pioneer is a fine knife, but I'd recommend the Vic Farmer over it - same alox advantage plus the amazingly useful (for its size) saw.

The Wenger Soldier is almost identical to the Vic Pioneer, but it has a bail instead of a key ring hole. I prefer the smoother profile without the key ring hole (with the bail removed).

JMrN9.jpg

5zLz2.jpg

h5jUl.jpg

9CwaC.jpg

I like the pioneer, especially the black alox version. It's light, not too thick, not too thin and pretty much ideal for day to day city life.

Love my pioneer Rancher, which has the can opener exchanged for the awesome pruning blade.

Victorinox_01.jpg

I wanted to like mine but it's a bit too big for a slipjoint for me. More troubling, the blade's lockup is a bit mushy- my Alox Solo is much better. My favorite SAK is the small Tinker.

I wanted to like mine but it's a bit too big for a slipjoint for me. More troubling, the blade's lockup is a bit mushy- my Alox Solo is much better. My favorite SAK is the small Tinker.

Mushy? That's not good. Mine is just like all the other SAK I have, crisp and snappy. Have you tried cleaning it? You might have a lemon.

I had a mushy Bantam, but a drop of oil fixed it.

Nowadays I usually EDC a Cadet or Bantam in a back pocket. My Vic Soldier is on permanent KP duty, where it gets used almost every day for one thing or another.

Well After a great deal of hard working and penny pinching I am now the Proud owner of a Pioneer Swiss Army Knife and I LOVE it.

very much, I put it through an EDC test and a Whittling test and it passed both of them with flying colors. It is a really Great knife and I am extremely proud to finally own it.

Well After a great deal of hard working and penny pinching I am now the Proud owner of a Pioneer Swiss Army Knife and I LOVE it.

very much, I put it through an EDC test and a Whittling test and it passed both of them with flying colors. It is a really Great knife and I am extremely proud to finally own it.

Great news!!!! :thumbup:

Just when I thought that I'd be fine with just a farmer, this thread from almost two years gets resurrected...

I this it's a sign(to buy more alox).

The only thing that I don't like about the alox SAKs are how slippery they are.

I really like the black alox color so much that I cleaned out a web dealer of his inventory of Pioneer's, less of course the one or two on this forum I steered in their direction who also purchased a black Pioneer. Anyway, Pioneer, Soldier, Soldat, with or without hollow rivet, with or without bail, with the key chain thingy, in any color, says the owner knows a thing or two about perfection, Glock's notwithstanding.:)

The alox Soldier/Pioneer led to my alox infection and after all these years, I don't see a cure on the horizon.

The knives have multiplied like bunnies and have caused a traditional knife side effect which is also progressing at an alarming rate.

I have progressed to the Electrician version as I find a second blade more useful than a can opener, but yes, fantastic knives. I think in the knife world, they are one of the best values for your money.

I also have a Minichamp on a AAA light in the other pocket all the time as well. Great combo for my needs. And alox Minichamps are cool too. Lol.

Joe

its a victorinox, enough said really. but seriously its a very attractive and functional knife but i wish they made a model with scissors and its also a shame that you lose the tweesers and toothpick but i guess thats the trade off for those sturdier and nicer looking alox scales.

its a victorinox, enough said really. but seriously its a very attractive and functional knife but i wish they made a model with scissors and its also a shame that you lose the tweesers and toothpick but i guess thats the trade off for those sturdier and nicer looking alox scales.

Their actually is two current alox model with scissors............... The alox Classic and alox Minichamp. :thumbup:

It's no 93mm, but the 58mm scissors still rock. I completely agree that they need to make a 93mm alox with scissors though. I would be in alox heaven. I do own a few alox models with scissors, but they are customs.

Back