OT - Family Food

Just a thought; it may be Ireland as a poor place and hit hard by such things as the Plague, once upon a time, valued what food it had very much. And food was scarce. When food is scarce, any food will do, and some of that old, starting to smell, no longer prime stuff could be boiled to death with a certain amount of safety and still feed people.

btw, if any one thinks I've denigrated Ireland I am Scots/Irish, and a very very far away connection to Robert the Bruise, King of Scots.

munk

I remember having something that could only be classified as "po boy nachos" when I was very little.

My family would rent VHS tapes (a new innovation, at the time) and my mother would lay out a bunch of tortilla chips on a cookie sheet. She'd spread salsa and processed cheese spread over the tops and bake them for a bit. I remember it as being rather good. The last time that I tried something similar I nearly threw up.

The joyous memories of childhood, or a more refined palate? Having endured nearly ten years of Navy cuisine, I'm inclined to believe that it's the former. I ought to give it another shot with jalapenos on top though.

Irish cuisine - Oxymoron

The closest I can come is Corned Beef and cabbage...

ps: munk...I meant the impact on the family drifting apart, not having too many channels to choose from.

Hmmm. Too bad I promised my wife I would go on a diet.

Homemade baked bean sandwiches. My Mom made the beans so thick you could spread them on the bread, no dripping, with a bunch of butter.

Bacon and peanut butter on wheat toast.

Grilled bologna with an eggs.

Trailer trash green beans (canned green beans with a bunch of bacon and baked with barbeque sauce).

Geeze, wonder why I need a diet.

sauerbraten & buttered noodles, goulash & noodles, beef stroganoff & noodles (anything goes good with noodles), stuffed cabbage with sauerkraut (not tomatoe sauce), krushticki, bratwurst, bauernwurst, keilbasa, anykinda-wurst, corn dogs, hominy, roast squirrel, pork bbq & pork scratchins, strawberry jam filled crepes, fried pies (peach & apple), pecan pie. kidney beans, heinz beans, sausage & rice loosiana style (no cheese like 'he whose name shall not be mentioned' mentioned once)

all certified medically safe and low colesterol of course.

A little slice of heaven. If I'm really ambitious I make a big old pot of Hurst's Family 15 bean soup mix. An onion, celery, an old soup bone or sausage and I can eat for a week on that one meal alone. Oddly enough, people don't like being around me during that week.

Forgot a couple, first chow mein sandwiches on a french roll. Take left over chow mein and heat it up in a frying pan with a littlw soy sauce and maybe a little hot mustard, put it in a heated french roll and enjoy. The second is a lot simplier, potato chip sandwich on white bread. Ah memories.

munk said:
After I learned to (NEVER) compare Mom and Grandma cooking to hers,we got along real well. >>>>> Shearer

That's one of the laws of the Universe.
munk

That and "Hell no honey, you're not fat"

My mom used to make me peanut butter and marshmallow creme sandwiches.

My grandmother would make fried bologna on white bread with mayo and mustard, and some onion sliced so thin you could see through it.

mmmmm

Steve

Back