OT - Family Food

I almost forgot: the almighty tomato sandwich.

Toasted bread, sliced tomato, and some mayonnaise. Surprisingly good. I ate a lot of these when I was younger. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to find a decent tomato around here.

About hot dishes,love them.never can be sure what is in them though.I think they are a Minn.,North Dakota,eastern Mont. thing,never seen out of that area.
That and Sandwich Spead on your hamburgers,nothing better.

Ralph

Hot dishes and Eastern Montana? I don't understand, Shearer, could you explain?
Never sure what's in them?

That reminds me; we can talk about Stews sometimes.

munk

Hi,
Hot dishes is where,the cook throws in everything but the kitchen sink and bakes in a oven. My family was big on hamburger,onions,potatos,mushroom soup,and carrots.Other people used other ingredients,but it wasn't the same.When I got married,my poor wife,a poor city girl,got a real lesson in boondock cooking.:D After I learned to (NEVER) compare Mom and Grandma cooking to hers,we got along real well.:foot: :D

Shearer

After I learned to (NEVER) compare Mom and Grandma cooking to hers,we got along real well. >>>>> Shearer

That's one of the laws of the Universe.

munk

Dave Rishar said:
I almost forgot: the almighty tomato sandwich.

Toasted bread, sliced tomato, and some mayonnaise. Surprisingly good. I ate a lot of these when I was younger. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to find a decent tomato around here.

I've been wanting to try growing heirloom tomatoes for a while... I'm a little tireed of tasteless, perfectly red, all-the -same-size stuff that's only good as a garnish in a salad.

http://www.heirloomtomatoes.bizland.com/varieties.htm
http://www.heirloomtomatoes.net/Varieties.htm
http://www.landrethseeds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_915&osCsid=1b09980ec9861bbc81c82dbb4c05aa5c

Navy beans, fried cornbread, some slices of fresh onion and tomato on the side, Mason jar of sweet tea to wash it all down.

Sarge

almost forgot: the almighty tomato sandwich

Dave, on your next one: throw on a few slabs of really good sharp cheddar. Cabot makes some good sharp cheddar btw....

YMMV;)

Hey, if anyone wants heirloom tomato seeds, drop me a line. I save my seeds every year (no not THAT kind of seeds). I've got about 6-7 different kinds, cherry and beefsteak. Just don't ask me what they're all called.

Aardvar...I'd love some if you can spare them!

Sarge - I've actually had exactly that at a little place in Georgia. I wouldn't call it a restaurant as it's actually the feed at an old boardinghouse, but it's all laid out in dishes and help yourself. It's one of my most favorite places to eat when I travel down there.

Rouladen (German beef rollups), pork spareribs cooked with potatoes and saurkraut, Mrs. Feltman's sauerbraten, potato pancakes. Uh, oh, better not go grocery shopping.

Best sandwich: homegrown beefsteak tomato slices, rustic slightly-sourdough bread, cream cheese, salt, FRESHLY GROUND black pepper (it matters).

Nasty, you have mail.

Spectre said:
I like peanut butter and lettuce sandwiches.

OK - THAT is a new one. I remember having peanut butter and pickle sandwiches when I was a kid.

Yvsa - I haven't had sardines in a while, best ones are in mustard sauce! with club crackers and sometimes some hot sauce...

Ketchup sandwiches, a generous amount of ketchup between two slices of bread.

Butter and sugar sandwiches, a generous spread of real home churned butter spread thick on one side of bread and then sprinkle with a couple teaspoons of sugar.
Better than it sounds and guaranteed to get kids racing 900 miles an hour!!!!:thumbup: :p ;)
Made on homemade thick crusted bread a real plus.:thumbup: :cool: :D

Probably *not* what you are supposed to have tonight Edutsi...

More smoke just because...

I should probably say that my real favorite foods are from my dad. You see, his hobby and passion is gourmet cooking. You can't believe some of the stuff he creates. Truly 5-star. Works out pretty well for me!

But my favorite meal, which I had every week until I came here to college:

Popcorn night.

It all started when my parents were first married and broke. It's a cheap, fun, meatless meal. Here's how it works:

You cook real popcorn, in oil in an old cast aluminum pan over the stove. Then, add a lot of butter, and mix and shake in a paper grocery bag.

Serve with sides of candy (normally chocolate) and some sort of fruit.

The key, though: take turns renting movies and eat the meal in the living room, with the whole family, just watching whatever the person picked. It's a great family night, and quite affordable. It's an amazing family thing.

Nam

Sounds nice...I think Americans have too many TVs now...folks go off on their own and lose something in the process...

Namaarie,

We eat popcorn here too. We don't eat it to the exclusion of life sustaining foods, though. The kids get all excited. They cluster around the machine. I'll be on the computer and each will pass by with a big bowl or plastic bin full of the stuff, their eyes all lit up because they think they're in heaven, they're getting away with something. Like, go to the doghouse dig a hole and bury, kind of good. My wife won't have butter on hers which fulfills some sort of spiritual pennance or quest....

munk

...I think Americans have too many TVs now...folks go off on their own and lose something in the process...>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nasty

I was just thinking that. You go into another room, and you don't know what will come on the TV you left behind. They oughta make a device so you can monitor all the TV's and their channels . It's about time we made those big Corporations listen to us and give us what we want.

munk

I grew up in an Irish household.

There were no good foods; only those less-worse.

Foods were cooked to death, then cooked again.

There is a reason that there are no Irish restaurants. Pubs? sure. Restaurants catering to Irish cuisine? Nope.

Back