Out cutting

Save your efforts. I can assure you he's not there. But it's still nice to get out and hike.
Yes, you must go a bit further to the north and west before entering bigfoot country. I only know it from following its tracks in the snow one late Autumn night way out in the hills there many many years ago now.

Last edited:
But that's extremely lucky,to've seen the tracks!:)

I want to see,to meet one very much...Our local variety is called Nik'inla'eena'.

Nik'inla'eena' (also known as Nik'il'eena): The Woodsman, a hairy wild man of the forest. His name literally means "sneaks about," for he moves through the wilderness silently and rarely reveals himself to humans. Frequently he steals things or causes other minor mischief, and in some stories has been said to capture Athabaskan children.

But that's extremely lucky,to've seen the tracks!:)

I want to see,to meet one very much...Our local variety is called Nik'inla'eena'.

Nik'inla'eena' (also known as Nik'il'eena): The Woodsman, a hairy wild man of the forest. His name literally means "sneaks about," for he moves through the wilderness silently and rarely reveals himself to humans. Frequently he steals things or causes other minor mischief, and in some stories has been said to capture Athabaskan children.
Not to sure that question was appropriate. So edited.

Last edited:
No,Garry,not exactly...People here speak practically the same language as Navajo and Apache,but stories are quite different...But,a Lot have been lost,too,as well as much not told to interlopers such as myself...But no,i never heard tell.

Alaska is huge,and was always very sparsely populated.And even a few dozen miles up or down the Yukon alone things-dialects,stories,religious practices-may change significantly.
Around here the stories of Nik'inla'eena are kind of heavy,and sad...Many believe that they were people once,that have been forced by hardships to commit an atrocity such as cannibalism,and have self-isolated themselves as punishment...

Way up Yukon and south into Copper river drainage Ahtna Athabaskans tell stories of two kinds of "woodsman",one Sasquatch-like,and the other little ones,with long tails...There stories are told of wars between them and humans.

And when i briefly lived way south and west on Alaska Penninsula,there Aleut and Alutiq people tell of woodsman in a much more lighthearted way,they're not scary or sad&lonesome,but more pranksterish and amusing...(though still not many would actually appreciate running into one...).

It's kinda hard to get the exact take that folks have on woodsman around here...Definitely Not something you want to happen to you,running into one.Yet,many stories involve woodsman doing a person some kindness,in a totally unselfish manner.Like appear out of nowhere(and scare the hell out of a person by effortlessly keeping up with a fast-moving snowmachine)to warn of a bad trail hazard up ahaid,open water et c.
Story usually ends in how it saved a person his life,or at least much trouble,but there never seems to be much gratitude or even sympathy..Just fear,and being glad to've escaped alive(in spite of no one ever having been threatened or hurt by a woodsman...).

No,Garry,not exactly...People here speak practically the same language as Navajo and Apache,but stories are quite different...But,a Lot have been lost,too,as well as much not told to interlopers such as myself...But no,i never heard tell.

Alaska is huge,and was always very sparsely populated.And even a few dozen miles up or down the Yukon alone things-dialects,stories,religious practices-may change significantly.
Around here the stories of Nik'inla'eena are kind of heavy,and sad...Many believe that they were people once,that have been forced by hardships to commit an atrocity such as cannibalism,and have self-isolated themselves as punishment...

Way up Yukon and south into Copper river drainage Ahtna Athabaskans tell stories of two kinds of "woodsman",one Sasquatch-like,and the other little ones,with long tails...There stories are told of wars between them and humans.

And when i briefly lived way south and west on Alaska Penninsula,there Aleut and Alutiq people tell of woodsman in a much more lighthearted way,they're not scary or sad&lonesome,but more pranksterish and amusing...(though still not many would actually appreciate running into one...).
I actually had second thoughts about asking that question but I see you answered and where not offended so must have been alright.:thumbsup:
It was indeed the language that made me curious about shared beliefs. Thank you for the insight.

Athabaskans are a gigantic language group,some dialect of this language is spoken from Alaska all the way across the continent to Hudson Bay...And south as far as Mexico...(also of late the scientists decided that Yenisei Kets are also Athabaskan...so all the way to Western Siberia in the past at least).
Yukon river is a huge east-west valley(nearly quarter-million sq. miles)between two very high mountain ranges,and it has never become glaciated.During assorted ice ages the ice sheets piled up these huge hills,but never came tumbling down into the valley itself.
So it became this huge refuge for the last of the mega-fauna,mammoths,giant sloths,huge cats and bears...And people to be sure.
The Bering Straight,the sea separating Alaska from Asia was then a plateau,a giant plain...(it's still very shallow today,with nary a deep-water port anywhere...).So the scientists propose that people have slowly migrated East,and eventually South,through the Yukon valley,and eventually down to South West.
The very ancient people that were there already there like the Hopi have it freshly(you may say)in their lore,when these warlike,restless Athabaskans first showed up(and what a pain in the ass they were to deal with).Carrying nothing but their weapons,and an ability to learn Anything new they ever came across.Eventually they became expert horsemen,and sheepherders,and weavers and potters and silversmiths...All these things they picked right up.

So the theory goes,that the scientists hold as most likely, to date.Athabaskans here,however,don't think that much of scientists:)...Fortunately i'm not a scientist,i'm just a stray ne'er-do-well,who lived here over 30 years...so they're much kinder to me...(i'm friends with quite a few scientists though,and get a bit of flack for that...but in a more or less gentle way,people here are ridiculously kind and decent...).

Well it's clear enough what's going on then. Yeti has simply shadowed the Tibetans coming down off the plateau, establishing, in a reversal of how it is now, their domination from Shanghai to Outer Mongolia with the inevitable expeditionary elements moving in a big arch up through Siberia out over the land bridge at the Bering Straight, fanning out from there in all directions and in the meantime shifting from a written down to oral means of knowledge transfer, (being constantly on the move like that), facilitating the diffusion of the language. I'd always suspected it myself, still, in terms of those tracks, I don't feel there was ever much predisposition on my part, me being more or less ignorant of all this at the time.

Last edited:
Yes, I have been told this by my sasquatch enthusiast friends. I've also been told that they leave no scat because they eat it. Now think about that. Today they eat yesterday's scat which must be passed again. Tomorrow they must eat yesterday's scat again along with today's scat. I once did a calculation of how many pounds of scat a 10 year old sasquatch must consume every hour to keep this up. It would be fistful after fistful 24/7.

Interesting beliefs, those sasquatch folks.

Yes, I have been told this by my sasquatch enthusiast friends. I've also been told that they leave no scat because they eat it. Now think about that. Today they eat yesterday's scat which must be passed again. Tomorrow they must eat yesterday's scat again along with today's scat. I once did a calculation of how many pounds of scat a 10 year old sasquatch must consume every hour to keep this up. It would be fistful after fistful 24/7.

I think I will order steak and lobster.

What I am seeing out there these days are trail cams everywhere. I don't have numbers but it is a significant amount. So a Sasquatch should be coming along shortly. Wait for it....
And take a second glance around at your surroundings before you dig that cat hole. Getting harder and harder to find a little privacy.

That's why I asked the question do you want the sasquatch to be real! I'm an anti-thiest(RIP Christopher Hitchens) and there aren't aliens to believe in yet. So, though I don't believe it, I'm eminently excited at the thought of bigfoot being real. I WISH it were true! But some of the arguments for it are very funny. Epstein didn't kill himself.

Athabaskans are a gigantic language group,some dialect of this language is spoken from Alaska all the way across the continent to Hudson Bay...And south as far as Mexico...(also of late the scientists decided that Yenisei Kets are also Athabaskan...so all the way to Western Siberia in the past at least).
Yukon river is a huge east-west valley(nearly quarter-million sq. miles)between two very high mountain ranges,and it has never become glaciated.During assorted ice ages the ice sheets piled up these huge hills,but never came tumbling down into the valley itself.
So it became this huge refuge for the last of the mega-fauna,mammoths,giant sloths,huge cats and bears...And people to be sure.
The Bering Straight,the sea separating Alaska from Asia was then a plateau,a giant plain...(it's still very shallow today,with nary a deep-water port anywhere...).So the scientists propose that people have slowly migrated East,and eventually South,through the Yukon valley,and eventually down to South West.
The very ancient people that were there already there like the Hopi have it freshly(you may say)in their lore,when these warlike,restless Athabaskans first showed up(and what a pain in the ass they were to deal with).Carrying nothing but their weapons,and an ability to learn Anything new they ever came across.Eventually they became expert horsemen,and sheepherders,and weavers and potters and silversmiths...All these things they picked right up.

So the theory goes,that the scientists hold as most likely, to date.Athabaskans here,however,don't think that much of scientists:)...Fortunately i'm not a scientist,i'm just a stray ne'er-do-well,who lived here over 30 years...so they're much kinder to me...(i'm friends with quite a few scientists though,and get a bit of flack for that...but in a more or less gentle way,people here are ridiculously kind and decent...).
I wouldn't completely disagree with them and I must admit I got a certain amount of satisfaction over Kennewick man. I wonder if there are any craniologists still employed and what are they going to do with all that data they have collected through the years?

You guys of course are right,there is a peculiar lack of any physical evidence.
Of course here,in AK,it'd be easy to try to hide behind the sheer vastness of the place,and the new-ness of science,it's relative helplessness before the scope of the quest.
(A few short years ago a bit north of me the first ever in AK Clovis find was made...(and an almost-suspiciously large one at that,in excess of 400 objects...).
Paleontological record here in the "valley" is also sketchy,limited mostly to the larger animals,where the smaller/rearer ones could,concievably,have been overlooked to date.

But all of the above is admittedly flimsy.Yet,i'm with Josh-i so Want there to be Bigfoot!:)...What to do?!...
I've no liking for assorted conspirology,that's all of course utterly silly.
But ever since youth i do have a kind of a soft spot for Castaneda:)...And his more "scientifically" justified relatives like Joseph Campbell("The Power of Myth" et c.).
Maybe Bigfoot exists in our neurology,somewhere deep...Afterall,so much is associated with experiences under severe stress,in inordinary circumstances,lonely,remote locations...
We all know that our perception of reality is not Immediate,that we in actuality we see the world upside down,say,and in our mind only turn it right side up.
Maybe the Bigfoot is deep within ourselves,like the legendary Golem...:)
To quote another deep work of philosophy-"The Velveteen Rabbit"-"...the little boy has made him Real..."...:)

(goodness,David,what has your poor thread turned into!:))

Back