Overused and/or trite words of the Knife World

What's a "Karen" exactly?
It’s an Internet meme describing an easily offended woman who throws a tantrum if things don’t go her way, may or may not demand to “talk to your manager.” If she hates knives for example and sees a pocket clip on your person, you might get an earful.

knife.png
👀

"Piece of kit"

Like they're some kind of Marinesupersecretsquirrelninjarangerdeltafarce commando...

The term that annoys me the most is Overpriced.
If a knife (or any product) is successfully selling at that high price, then it isn't "overpriced" - you just can't afford it, or choose not to spend that amount on that knife
for any reason. If it were actually "overpriced" the maker would lower the price so that it would sell.
The term is entirely dependent on the economic perspective of the individual. And even with the same individual. For example what I considered "overpriced" when I was 25 years old is nothing to me 40 years later.

Haven't read the whole thread so I presume it have already been mentioned.

But the hydraulic feel on the sebenza is mentioned A LOT over the years.

The term that annoys me the most is Overpriced.
If a knife (or any product) is successfully selling at that high price, then it isn't "overpriced" - you just can't afford it, or choose not to spend that amount on that knife
for any reason. If it were actually "overpriced" the maker would lower the price so that it would sell.
The term is entirely dependent on the economic perspective of the individual. And even with the same individual. For example what I considered "overpriced" when I was 25 years old is nothing to me 40 years later.
I distinguish between expensive and overpriced based on the competitive value to informed buyers. Take two custom knives, a Warenski and a tracker Dan. One of those is expensive, the other I could make a better version of myself for 5 percent of the sales price...

I distinguish between expensive and overpriced based on the competitive value to informed buyers. Take two custom knives, a Warenski and a tracker Dan. One of those is expensive, the other I could make a better version of myself for 5 percent of the sales price...
As I said, the term is entirely dependent on the economic perspective of the individual. And that includes the "value" to the individual buyer.
If Tracker Dan knives are selling successfully at those prices, it's expensive, not overpriced.
But for a buyer who values a knife comparatively, those Tracker Dans will appear "overpriced".

Here is a good example. Let's take a Randall 1-7 and a Blackjack 1-7. I've had both knives at one time.
In your opinion is the Randall "overpriced"? And would it still be "overpriced" if the Blackjack didn't exist?

As I said, the term is entirely dependent on the economic perspective of the individual. And that includes the "value" to the individual buyer.
If Tracker Dan knives are selling successfully at those prices, it's expensive, not overpriced.
But for a buyer who values a knife comparatively, those Tracker Dans will appear "overpriced".

Here is a good example. Let's take a Randall 1-7 and a Blackjack 1-7. I've had both knives at one time.
In your opinion is the Randall "overpriced"? And would it still be "overpriced" if the Blackjack didn't exist?
I can agree for the most part, but there is a fuzzy boundary between what you are talking about and getting into misrepresentation (e.g., a "battle-ready" katana made from non-hardenable steel).
For a given product, if there is even a niche market that exists over time for well-informed buyers, then I agree with you.

(You assumed I wasn't talking about the Warenski?)

I can agree for the most part, but there is a fuzzy boundary between what you are talking about and getting into misrepresentation (e.g., a "battle-ready" katana made from non-hardenable steel).
For a given product, if there is even a niche market that exists over time for well-informed buyers, then I agree with you.

(You assumed I wasn't talking about the Warenski?)
Yes, I wasn't talking about the Warenski, because I consider a custom knife that is known for it's "art" aspect rather than it's "functional" aspect to be in a different category. Anything considered "Art" falls into a huge grey zone of undefinable valuation, and can be worth a fortune or garbage depending on the eye of the buyer. Or the opinions of "experts".

The existence of Niche Markets is what allows knives like Randalls, Rocksteads, and most Custom makers, to charge what they do and remain in business.

The only one that sometimes bothers me is "Damascus", because it's not a type of steel it's a treatment/process. Instead of telling you which steels were combined the industry standard is to just say "Damascus" and think that's enough. It's pretty, but sometimes trying to figure out what steel they used is pretty annoying.

Back