overpriced blades

Typically, I would consider Benchamdes slightly over-priced. I see them almost comparable to Spyderco in quality, choice of materials, but if you break it down and compare the two brands overall, Benchmade seems like you just do not get as much for the money as you can with Spyderco, and look awful next to Kershaw. That is very general, and just something I noticed while cruising knife websites and amazon. I do not think it is fair to throw second-hand market in the conversation, but as far as production knives from a large company I would go with Benchmade.

You realize that Benchmade makes more knives than the Griptilian, right?

Yeh but same goes with the others that I had like the onslaught, pardue, and Osbourne. All were well designed but still felt cheap.

If they sell quickly by definition they are not overpriced.

Thats spot on. A Hinderer or a ZT0560 is overpriced for me, but other folks are buying them, so they really can't be broadly characterized as "overpriced". And some folks say that the Al Mar Eagle Ultralight, for example, is not worth $100 or whatever, but its worth it for me. The average person walking down the street would say its about $80 overpriced.

Truly overpriced knives just don't stay in production for long, because no one buys them. Or, more often, the price comes down to what the market will bear.

IMG_2196.jpg

Al Mar Eagle Ultralight. Yes for me, no for you.

Yeh but same goes with the others that I had like the onslaught, pardue, and Osbourne. All were well designed but still felt cheap.

Gotcha.
You should check out a place that has a wider selection, if possible. I haven't held the Onslaught, but those other two didn't interest me either. It always hepls to try in hand before buying.:)

Unfortunately, my favourites are discontinued, but the same goes for Spyderco often.:(

But they always come up with something new I like...which I then have to buy before it becomes discontinued.;)

It all boils down to how much of a penny pinching miser a person is. Some folks love to amass high quantities of low dollar production knives, they don't stop to think that those 3 cold steel Recon 1s and 3 Spyderco Enduras = a nice Cf/Ti Framelock with good steel.

It all boils down to how much of a penny pinching miser a person is.

harsh bro! is there something wrong with being frugal?? I work hard for my money, I want to spend it right.

And I think its more about what you expect to get for your money, I don't mind dropping some serious cash on a knife or anything for that matter but that's only if I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. that's me though

Gold class Benchmade's.
I remember seeing the first one they put out(or think it was the first, a damascus fixed blade with bolster), and though I have to have that beauty.

When I saw the price I though it must be a misprint, but wasn't. I also remember thinking you could have a similar custom knife from a top maker made for a lesser price.

Let's dispense with the econ101 lessons. I think everyone directly answering the OP's question understands that they are talking about their own opinion.

+1 on this big time:thumbup:

Gold class Benchmade's.
I remember seeing the first one they put out(or think it was the first, a damascus fixed blade with bolster), and though I have to have that beauty.

When I saw the price I though it must be a misprint, but wasn't. I also remember thinking you could have a similar custom knife from a top maker made for a lesser price.

Al mar's expensive for the material you get. The S2ks have gone up quite a bit in the past couple of years. 3 years ago I picked mine up for $130 at a gun show, now I'm seeing them on eBay for $185+. Expensive for what you get but still a great knife .

Gold class BM's are overpriced (IMO), but I think most of their other offerings are worth the $.
Everyone I work with thinks I'm crazy for spending hundreds of $'s on knives, so "overpriced" is a matter of personal opinion.

this thread is purely opinion. to some people all knives are overpriced. to some people a s90v para2 is overpriced but it depends on if that is the last one you need to complete your collection or your grail it probably will be worth the extra cash. Before I had a hinderer I thought they were overpriced. Now I have one and think what rick charges is underpriced for what you get. It is all biased on what you like and what you have.

If I cannot afford it, it's overpriced.

So right now, judging by my finances, any knife which costs more than $15 is overpriced.:D

I think many of the smaller sized ESEE blades are VERY overpriced. $100 for a water jet cut piece of 1095 borders on the absurd.

That said I really like my ESEE 3 :D

harsh bro! is there something wrong with being frugal?? I work hard for my money, I want to spend it right.

And I think its more about what you expect to get for your money, I don't mind dropping some serious cash on a knife or anything for that matter but that's only if I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. that's me though

Most of us work hard for our money, save and invest when possible. There are people that literally earn $1000s a month and the thought of a $200 knife is a no go. For me, I'd rather have a few really nice knives than a tub full of junky ones. Quality over quantity for me.

Most of us work hard for our money, save and invest when possible. There are people that literally earn $1000s a month and the thought of a $200 knife is a no go. For me, I'd rather have a few really nice knives than a tub full of junky ones. Quality over quantity for me.

Exactly correct. :)

I think many of the smaller sized ESEE blades are VERY overpriced. $100 for a water jet cut piece of 1095 borders on the absurd.

That said I really like my ESEE 3 :D

I would think it costs just as much to make a small one as a large. Tools, shop overhead, labor, sheaths, warehousing, shipping, accounting/legal/bookkeeping, packaging... the cost of a few extra ounces of 1095 is pretty much insignificant compared to all of that.

what are the most overpriced blades on the market in your opinion?

for me Al Mar is pretty high up there. I love their designs but $100 and up for a blade with so little materials and in AUS-8? seems.... steep

Overpriced, High End, or Expensive - not sure what you mean. The $5 dollar cheapies at the register of your hardware store may be considered overpriced. I will not buy one, so they must be "overpriced".

Retzius, I hope your ESEE 3 didn't cost 100.00, you might have gotten taken for a ride! :eek:

Back