order status and projects

Any updates? This is one of my favorite threads to follow and not just because I have a knife coming. :D

We're about to head to Reno for the day, but I should be able to get some decent photos up this evening or tomorrow. Shop is coming together well, and I've got like 19 baldes laid out on a table right now. perfect photo op

Here's about 2/3 of the north wall of the shop. my main "messing around bench".

2010-09-11-0001.jpeg

a lot of that is orders, some isn't, some is for kits knives. That's...21 (?) heat treated blades visible (the bolochetes and a few others aren't)

Here's two modern seax blades, waiting on a bit more hand rubbing and some glue up. one is an order.

2010-09-11-0002.jpeg

another shot of one of them:

2010-09-11-0008.jpeg

A 15 inch bush beater getting glued up today. and another field dirk I"m working on:

2010-09-11-0003.jpeg

Another shot of the field dirk:

2010-09-11-0007.jpeg

more......

another shot of the pile of 57's (convex EDC), stead knives, with some sgian dubhs and other stuff in there.

2010-09-11-0004.jpeg

and one of the zog nits in the hand sanding mode:

2010-09-11-0006.jpeg

2010-09-11-0005.jpeg

Cool pics!

I was wondering what those tapered tang blades are. You can't really call them "stick tang" given their size. Care to shed any light?

Cool pics!

I was wondering what those tapered tang blades are. You can't really call them "stick tang" given their size. Care to shed any light?

That is actually my version of a stick tang! :D

The rear portion - last third or quarter, will be worked down some after some more torching. That's the section that will be peened over on the steel butt cap. So the very end will be about 1/4x1/8 where it goes through the butt cap.

But that's pretty much how I work them. Especially the front quarter, I want the most metal possible.

The reasons I've been sitting on those for 4 months is that

1: I have orders I need to do, and with the move it's all freaky.

2: I have a mill and I'm slowly working on technique for press fit guards

Last edited:
Christof,

Lots of work getting done...Good to see you're up and running again! Is that my LBK 4th from the left, bottom pic? When do you do the filework? Or is that a later stage? Lot of steel there...one of those Sgian Dubh's is going to make its way into my locker soon, too.

Christof,

Lots of work getting done...Good to see you're up and running again! Is that my LBK 4th from the left, bottom pic? When do you do the filework? Or is that a later stage? Lot of steel there...one of those Sgian Dubh's is going to make its way into my locker soon, too.

Yeah, I do the filework later on, I really like to have the handle glued and rough formed first, it seems to help me place the start and stop of the filework. Sometimes on a shiny knife I'll change that up a bit, pin the scales on, sort out the filework placement, then unpin the scales. I'll do that at 320/400 grit and then finish down to 600-800 after the filing.

Nice...thanks for the info. It looks like a beast of a knife, already, in a relatively small package. Im pumped. Thanks for the pic!

(rpn, you'll have photos soonish.)

An LBK going OCONUS soon. I don't do bone/horn type handles often, they don't always work well with my finish style. But this one is coming out GREAT.

The tubing pins are thick walled. They look thin in the photos because of the chamfering!

2010-09-20-0001.jpeg

2010-09-20-0002.jpeg

2010-09-20-0005.jpeg

fit is good all around, the photos are highlighting a few rough bits I need to polish out. especially with G10, you'll see that until the buffing stages.

I look forward to seeing mine of course, but I think we gotta see that 15" bush beater as it develops! Holy "This is Sparta!" Batman!

That's going to be a beast!

Good morning, Christof!

Hope your Thanksgiving went well. Been away awhile, as I was attending training for another upcoming deployment. Glad to be back.

Any updates on my LBK?

'Fuzz

LBK is back in my hands as of friday, sheathed and ready. I was hoping I'd have the bushie back today, but that might be later this week. I'll get an email off and mailing done

Back