Overused and/or trite words of the Knife World

Perhaps this was already stated, but I cringe when I read "dent" instead of "detent".

Am I missing something? Is a "dent" a real knife term that doesn't refer to surface damage, as in, "I drank a bottle of whiskey, fell, and dented the scale on my knife"?

Well in a roundabout way, a knife's detent incorporates a dent, and this dent has a lot to do with how the detent functions.

Mentioned before, but when there are too many letters and numbers mixed together in a knife’s model to make you think it is “tacti-cool.” Another word i dislike. If I wanted tacti-cool I would have gone to the mall or flea market to buy a cheap copy.

Good point, Mecha. Not only that, my comment spurred me to do more research and there is in fact another appropriate knife term: the Boye Dent!

Indeed!

this.

everyone talking about "IM SO HARD ON KNIVES, I NEED A HARD USE KNIFE, IM JUST SOOOOO TOUGH ON MY KNIVES!"

knife then gets used to open amazon boxes and maybe every now and then it gets used to cut their 7yo's apple.
I’m usually part of that crowd as well. I can’t remember the last time I hung a 500 lb engine on my Recon 1. :D She does just fine opening boxes though.

I’m usually part of that crowd as well. I can’t remember the last time I hung a 500 lb engine on my Recon 1. :D She does just fine opening boxes though.
i like heavy duty knives and dont fault people for liking them either but 90% of the time someone is rambling on about how hard they are on their knives....well...if i rolled my eyes any harder my retinas would detach and fly to pluto.

“Gentleman’s knife“ It implies there should be a ”Lady’s knife” and I have always been partial to unclouth knives that render things apart. Also, I can never be sure whether the speaker is referring to small knives or some sort of art knife. Besides, wouldn’t any knife carried by a gentleman be a gentleman’s knife?

N2s

“Gentleman’s knife“ It implies there should be a ”Lady’s knife” and I have always been partial to unclouth knives that render things apart. Also, I can never be sure whether the speaker is referring to small knives or some sort of art knife. Besides, wouldn’t any knife carried by a gentleman be a gentleman’s knife?

N2s

I think the gentlemen are supposed to take care of all the cutting for the ladies?

I also don't get the gentlemen thing.

I always imagine a fedora wearing neckbeard saying Mlady unironicaly.

M'lady, wouldst thou care to cut thine package open with my gentlemen knife. I am a gentlemen after all. *tips fedora*

Gentlemen wear tophats, neckbearded hipsters wear Trilbys...badasses wear fedoras.

"Sharp" as used to describe the quality of a new knife is a pet peeve of mine.

Cheap gas station knives come sharp. Glass can get sharp. Neither of those are examples of quality. It's fine to mention if a brand does well, but more often both Youtube reviews and even here it's passed off as a sign of quality of blade steel, overall quality of the knife, and other things to which it really has no relation.

Bought a Hyundai, came with a full tank of gas. What a great car brand, and I highly recommend it. Came so full of gas you can tell it's high quality. Watch how well it cuts paper...err drives down to the end of the block and back. Gauge still shows full!

Back