OT: Fiddlebacks & Firearms

ncrockclimb said:
Nice!! VERY nice!!

I have never owned a 10mm, but have always wanted one. Without starting an "x caliber is better than y caliber" argument, it is pretty easy to make a case that the 10mm is one of the most potent production handgun cartridges on the market.

I agree completely about the 10mm and I typically avoid those debates as well. The 10mm is an ideal round (but not the best round :D) for a Michigan woods gun and hunting whitetail. I also have a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag for the same purpose. Michigan doesn't have Browns or Grizzly. In the Upper Peninsula where I hunt there are black bear, wolf, and a few cats. Sure there can be an extreme circumstance or the very rare crazy encounter story but I'm very confident toting the 10mm here.

California is 10. Jersey is zero .. Hell, you can't even carry a pocket knife or pump your own gas there. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ha, you joke, but i try to never stop in NJ while travelling. i hate not being able to pump my own gas. ;)

Colorado is technically 15, but it's often disregarded.

I'm referring only to hunting capacities. The limit is 9 (8+1). The Glock 40 long slide is a 10mm hunting machine but the magazine would have to be permanently altered to restrict capacity. I wondered if snap caps could be used as method of restriction similar to a shotgun plug. I spoke with a DNR officer about this but my question was answered with a NO. Ablock or wood or similar plug must be permanently mounted to the bottom of the magazine to restrict capacity. They don't want you to be able to convert the magazine in the field to a larger capacity.

The Sig is perfect for Michigan hunting. 8 round magazine capacity and single action trigger.

thanks for the info guys. and man, that sig is hawt. :D

Always has been my favorite thread...

Finally unpacking my knives after the big move. My 1873 wrapped in custom RLO leather, my scandi KEBushie, and my prize Rechsteiner Nessmuk.

1873-th.jpg

I agree completely about the 10mm and I typically avoid those debates as well. The 10mm is an ideal round (but not the best round :D) for a Michigan woods gun and hunting whitetail. I also have a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag for the same purpose. Michigan doesn't have Browns or Grizzly. In the Upper Peninsula where I hunt there are black bear, wolf, and a few cats. Sure there can be an extreme circumstance or the very rare crazy encounter story but I'm very confident toting the 10mm here.

One of the interesting differences between the 10mm and the 44 mag. is the meplat. You can get a nice keith style round in that .44 mag. I have no direct experience feeding hardcast least flat nosed bullets in a semi-auto but its worth exploring.

I wouldn't want to be on the other end of either.

Last edited:
Back