Outdoors Survivin!

Haha! So once the loud, needy newborn arrives, you're heading out to the woods???

Congratulations by the way!

haha what silver said! Definitely congrats.

We kinda whiffed on the lights, I brought all my absurd LED flashlights, but those heat up and aren't meant for continual use. a lantern however would have been nice. The only one we had was 46 yrs old and did not work...ha... the fireplace threw some light and we used headlamps when required, a sad lack of preparedness on our part there!

This cabin has been refurbished, far less rustic than some, but still not "modern" I added the 1st photo because when we rolled in friday night, it was pitch black dark and i had my head lamp on. Luckily her eyeless gaze is mounted to the wall around human male height, so when i turned and caught that soulless scowl with my light...gave me a bit of a startle...

Well, two lovers unsupervised in a cabin, who needs a bunch of light anyways?

That old lady sure is something, but at least for me it could have been worse. I can't imagine many things creepier than a little girl ghost :eek:

Yea I was happy to give it a bump too, We came here last yr, so 2x now, might make it an annual trip. The PATC owns a bunch of cabins along the AT that are mostly turn of the century or older. This one had no running water/ no elec/ no heat. We did have an awesome wood stove though and actually got the one side of the cabin up to about 75 (outside was 30). It does have mice living in the walls, which get really active when you heat her up, and of course feels haunted thanks to that creepy ass photo... I also may have converted a few guys into potential survive customers. None had ever processed wood with a knife before and the first night everything was wet so getting into the dry core was helpful. I forgot how fun splitting wood with a maul could be too (on a purely limited basis...)

That cabin sounds perfect other than the mice! I can deal with a creepy photo but I hate little critters.
That's great that you got some people interested in processing wood. Doing stuff the old fashion way feels like a bigger accomplishment.

It was very nice to unplug, just a guys weekend though, no unsupervised lovers :rolleyes::eek: haha My buddy just sent over a pic from the outside which i managed to miss... They basically built a modern cabin around an ancient one and put insulation in between (which the mice are eating away...)

It was very nice to unplug, just a guys weekend though, no unsupervised lovers :rolleyes::eek: haha My buddy just sent over a pic from the outside which i managed to miss... They basically built a modern cabin around an ancient one and put insulation in between (which the mice are eating away...)

WHOOPS!!!!! I thought I read "she" in your post, but I think I got mixed up with you and our daddy-to-be. Sorry to you and your bros! The place looks awesome! Very cool! Too bad about the mice and evil spirits, though...

Thanks, that's the plan. We go quail hunting ever year this weekend. So hopefully we get to go.
Good luck :)

Its called. GSO 12
Ah yeah! Good call!

I was picturing a small creepy cabin! That's a great looking place!

haha its kinda funny, the outside looks like a normal house, the inside looks like something from 1880, all the floors sag and creak and the doors are at best 6'2" openings if not smaller, but it is big and near a fair amount of trails.

They have an outdoor winter festival a couple towns north of us, we ran up there for the weekend. Chasing critters or hitting the woods is more to my enjoyment, but the family gets a little tired of roughing it all the time, ha. Anyway, it made for pretty good picture taking. Ice sculptures and snow bike races, along with a parade and an outside bar sculpted like a huge fish were some of the attractions.

Well shoot, the fish bar pics didn't come out and photobucket is on the fritz so I guess that's all. Hope you guys had a good weekend.

Last edited:
haha its kinda funny, the outside looks like a normal house, the inside looks like something from 1880, all the floors sag and creak and the doors are at best 6'2" openings if not smaller, but it is big and near a fair amount of trails.

Oh ok! That's kind of what I envisioned! Something small with barely any headroom and creaky floors.

That looks like a cool festival HK! That Polaris looks like it could come in pretty handy.

Yeah I'm thinking the guy with the snowed-in car was wishing he had one :) I'd like to try one out.

They have an outdoor winter festival a couple towns north of us, we ran up there for the weekend. Chasing critters or hitting the woods is more to my enjoyment, but the family gets a little tired of roughing it all the time, ha. Anyway, it made for pretty good picture taking. Ice sculptures and snow bike races, along with a parade and an outside bar sculpted like a huge fish were some of the attractions.

Well shoot, the fish bar pics didn't come out and photobucket is on the fritz so I guess that's all. Hope you guys had a good weekend.

That looks like a ton of fun! and given how much of our snow has melted, makes me think our storm would have been but a normal afternoon for you guys!

Hell we drag each other around on the bumper of our pickups while we ride a sheet of tin with a feed sack. We only ever see ice. Very little snow here.

That looks way more fun HK!

That looks like a ton of fun! and given how much of our snow has melted, makes me think our storm would have been but a normal afternoon for you guys!

No, you guys definitely got pounded. But no doubt it can put down feet of snow in McCall in a short time. Brundage Mountain Ski Resort is only slightly higher elevation than the town, and they got ten feet of snow the month of December. That part of the state is a real snow belt. What we don't get much of is the wind like you all got. Not much drifting, it's just deep everywhere :)

Texas toothpick said:
Hell we drag each other around on the bumper of our pickups while we ride a sheet of tin with a feed sack. We only ever see ice. Very little snow here.

That looks way more fun HK!

Ha ha! Hooky bobbing, at least that's what we call it. Just grab the bumper of whatever is driving by and hope when you come loose it's in the powder and not on the ice :D

Got out and about a little last week. Pics from the bottom...

Pics from the top...

:eek:!!!!!dropped jaw, those views are awesome! Great pictures! Hiking around/camping/hunting?

Back