OT - Family Food

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
I am sitting here having one of the foods I grew up with. It's nothing fancy at all...but I like it.

Keilbasa and beans.

One hunk of Polska Keilbasa sliced into poker chips with a can of Campbells Pork & Beans dumped over the top of them, heated through and eaten out of a bowl with a spoon. SLices of buttered white bread optional.

As I said, nothing fancy, but I grew up eating it.

This sort of stuff will never be found in a restaurant...

What do you eat (game aside for the most part) that will never make it to a restaurant menu?

Yes...it's a boring night.

I like that too.

never make it to a restaurant menu?

Well, Cheese toast. Or a fistfull of french bread with a small slab of very sharp cheddar.

Peanut butter and Saltine crackers

Real sharp cheddar cheese on a slice of bread with Miracle Whip and sweet pickles.

munk

Wien-Sang. (wiener sandwich).

Two slices of bread, with loads of Miracle whip, mustard, whatever you want. Then, put on a bunch of microwaved hot dogs, sliced the long way.

Great stuff!

Nam

hot, toasted eggo's with tons of butter and real Cdn maple syrup.

mmm mmm!

Mamav's cinnamon rolls:D served with grilled sausage:D

I've never seen my meatballs in a restaurant either......they are so good....and I wonder why I have a weight problem:rolleyes: .....LOL

I just thought of the favorite around here. Why I didn't think of this before- well-
Buttered Noodles. That's it. Any kind of noodle. Butter, a little salt. If you haven't had any for years you should try it.
The kids demand it. They know it's almost sugar..breaking down while you munch the warm, slightly chewy Noble Noodle.

munk

Baked Stuffed Franks. Had it in a mess hall once, improved it, and ran with it from there. You'll need the following:

A tube of dough for dinner rolls (be creative with which sort)
Some bacon
Some hotdogs (sausage can work)
Some cheese

Fry up some bacon. Cook it about 75% done. Drain well. (Save the grease for your baked beans and seasoning your cast iron skillets. If you don't have any cast iron skillets, now's a good time to buy some. Season them with the bacon grease.) Slice halfway through the hotdogs lengthwise and stuff some cheese in there. (OPTIONAL: add some finely minced garlic and/or onion with the cheese.) Wrap each dog in a strip of bacon.

Seperate out your dough into equal portions and flatten each portion out. Wrap each dog in a piece of flattened dough. Arrange on a baking sheet. Preheat your oven for whatever temperature is recommended on the tube of dough. Bake until dough is fluffy and brown.

Very tasty, but you'll feel your arteries hardening before you're done eating the first one. I recommend taking a good jog afterwards to at least minimize the damage. Serve with any desired hotdog condiments. (None are required, but a little mustard is acceptable.)

Home food, a couple different homemade polish suasages...pigs in the blanket(aka stuffed cabbage)...lady locks....nut rolls...kugala... jelly filled crepes...cucumber salad...city chicken...kluski noodles in chicken soup....

Home food to me now that I brought back... Muckalica, Cevapcici, Serbian Salad...

Muckalica is actually pretty easy on the diet... Pork medallions (but was referenced as mixed meat and has been cat and rat in my digestive system as I learned after the fact), peppers, onions and spices...can be served over rice, but wasn't most places I went - and when it was, it's just enough rice to cover the bottom of the plate, not the half-pound we're used to in the states...

Baked bean sandwich! Toasted bread with a good amount of mayo and then a bunch of B+M baked beans, cold or room temp in between. You can do lettuce if you like. Try it, it's really quite good:D

I haven,t had breakfast yet and you guys are torturing me like this ! Slices of french bread lightly broiled on both sides . Slather on some peanut butter and I mean slather . This doesn,t work if you are cheap with the chunky . Back under the broiler until the peanut butter starts to toast dark brown . Wait a bit before you eat as the hot peanut butter will teach you to be respectful .

Buffalo burgers . Not much to it ground buffalo barely cooked , slice of tomato and toasted hamburger buns . A nice bottle of black cat red wine from chile . The wine is made from blackberries . DEElicious !

Sassas - I grew up on that stuff too...we must share a common heritage.
Kevin - I agree on the Buffalo burgers...delicious stuff and always looked forward to at Powwows. I have to find a source for the wine...sounds great.
munk - yup...buttered noodles are a favorite here too...but specifically they are the wide egg noodles...none of that healthy no yolks stuff.

On occassion, when I want to feel that special feeling that I had around my grandfather, I will have an NDN steak sandwich. That's balogna and some cheese. Nothing much unusual..except for the peanut butter and strawberry smoothies that I make a few times a week.

I remember one time when I was younger and with my first wife, we were in a grocery store. I thought it would be funny to scratch off the UPC code of a box of condoms and put it in the shopping buggy, and then make a safe departure and watch from a far. That was the longest price check ever.
She repaid me the upcoming weekend when I went camping and rock climbing and packed my food for me.....a full weekend supply of vienna sausages and a pack of crackers. Not bad when you are hungry, but after a couple of days....

Lemme see, I haven't had any of the "good stuff" in awhile. The wife was trying to drop a few before the wedding....so i got to drop a few too. No junk food in the house:rolleyes:
My mom used to make me corn syrup and peanut butter. Sounds nasty, but I like it:)
Pigs in a blanket. Little pieces of hot dogs wrapped in canned biscuit dough and baked.
Sticky buns for dessert. Basically little pieces of canned biscuit dough (see a pattern here?) placed in a backing dish with butter and brown suger, then microwaved for a few mins. Good stuff...that's bad for you.
My dad used to always make me bologna and fried egg sandwiches with mayo. God I hated those:barf: , but it was dad doing his best even though he had no clue.
However, his banana pancakes were excellent:D :thumbup: Just pancakes with chunks of 'naner cooked in. He made them for me before wrestling matches, football games, and track meets.

Jake

Nasty said:
What do you eat (game aside for the most part) that will never make it to a restaurant menu?

Sardines and crackers, saltines, not the Ritz or HiHo brands.:thumbup: :D
And preferably the little sardines with the head only removed with the innards still intact. The large sardines will work in a pinch and are *almost* as good but there's just something about the tiny sardines; and packed in oil of course, none of the tomato or mustard sauce for this Okie and his grandpa who taught him to eat 'em.:cool:

Fried bologna... or fried Spam® sandwiches... mmm, bacony-tasting. On toast. That won't be on any restaurant menus soon.

Also.. they sell crawfish tails- frozen, cleaned, picked out meat in a package.

Heat up some of these in melted butter....

Spoon out into a golden-toasted hot dog roll.

Voila, poor man's New England Lobster Roll, southern style.

Ad Astra

It's not really a main course, but my mom and I used to eat dill pickles and plain potato chips together after school. Now they've got the dill chips, but this was 25 years ago, so we were first.

Andy

Hm. I made chicken 'n dumplings for Jordy, her dad and I a couple of days ago, but that's common.

I like spirulina in my smoothies. Weird at first, but it becomes addictive.

I like peanut butter and lettuce sandwiches.

I've been known to add peanut butter to beans.

I've been known to saute garlic, broccoli, and bell peppers, then toss in a mixture of fish sauce, eggs, brown sugar, and chili garlic sauce, just before I killed the heat.

A little while ago, I made some extra moist corn bread (two eggs for a small pan) on the stove, and melted cheddar and jack cheese on top, then topped with a little salsa. Mm.

Yesterday, I was putting small chunks of habanero cheddar on tortilla chips, with a small slice of hanbanero and a dollop of Pace hot salsa. Yummy.

John, I like peanut butter, hot peppers, and cheese, if you can't tell. :)

Back