OT: What Handgun and Rifle combo would you pair up with your Khukuri?

Not legal to carry handguns around in Canada but I'll play along:

1. Sarge's M4 and 9mm Browning HiPower (easy to get ammo for both).

2. Volquartsen - accurized stainless Ruger 10/22 with 2-7x Leupold RF special and Ruger stainless 5 1/2" Mark II, plus 1500 rounds of ammo. Try to carry that much in .223!:p Ditch the pistol and add another brick of ammo?

3. Don't know much about boating, but: Remington 12ga. Marine Magnum with flares and shotshells. Handgun would be stainless Ruger MK II again, for shooting big fish in the head when reeled in. I can't imagine any other kinds of guns that one would need when sailing... Does a spear gun count?:D

Phil

1: Colt 1911 and an M-16, just like the khuk, battle tested, battle proven.

2: Colt 1911 and a .22, no real brand pref with the .22, it just has to be reliable.

3: I don't know. I ain't really an ocean person.

1. short barrel styer aug with reflexsight and laser point option.kimber .45 or wilson combat elite.

2. custom ruger 1022 hb, reflex sight and 4-8x scope. ruger mark 2 hb.

3.benelli m4. glock 19.

M-4 carbine by Colt, and M-9, 9 mm pistol by Beretta. 'Course these are only backup weapons for self defense, primary weapon is a two-ship of fully armed Warthogs on the other end of the radio. Grunts and armored guys alike just love them ugly planes. "Angels on their shoulders".

On a side note: wish they'd let me tote my old Makarov. Great pocket pistol, not much for stopping power, but easy to carry, accurate, and rock solid reliable.

Sarge

Sarge, try the FEG-63. Pretty much like the Mak, but kicks a little more with the same ammo cause it's got an alloy frame. Gonna have to get me one without a paper trail one of these days. Also been looking at the CZ83's in 380, 13+1 capacity in a pretty small bundle.

For 1:
The only one that "feels" right when paired with my 18" WWII is my 8mm Mauser. I suppose if I had an Enfield, Garand or 1903 it would be one of those.
For 2:
Ruger 10/22 w/scope and my 12" Siru.
For 3:
Salt water and a Khuk! No way... I'd use a stainless shotgun and some sort of stainless fixed blade. Maybe a Buck Intrepid or SOG Seal Pup.

Originally posted by Broken Arrow
Since the gun topics bring out the shooters in our group: What handgun and rifle combo do you use with your beloved H.I. Khukuri?

Situations:

1. Combat environment.

2. Survival.

3. Sailing.

Let's go!!!! :)

1. My Egyptian made AK-47.

2. My Ruger stainless 10/.22 with the Simmons brushed chrome 2x9 (or is it 4 x 9?, loseing it again here.:grumpy:) scope
and the Mossberg 500 12 gauge
along with my Marlin lever action .357 Mag Carbine and Ruger Security Six also in .357 Mag.:)

3. AK-47, Mossberg 500, and Ruger revolver.

And in all above situations the first YCS with her little tools.;)

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
My Ruger P-90DC in .45, and It'd be a toss up between the

Winchester model 94 (chambered for .45acp, so's I could use the same loads for rifle and pistol, and it's a classic saddle gun),

Keith

Hey y'all, Keith sent me some info on the .45 ACP, but I'm wondering if anyone else can add anything else about it?

The reason I'm asking is my son is interested in one and wondered what I thought of it. He has a friend who reloads the .45 ACP and he can get them for a dime apiece, not too terribly bad for plinkin ainnit?
I didn't even know they existed!!!!

So, are they good for whitetails? And if so how far out?
Would they have the same output as the .357 Mag in the Marlin lever action Carbine like I have? Less? More?

I like my .357 Mag because I can also shoot .38's in it if I want to although the range cuts down considerably as well as interchange them with my wheel gun.;)
There still good for popping squirrels outta trees although if you miss "barking" the squirrel the brains are lost which Bill wouldn't like since he eats them and with chocolate too!!!!:eek:

Yvsa,
I don't know if I'd use a .45 ACP for deer. They only go about 900fps. I think I'd stick with the .357 Mag. They're great for plinking and personal defense thu :). Reloading them is really cheap!

Try AK47.com or was it net? They've consolidated the AR15 forum with this and another.

Personally, an AK47 is an AK. Forged, trimmed, etched, hammered or stamped. I don't care if Madonna slobbered on it. It shoots bullets reliably though not particularly accurately. There are some accurate ones but for the price why go there? I once sold 3 or 4 AK's to a customer over a 5 month time. He kept upgrading. Chinese, Romanian, Hungarian, hell, I don't even know where he ended up- other than over 2000 dollars poorer, with a 'better' weapon that still put 5 bullets in 4- 6" at a hundred yards.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Daewoo or the AR18.

I like my Mac, but I'm not taking it with me. Tell you all what- come the bad days ahead- I'll give it to one of you if you'll watch my flank. I've always trusted people who like AK's though. Can't quite put it into words, but there's a certain competent craziness there I want on my side.

munk

SharpBits, a Mauser is a Fine rifle for survival, toughest thing out there and easily affordable on a budge both rifle and ammo. and with a scout mount would fair well in combat.. i was musing about that myself.. but i figure i'd rather go with an AK... got the reliability down pat as far as automatics go and heck you can basicly play a SAW gunner with some 75 round drums :)

Originally posted by Yvsa
Hey y'all, Keith sent me some info on the .45 ACP, but I'm wondering if anyone else can add anything else about it?

The reason I'm asking is my son is interested in one and wondered what I thought of it. He has a friend who reloads the .45 ACP and he can get them for a dime apiece, not too terribly bad for plinkin ainnit?

Yvsa
IMHO, the .45 ACP 1911 is the finest combat pistol ever made. Colt, Kimber, Wilson, Springfield Armory are all quality versions of this classic configuration. I am partial to the Colt version. I have owned all sorts of pistols and revolvers. I especially like Glock pistols, G19 9MM and G21 45ACP. But I keep coming back to the 1911. Its like an old friend who never lets you down and is always there for you. That 1/2 inch hole is so reassuring.

As for shooting reloads from a friend, I wouldn't do it. An accidental double charge of powder could prove disasterous. A ruined gun or, worse, a mangled hand. Unless your son wants to reload himself and learn the proper procedure, I would definitely advise against using reloads. Besides, you can buy practice ammo like Federal Eagle pretty cheap.

Hope this helps some.

Semp --

Thanks Semp.:)

I did another Oopsie though and didn't make myself clear at all!!!!:eek:
I was refering to what Keith had said about the Winchester Lever Action in .45 ACP.
That's what my son is interested in.
My Carbine is the Marlin in .357 Mag.

On the reloads note the guy doing the reloading is one they all call Shooter.
Shooter is an old Marine that loads all of his own rounds. I would trust Shooters ammo even more than my own if I were reloading, but you're right in that it's always a chance.

I learn something new every day on this forum. I didn't know there was such a thing as a Winchester Lever Action 45 ACP! Guess I've been looking at pistols too long. :D

My connection is back up. Here's the links to the Winchester Model 94. The Model 94 chambered for 45colt is under 500bux!

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=534&type_id=086&cat=003C

Of course, they've got 44mag and 357mag, for you magnum shooters out there. I'd want the 45, but .357 is my second choice...

534086114m.jpg

I'm quite sure that a 45ACP slug fired thru a 24inch barrel will exceed 900fps, which is the average for a 45 fired from 4" pistol barrel. I'd be impressed if anyone could dodge anything travelling at a pokey 900fps, tho. I think 300fps is pretty speedy.

Oh, and if you need another son, Yvsa, I'm in the market;)

The 2 I found on the site that shoot .45 are the Legacy and the Trails end. Holds 11rounds! Biggest diff is the 20 or 24 inch barrel.

Keith

Uhh... I thought that sounded funny.

I believe that particular rifle is chambered for .45 Long Colt, not .45 Automatic Colt Pistol. The former is a revolver round from the Colt Peacemaker days, not the 1911 design.

If they made one in .45 ACP it would be neat though. :)

Don't know about 45acp in lever;... Know Federal has long had a round in 45 colt in excess of 900 fps--out of a handgun!!! (225 gr last time I looked.)

munk

Yvas

I am a gunsmith and one of my specialties is customizing lever guns. To my knowledge there has never been a production lever action chambered in 45 ACP and it would be costly to build a custom in 45 ACP. I have turned a Marlin 357 mag into a 38 Super and there was major work involved. John browning designed these rifles to function with a rimmed cartridge, the ACP is rimless. A more cost effective alternative would be one of the Ruger or Marlin semi auto's factory chambered for 45 ACP.

both Navy Arms and A. Uberti make replicas of the 1873 Winchester But its in 45 lc and 44-40.

Back