OT: What Handgun and Rifle combo would you pair up with your Khukuri?

Yvsa, I remembered something and looked it up; the extra length of a rifle barrel does not improve the .45acp enough. I just grabbed a Lyman #47 which I keep under the table, and it shows a 240 gr slug only approaching 1000fps. The case capacity is too small, and the bullet achieves max velocity without the use of the 16" Marlin Camp carbine barrel. It may even slow down past 10" or 12".

Semper is right that the low cost of various surplus and economy packs of .45 ball ammo would make reloading uneccesary for practise.

I've had good luck with reputable reloads. If you load your own, you have yourself to blame if something goes wrong.

I would be mildly surprized if you could stuff enough powder in a .45 acp case to blow a strong action like a Ruger revolver or a Marlin lever or semi auto. But don't prove me wrong!

munk

for pointing out that .45 colt is rimfire and an altogether different round. I can wish, tho.;)

Keith

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
for pointing out that .45 colt is rimfire and an altogether different round. I can wish, tho.;)

Keith

What??? I have a .45 colt and it is a centerfire. Maybe they are made both ways?

The 45 Colt is centerfire. If there is a rimfire version, as in some of the earliest cartridge cases, I am not aware of it. The Spencer fired an anemic rimfire around, - I'm not a weapons historian.

The 45 Colt headspaces on the rim. The 45 ACP headspaces on the lip of the case. It has a rebated rim, used for extraction.

The 45 Colt is one of my favorite cartridges. It needs to be handloaded for best versatility. To swipe Yvsa's statement on knife sharpening and redirect: If I can reload ammo, anyone can.

munk

1. The best rifle I can find or pick up along with the best sidearm, M43, and Plenty of ammo. Until then, I would be stuck with my M48A. Not a bad weapon, I'd just prefer something different for 2 legged critters. BTW, a 8mm diameter 197 grain FMJ round will ruin your day, and provide a good deal of penetration.I also have my Ruger Security Six. (Used and abused as an old cop's carry gun, action like snot on a lightning bolt or a greased doorknob.) I would rub down my M43 with 400-600 grit sandpaper and cold blu with Birchwood Casey's Perma Blu. A 18" knife with a Black 13" straight razor like blade... very cool. (As a "civilian freedom fighter" I will take what I can get, and shoot whomever I want with the best Soft-hollow point ammo I can find. FMJ will be backup.)

OT: Anybody ever "pull" some of this surplus 8mm Mauser ammo and reload it with modern components to see what this copper coated steel jacket on these 197gr projectiles are relly capable of?

2. Same as above. Those 197 grain SP from S&B can drop anything on this continent. 15" AK, less reach than the M43, but about the same weight and more capable to cut through bone/take abuse.

3. Marine... 12" AK polished and blued, "micro-serrated/rough" edge, good for rope and or prying. Stainless .357, if going semi-auto get something plastic with some fancy rust-proof coating. Quality Ammo, god knows what salt water does to powder over time. Carbine in same caliber as handgun, and a Shotgun with various loads. Bird, buck, slugs, and flair, all will be desired. Maybe a .22 too, as has been mentioned, for shooting those fish. Multiple water tight ammo carriers, and bricks in ziplock baggies, keep all ammo as dry as the day you bought it. Finally, BreakFree CLP and lots of it!

My dream set up is Ruger Blackhawk Convertible, 45ACP AND 45 long colt, one cylinder for each. Paired with a Wincester Trails End in 45 long colt. That combo and my 18" AK and I would feel secure in just about any situation.

Bobwhite, the real advantage of such a combo is ammo availability with the .45ACP, former Nato round, is everywhere, and if you needed a heavier slug at higher velocities, the 45 Colt has it. Like your thinking.

munk

Guys thanks for all the info on the .45 Cal.Colt. I sent the info on to my son.
Sam knows that I'm more of a knife fellow instead of guns, but he knows little about either.
However he does like goot uns whether knife or gun.:)

He was an acting Platoon Sergeant in charge of training at Camp Shelby for a while and did really well at the task, E-7 in an E-8 slot.:D
However one night he was setting up some artilliary simulators rigged up with cord to trip them off.
Sam laid down the CS Trailmaster that I got for him, sharpened, blued and fixed up in general, then picked it back up and proceeded to hammer with what he though was the spine.:rolleyes:
Sadly to say the 1st swing he made resulted in a lot of pain!!!!:eek:
The CS went through his nail almost to the bone.
The medic just happened to be his brother in law and as far as I know Sam has never to this day told him how he got the injury.:)
That's why I like a knife that can be oriented in the dark.

Every once in a while Sam still thanks me for teaching him to shoot left handed.
My father got Sam a bb gun when he was about 7 and Sam couldn't hit anything he shot at.
Sam had been diagnosed with a lazy eye so when he came and told me he couldn't hit anything I showed him what to do.
His left eye was the strongest and dominant so I got him to shooting left handed and his problem disappeared.
Sam said without me teaching him to shoot left handed that he would've never made the military as he wouldn't have been able to qualify with the rifle.
I oughta take my AK-47 up and let him and my grandson both try it out.
Maybe he would get one of those rather than the Winchester.:D

The only real gripe I have against the AK is lack of accuracy. If two humans possessed amongst them one AK and one Mauser 98, I would feel better about their chances for survival. You see, the Old Mauser can hit things at 800 yards.

munk

I agree that the AK47's aren't tack drivers. But they are one hail of a combat weapon! Their biggest advantage is that they WORK in most all conditions. The early M16 was a death trap. Today they are much better however. But I like a .30 caliber bullet. My $.02 :)

For a fast close up shootout up to 75yds an AK really cannot be beat.
Its fast points well and is very reliable.
Uncle sugar still issues them for field use in small ops. I have used some of these "fixed" AK's and can say they are as accurate as you need and can be very sweet to use, I have seen them used offhand to shoot off " body parts" at 40 yds without problems. We could never move as fast or get as many good shots with the 16 while moving.

A fixed ak is as accurate as a fixed 16. The only problem is the cost in fixing the barrel,gas port, bolt,trigger job and changing the sights. The cost can be several hundred in parts alone, but it can be done.

This is from my own experience and not second hand info.

O.K., 1. combat sit. Ruger stainless ranch rifle. Glock 17 15"ak

2. survival sit. Savage mod 24 20ga./30-30. ruger mk11 Volquartson grips, laser sight. 15" ak

3 Marine sit. Same as combat sit.

Originally posted by SamuraiDave
OT: Anybody ever "pull" some of this surplus 8mm Mauser ammo and reload it with modern components to see what this copper coated steel jacket on these 197gr projectiles are relly capable of?

Dave - never pulled any surplus ammo, but I've handloaded a ton of 8mm rounds using all new parts. When I use 150 grain spire points, my old sporterized German WWII Mauser will outperform my .308 Win. The higher weights don't quite keep up with the .308 ballistics, but they're respectable enough. :cool:

Semper fi, they really have improved the AR, haven't they? Trouble is, from everything I can tell, the news, even reports from the field in HI, the weapon is prone to stoppage in dirty conditions.

When the thinks about the old, "too many moving parts" Garand, it was not prone to stoppages.

Though the Pentagon has yet to call me for advice, I think the military should have two AR weapons, one with gas pistons, and the current one. Use the gas piston (AR18) in certain situations. And many parts are interchangable.

But no one listens to me. I think we could have gone to a 6mm and kept some of the attributes of a heavier bullet.

munk

China, all the records formerly held by the M14 have fallen to the accurarized AR. With all due respect, I don't think the AK is in the same club, even accurized. And if accurarized, wouldn't you lose some of the vaunted reliability because of the close tolerances? The Israelis have an AK system weapon, the Galil. It is reported to be accurate and easy to fire, though not on the same target level as the AR.

I love ballistics and gun talk, China, but I certainly don't have your military experience.

The AK 74 with the improved muzzle break has been tested to fire more quickly with accuracy than the AK with the old or new brake. Do you have any experience with that? I'm planning on putting a 74 brake on a rifle soon.

munk

Munk,

Speaking of the Galil, I have tried them side by side with accurized ARs/M16/ M4 and they are equal with my test results.

As far as the AK 74, they tend to be quite accurate (especially the CUstom Marc Krebs versions). They don't recoil as much as the 7.62 X 39 AKs in full auto (due to the lighter bullet and very efficient muzzle brake). Horrendous flash though!

You should try the Marc Krebs AK 74 muzzle brake (exact copy of the Russian units) and place a Buffer Technologies buffer assembly. In my experience it makes the 7.62 X 39 AKs recoil like a 5.56 AR!

Check out Marc's site: www.krebscustom.com

As far as wound ballistics go, the Soviet 5.45 X 39 is more devastating than the current NATO SS109 5.56 X 45. I have seen these rounds in actual use, from the Gulf war, Somalia (friends report), and Afganistan (friends report).

In gelatin tests, the 5.45 has a J shaped wound cavity once it enters the body. I would like to see the current 5.56 copy the bullet construction of the 5.45 (steel outer jacket covered in copper, lead and steel core near the base of the bullet, and a hollow cavity in the front section of the bullet).

I think this would be cheaper that replacing the caliber of the M16/ M4.

The 5.45 X 39 has proven itself in Afganistan and they respect the AK 74 and round combination.

Just my .02 worth . :)

I've read Ed Harris reporting on wound ballistics from Fackler and others. The oft quoted ability of the 7.62 X 39 to 'tumble' is greatly exagerated. You're right about the newer round.
as for accuracy, I doubt the AK variants could ever match the AR= less moving parts. But we've seen in the gun world an ugly duck can shoot swans many times.

munk

Munk, I was talking to one of Fackler's assistant on the 5.45 round. He hated testing the round because the 5.45 would do it's classic J pattern in the gelatin blocks and the round would fly into the roof or walls. They had to use larger blocks. The temporary and stretch cavity (with femur bones cast in the blocks) were devastating.

DOn't get me wrong, I use the M4 for CQB work now, but I use the Hornady TAP rounds in it. I have tried the baby AK74 in that roll for testing and I was impressed. You can get a replacement gas tube with a picatinny rail now, mounting a modern HUD sight on it is great!

Hey! I said 7.62 X 39; not the newer round. I've also read those results in gelatin.

Broken arrow, problem: either through bullet construction ( ability to deform) or rate of twist per given calibre and bullet weight; a round can 'tumble' in some amount of soft tissue- like a man. If you design the rate of twist to marginally stabilize the round- you have less accuracy. Bullet construction would seem the way to go. So, to the meat: what is wrong with a heavier round being able to do the same? Why so little? A deforming bullet is not reliable. Results vary.

How close to 'dum dum' will we go?

I like 30's.

munk

Back