Para 3 Lightweight

I just read on knifenews that its completely linerless, has and an embedded compression lock. Similar to the native 5 LW but with more curves?

The more I hear about this knife, the more & more I'm liking it!

u.w.
The Para 3 already has a lot of fans. I imagine this version will do for it what the LW version did for the Chaparral: making it more attractive to potential owners by reducing the price and weight. The Para 3 has the added bonus of an improved clip.

The Para 3 already has a lot of fans. I imagine this version will do for it what the LW version did for the Chaparral: making it more attractive to potential owners by reducing the price and weight. The Para 3 has the added bonus of an improved clip.

I don't like or hate the clip, but I do like it less than the other type of clip. It does drive me crazy that its tip up carry only though. But I still like it enough to carry it.

I think it would've been cool if they could have incorporated both options in the same location so you could have one or the other but its fine.

I'm slightly concerned about the embedded compression lock leaf, and I wish we could get @Sal Glesser to elaborate or reassure us of how it was done and how durable we should expect it to be? I know spyderco doesn't put out junk or untested blades, but since I haven't seen it before (personally) I'd like to understand for my confidence in it. :)

I might be in for one, I sold all my knives 3 inches and under. This is going to be not a home run, but a damn grand slam for Spyderco I’m thinking.

I hope that we will see the same treatment with the Sage and Para 2 series - linerless compression lock and lightweight frn.

Looks like a nice knife, except that I really dislike wire clips. But I doubt I'll pull the trigger; I'm happy enough with my basic G-10 Para 3.

Jim

This knife does seem to be a great idea that took a long time to come to fruition; and a reaction to the bugout,
But BD1N steel?
Why not stay with tried and true VG10?
The bugout has S30v.
All other factors being the same; (except para3 is less expensive)small clip, plastic handles, light weight, the bugout tips the scales IMO.
I’m not stirring up anything, just opining Spyderco could have gone with a better steel.
BD1N is one of the highest performance non PM stainless steels. Edge retention is considered a notch below S30V, while having good toughness and great corrosion resistance. I've been thrilled about the change from BD1 to BD1N because it's a genuine marvel of steel tech, it's like LC200N before steroids, and is the first non PM steel to wow me on performance.

So the Para3 Lighweight in CPM BD1N makes this comparable to a Benchmade Mini Griptillian in 154 CM? I'm just asking a question about general comparability of steel, size, and price, not brand preference.

BD1N is one of the highest performance non PM stainless steels. Edge retention is considered a notch below S30V, while having good toughness and great corrosion resistance. I've been thrilled about the change from BD1 to BD1N because it's a genuine marvel of steel tech, it's like LC200N before steroids, and is the first non PM steel to wow me on performance.

Are you saying it's above or below LC200N in terms of performance? I'm not clear what you are saying?

RE: BD1N vs Lc200N... My opinion is it will have less corrosion resistance, equal toughness[resistance to chipping], more strength[resistance to edge rolling], and better wear resistance[resistance to dulling]

Are you saying it's above or below LC200N in terms of performance? I'm not clear what you are saying?

LC200N has higher edge retention and corrosion resistance, but should be lower on toughness. Both BD1N and LC200N are similar in they are higher nitrogen steels, not possible with past tech for steel manufacturing. LC200N is safely in the super steel classification for performance, being virtually impervious to rust while outperforming S30V by a good margin on edge retention. BD1N is a phenomenal steel still, and in the most budget friendly range is easily a top end performer, running somewhat comparable to D2 in edge retention while being tough enough and highly corrosion resistant.

Nitrogen is some neat stuff when it comes to cutlery steels, even older steels like N680 have impressed me in performance.

I don't know how the Delica can co-exist with this knife. Such a value only better. On release the only thing the standard Delica has in it's favor is color choice and a little thinner blade for a bit slicier performance. Price gap is hardly a big factor as they are so close.

Post 73 and 74 basically said quite opposite things about the comparison of the two steels.

Delica has a thinner blade and lockback, which some people prefer. But I agree with the continuous price increase, it might be losing the competition.

Only similarity between Delica and Para 3 is length. They're completely different. Also the Delica is one of Spyderco's best sellers. It's not going anywhere.

LC200N is safely in the super steel classification for performance, being virtually impervious to rust while outperforming S30V by a good margin on edge retention.

I remember Sal told us LC200N was below VG10 in edge retention, so you are saying VG10 outperforms S3oV?

I don't know how the Delica can co-exist with this knife. Such a value only better. On release the only thing the standard Delica has in it's favor is color choice and a little thinner blade for a bit slicier performance. Price gap is hardly a big factor as they are so close.

Yep, not the same, and will not affect my love for the Delica 4.

And, if they were really so close, why would anyone pay more for the P3LW and not just get the D4?

Back