overpriced blades

It is the similar "model": to what EVERY retail oriented manufacturer out there uses, sir. The problem is that Hinderer decided that they would sell to LEO's and other first responders as if they were a DISTRIBUTOR, not a retailer. But for that, you would probably not really know what the distributor/wholesale price of those knives are and nobody would be able to buy them for that.
Well that's the problem though--and Hinderer created the problem with their business model that only sells to certain people (qualified LEOs, first responders, etc.). They also say that if you want a knife check with their listed retail distributors--but the retail distributors, who presumably are paying the Hinderer direct price--promptly mark up the knife 200+%.

It's really a crappy business model, in my opinion, one that is lining the pockets of a lot of middle men. The Hinderer folks are getting the same amount for the knife; it's the end user that is getting screwed. I also wonder how many of the knives that are purchased direct by "qualified" customers promply turn around and flip the knife for double what they paid then just order another from the company, etc., etc.

But the Hinderer folks don't seem to care.

It's too bad. They are nice knives a lot of decent folks would probably like a chance to own. But it has really soured me on their brand.

IMO Hinderer. All things considered, including politics, If I'm buying a new toy for $800 it's going to be a firearm and not a knife. I just would not pay that much for any pocket knife anyway. YMMV.

No knife is overpriced if you are looking for one you are going to carry and use for years to come.
On another hand if you collect or rather accumulate them like I do: there are always quite many which are overpriced. But then the perception changes as you go...

As much as I love my 2 Gypsy Jacks and Mini Commander, the premium Emerson's command is about $75, give or take, over what I see them as. That said, they're extremely solid, well-built and machined knives and seeing "Made in USA" on the blades just makes me feel a tad better. Much like having the Fender waterslide on my guitar's headstock over anything save for boutique axes. :)

It's only overpriced, if it doesn't sell.

Take an economics class please.

Funny :D

I believe we have a first semester macroeconomics student here... Homo economicus and all. Don´t forget to read the other chapters in the book, those that discuss other aspects of economics than supply and demand.

/C.

the people who are saying benchmade is a little overpriced I don't think know where you should go to buy one at a good price ;) hint, it's not Amazon.

also to the people who get their undies in a bunch and say no knife is overpriced, come on now you know what the original question means, it just wants peoples opinions on the least bang for buck.

with that said, I feel al-mar is definitely a bit high. beautiful knives and I wouldn't blame any one for buying them, but the cost for what you get seems a bit off

I agree that the nitpicking over the overpriced thing is a little unnecessary. It is extremely obvious that he is referring to the opinion of personal value in relation to price, not price in relation to market value. If you think that is a stupid comparison, is it really necessary to post about it, if that is going to be your only contribution? I guess it makes you feel so much smarter than others to quibble about exact wordings to the nth degree.

For me, I would go with street price from online dealers as my metric, since that is how I actually purchase most items. Benchmade Gold Class definitely qualifies for me, a markup of 1000% for a change in materials seems excessive, unless it was made out of high quality jewelry metals/gems. Putting CF handles on a knife does not add $300 to the value IMO. Emerson seems overpriced to me just based on my gut reaction, but I don't like how they look or feel, so I am a bit biased. The high end Cold Steels certainly qualify, but I do think a lot of their sub $100 knives are good value based off of design and reliability (not so much on materials, except maybe the Voyagers). Gerber also seems overpriced, they have a lot of knives in the $50-$100 range that are made out of worse materials than most $30 knives, and have terrible fit and finish on top. Really disappointing that they dominate the knife market at B/x's, since similarly priced Spyderco's/Benchmades, and even Cold Steel/Kershaws are so much better.

I also believe that if you are going to use whichever knife as a daily tool then, it justifies whatever amount you are willing to spend on your purchase.

In my own opinion, most anything from TOPS. Mostly old-tech 1095 (which, I've said elsewhere, is fine steel when properly heat treated, since it's been around for ages and is still in widespread use), a lot of basic, flat micarta scales, not sure where the money goes. Probably goes to the multi-page ads in certain publications showing off some silly names and touting the nasty places where hardcore men carry them. Might have some decent sheaths, but those I've handled haven't been anything special. But if you like them, enjoy!

A knife becomes overpriced when its performance does not meet the price tag it commands. In my opinion at that point it falls into one of two categories: piece of junk or work of art. The difference between the two is that one is crudely manufactured or designed, but the other has the potential to transcends mere functionality into artistry.

Honestly I am not a knife collector and I never will be. In my opinion a knife is a mirror of the soul of the person who owns it, and only with use can it truly manifest itself as an extension of our will. This reflection of self is evident in our ancestors as well as today, for when anthropologists want to learn more about a civilization they study the tools that they left behind. Using only this information they can determine how these people lived, what they ate, how they fought, etc...

That said a piece of art can have value in and of itself. Snody's along with other custom knives are pieces of art that possess an intrinsic beauty that is in themselves valuable. In my opinion when this is the case its functionality as a tool becomes a secondary factor, for as a work of art it already contains a soul of its own. This is the soul of the maker who spent so much time crafting and designing this piece of art so that it reflects part of his/her very self, and I think that two grand is a pretty cheap price for part of someones soul...

The only parting thought I wish to make is that if, in the future, an anthropologist comes across your knife what will it tell them about you?

-MC

I like my Microtech Socom Elite a lot, but for $250 I would like some Titanium handles maybe. Or at least a glass breaker that doesn't rattle....

For most people, any knife that costs over $30.
Think about that next time you get all high and mightly about the over-spending of others.:D

Hinderer's are incredibly reasonably priced. Direct order (I know LEO's, Mili, EMT) is right at $400.

However, the Hinderer secondary market is stupid.

Agreed. I bought a XM-18 at the price he asks, and it was well worth the money. Would I buy one at the secondary marked price? No I would not. Not because it`s not woth it, but because I don`t want to fuel the already high resale fire that makes people think a Hinderer is worth 7-800$, second hand.

Some people also mentioned Emerson Knives. These are fairly low production numbered knives, that are entirely made in America. Even the screws, of course they are more expensive that a overseas made knife. I think both Emersons and Hinderes are well worth the money they cost.

On the other hand, I feel some Bokers are very overpriced, as well as some Bark River Knives.

IMO, Brian Tighe is extremely overpriced for a knife made on a CNC mill, rather than hand scrubbed, proud blades.

Back